Where are they now? - Obscure red players of days gone by...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby crazyhorse » Fri May 09, 2008 10:42 am

I am not a great one for starting threads, but thought this may prove to be a bit of light relief after the weeks gone by...

There are loads of ex Liverpool Players out there who have either not quite made it or to be honest have been just plain rubbish. Most if not all have gone into obscurity, and are never heard of again.

I propose to start with someone possibly thought to the the worst every player to play for the club - SEAN DUNDEE.

I will start things off with a bit of an intro... Maybe other members can then post recollections, pictures, and facts as to where he went from the club..

"South African striker Sean Dundee has been labelled in certain quarters as quite possibly the worst player to have ever donned the red of Liverpool.
Signed by Roy Evans from German side Karlsruhe for £2 million in the summer of1998, German national Dundee arrived at Anfield just before Gerard Houllier arrived as joint manager.

Dundee had publicly declared in a newspaper interview that he was "as fast as Michael Owen." Liverpool fans would soon find out that this was not to be the case.

The signing was a strange one of sorts because his previous season saw him score just three goals in Karlsruhe's relegation to Division Two.

Dundee made his Liverpool debut pre-season in 1998 in a friendly 3-1 win at Crewe Alexandra, coming on as a half time substitute for Karl-Heinz Riedle. Liverpool fans then got a better glimpse of him when he appeared in the Carlsberg Challenge tournament in Belfast with Liverpool.

First impressions of Dundee was a very tall striker but not exactly setting the world alight. When season 1998-99 kicked-off Dundee was in the reserve team before appearing on the first team bench for a UEFA Cup tie against Valencia at Anfield.

He made his debut as a late substitute for Michael Owen in the Worthington Cup win over Fulham at Anfield in October. After another substitute appearance in Valencia he was then out of Houllier's first team until the end of April, when he made three substitute appearances but looked completely out of his depth.

His sale to VFB Stuttgart at the end of the season brought an end to his Liverpool nightmare.. "
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Fri May 09, 2008 10:44 am

2 Million? ???? Crikey!!
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri May 09, 2008 11:13 am

According to his Wikipedia page, he's been plying his trade in Bundesliga 2 at Kickers Offenbach.

Hold the tears back though... the Kickers Offenbach page says that he's retiring this summer. So no Fowler-style comeback then.
ivor_the_injun

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri May 09, 2008 12:20 pm

Eric Meijer, now he was a legend :D
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Fri May 09, 2008 12:25 pm

he was playing for Alemannia Aachen scored 19 goals in 92 games ( torres better watch out ) although he is 38 now so bringing him back might be a gamble, maybe we could get him and add him in on the barry deal :D
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri May 09, 2008 12:37 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:Eric Meijer, now he was a legend :D

seen eric in dortmund celebrating after the UEFA Cup Final in 2001. absolutely mad as a hatter that guy. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby GRAHAM01 » Fri May 09, 2008 12:56 pm

here are a couple of belting signings

Hungarian: Istvan Kozma

Danish: Torben Piechnik

both Graeme Souness signings
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri May 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Torben Piechnik......he was an AWFUL defender.

I always wondered what happened to Rob Jones. I know he quit because of injury, but what does he do now?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Fri May 09, 2008 2:05 pm

I have read that Rob Jones runs a nursery!
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri May 09, 2008 2:35 pm

A mate of mine delivered pizza to Rob Jones a few years back. He's got a massive house on the outskirts of Warrington.

Missus is fit as f*ck as well, apparently.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Reg » Fri May 09, 2008 2:53 pm

Whats Jan Molby upto these days? I saw him at the LFC v Arsenal FA Cup final back in Cardiff as I was having a pint at the Guinness stand outside the ground before the game. 

Always was a big lad..... :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenbyname_redbynature » Sat May 10, 2008 12:06 am

vladimir smicer...i've just been on this site that gives you plenty of info about the club and one of the bits on it is the shirt numbers all our players have worn in the premiership...smicer number 4 ??? did he or is this a fuck up.

oh yeah and what's he up to now. he retired yet?
greenbyname_redbynature

Postby NANNY RED » Sat May 10, 2008 12:34 am

greenbyname_redbynature wrote:vladimir smicer...i've just been on this site that gives you plenty of info about the club and one of the bits on it is the shirt numbers all our players have worn in the premiership...smicer number 4 ??? did he or is this a fuck up.

oh yeah and what's he up to now. he retired yet?

I think hes still playin im sure he plays for Slavia Prague

Do you know what i still have nightmares over that man :laugh: i remember in Istanbul when he had the ball i was screamin for him to pass it . :censored: pass it . pass the ball your :censored: :laugh: then the next words out of my mouth were oh yes i :censored: love you :laugh:

But in my nightmare he passes the ball :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenbyname_redbynature » Sat May 10, 2008 12:38 am

NANNY RED wrote:Do you know what i still have nightmares over that man :laugh: i remember in Istanbul when he had the ball i was screamin for him to pass it . :censored: pass it . pass the ball your :censored: :laugh: then the next words out of my mouth were oh yes i :censored: love you :laugh:

was this in open play or for the penalty  :p

couldn't agree more though, i dreaded him shooting (both in the match and the pens) but when both went in he became an instant hero in kop folk law.
greenbyname_redbynature

Postby Thingy » Sat May 10, 2008 1:39 am

Salif Diao? I know he went to Stoke on loan for a couple of years but did he sign permanently? Im sure he did . He was awful. 5 million quid for a load of garbage.
Thingy

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion