Where to play gerrard - Our 55 million pound question

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby aCe' » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:02 pm

I amongst others seem to be suggesting that Gerrard's return will help some of the players around him improve their game. Of the names mentioned were Carroll, Bellamy, Suarez, Adam, and Henderson. I find it interesting that our expectations of Gerrard are of such magnitude given his long spell on the sidelines. More interesting is the position we expect him to fill.

Realistically, there are only 2 positions where you would expect Gerrard to operate given our system . CM or behind the striker. That said, the notion of playing him down the right flank in a Henderson-like role is one that shouldn't be dismissed if our formations for this season are anything to go by.

The way I see it, our main problems atm come from the middle of the park lacking in quality and more importantly balance. The Lucas-Adam axis is yet to get it right and tbph Henderson is being carried more often than not. That leaves us with 2 good candidates that could logically be replaced in Adam and Hendo without much complaining from either.
Further up the pitch, we have problems of a different nature. With Suarez guaranteeing his spot as our main forward, the question of whether to include Kuyt or Carroll to support him has made for interesting discussion so far. While Kuyt has proved to be a good foil for Suarez in many occasions so far, a case could be made for Carroll not getting the support he needs from wide areas and more importantly deeper positions (Nolan?).
Other factors come into play such as Bellamy's shout for a starting spot given his good displays or even Maxi's inclusion given his linkup with Suarez and his excellent goals/assists record whenever given the chance.

For me, its a simple one. Gerrard plays where he's most effective. Might mean that the likes of Kuyt and Bellamy would have to play in wider areas to get games, and that our 55million duo of Carroll and Henderson are resigned to bench warming roles, but so be it.

This is what I'd go for

Lucas         Adam/Spearing

Kuyt/Bellamy          Gerrard          Downing/Maxi

Suarez 

Give the Lucas-Adam-Gerrard trio a few games to try it out but I still think that Spearing would be the better option in terms of providing defensive cover and overall balance. Moving Gerrard back to accommodate one more attacking option (Gerrard behind Kuyt+Bellamy+Downing+Suarez) might work against the smaller sides at home but I'm not sure we can consistently pull it off.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:52 pm

Id stick him out right and let Adam and Henderson occupy the middle, Downing on the left.

That said I can't believe after how much we have spent we are still lacking in midfield. A bit fkd off if im honest.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:13 am

Easy. Stick him in the middle - his best position!
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:14 am

has to be in the middle for me and whether thats in the hole or in cm i couldnt care.imo thats were he will be most effective for us and so far this season every team we played at some stage or another has coasted straight through the middle of us with ease,time and time again.
kelly and hendo on the right side with enrique and downing on the left and stevie and lucas in the middle.
we need some steel in the centre and were lacking that atm.
we could have done with aqua and merieles this season.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby jimmy brighton » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:19 am

Play Gerrard to plug any gap in midfield and more. I can't understand anyone saying we haven't got a deluge of talented midfielders that aint a match for any midfield in the country? Three of them are just getting used to playing the Liverpool way and it doesn't happen overnight.
It just takes time..............
joey ate the frogs legs
made the swiss roll
now he's munching gladback
jimmy brighton
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:20 am

tubby wrote:Id stick him out right and let Adam and Henderson occupy the middle, Downing on the left.

That said I can't believe after how much we have spent we are still lacking in midfield. A bit fkd off if im honest.

Adam looks clumsy & slow & Henderson looks lacking confidence & unwilling to take any risks.

Gerrard in the middle for me, his presence alone commands some respect. I can't see him being as effective from a winger role.
killerp

Postby redtrader74 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:01 am

Lucas

Gerrard.            Maxi

Kuyt.      Suarez.      Downing   

I would certainly like to see this line up, simply because it would be fluid, and these are the only players we have that have the brains and experience to interchange and cover each others positions. Bellamy could then come on for any of Suarez, Kuyt, Maxi and run a defence ragged in the last 30 minutes. It would also allow us to drop in Henderson, Adam and Carroll when it's appropriate, reducing the pressure on them, so that we might see their best.

Additionally if we can get Johnson back we would have fantastic attacking strength on both flanks.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby redtrader74 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:11 am

tubby wrote:Id stick him out right and let Adam and Henderson occupy the middle, Downing on the left.

Adam and Henderson should not be starting any league game, unless we have a horrific injury list. Henderson's confidence is non existent and he would be best served being allowed to start league cup games and coming on in the league when we hopefully have a lead. Adam is 25 and should be the prime of his life physically and is not, stick him in the gym on the 300 workout, (did one today and nearly threw up) and make sure he is fit or keep fining him until he is. It is unforgivable that a player is not in peak condition.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Aussie Style » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:59 am

Reina
Johnno Carra Agger Enrique
              Lucas Adam
     Gerrard  Suarez  Downing
                 Carroll
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby peterc1992 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:23 am

Id play when everyone is fit
        Reina
Johnson  Skrtel Agger   Enrique

Lucas
                      Adam
Gerrard        Suarez          Downing
                             Kuyt

With Gerrard suarez and downing roaming wherever they want.Kuyt up top.All very technical players.No need to cross because carroll is not there.Pass and move all plaeyrs are comfy on the ball.

Maybe change Carroll wiht Kuyt but we need downing to get wide and Gerrard to get wide but we cant waste him our there..K

Kuyt suarez gerrard downing adam lucas have great movement and all play good footy.Throw maxi in instead of dirk and stick suarez up top in some games and its all the same.
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:27 am

You dont have a world class central midfielder and stick him out wide! his best position is in the middle.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:56 am

What would sticking more than 55-60mill worth of players we bought this year alone on the bench say about our dealings ?
I agree that all of Adam, Henderson and Carroll havent shown enough to warrant a starting spot yet but for me, we'll need to bring Carroll into the starting 11 sooner or later (not sustainable keeping a 35million player on the bench, not even for the biggest sides in the world) and that could play a big factor in Kenny's decisions. Another thing to consider is Gerrard's fitness at least in the short term with him coming back from injury. The most demanding position is that CM spot and if we play him there without enough support then his attacking tendencies might leave us a little exposed in the back.
Personally, I'm completely against the idea of playing him down the right at this point and my biggest concern is that Kenny would continue to try and fit the likes of Henderson Carroll and Adam into the starting 11 in any way, shape or form, thus leaving Gerrard having to fill the gaps left in midfield and potentially limiting his attacking tendencies and his ability to linkup with Suarez.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:22 am

Kenny Kan wrote:Easy. Stick him in the middle - his best position!

:nod   Nail on Head.

We've got Bellamy and Downing to fill the wide positions, surely that's why we signed them ?.

Oppo managers must sigh with relief whenever they see Gerrard pencilled into a wide position as regardless of how well he performs in that role it takes him away from the thick of the action.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:14 pm

This question is an easy one.

Because I think that no matter if you play Gerrard in CM, AM, right midfielder, or left midfielder, you'll get an improvement of the starting eleven right now.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:17 pm

Put him in the middle and put Henderson on the bench
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion