When excitement ruled the kop - Looking back with pride

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby oldredeyes » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:55 pm

As perhaps one of the older guys in the group I can't help feeling sad about the way the current batch of supporters are being treated. I remember all the Shankly days and our rise from the ashes of the old second division to the kings of Europe. We had great nights at Anfield- nights and days that sent tingles of excitement down your spine as we watched our heroes take on the best in the world - and give them a lesson in football and entertainment. I remember seeing players like Peter Thompson, a left winger we bought from Preston who made the hairs stand up on the back of your neck whenever he got the ball. You just knew he was going to do something magical. The list of similar players that you all know is endless. So I've been lucky, I've seen some of the best teams that Liverpool ever produced and enjoyed it all. But I feel sorry for the kids alongside me at the matches these days. No excitement no fervour no passion and no skills that would send you home knowing you supported the best team in the world. I feel sorry for the guys who never saw those great red teams, because you are being short changed now - despite the fact that you are all still the best and most honest supporters on the planet. The passion and the creativity may not be evident in the team these days but it is still alive in the supporters. Keep the faith guys I know it will improve and you will experience the excitement yourselves. Keep up the excellent comments and opinions - it's great to read them.
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:40 pm

oldredeyes I too have the same sentiments as you,although I was a kid in the sixties;I was overwhelmed by the whole occassion of the match.It was only in the seventies did I begin to understand the complexities of the beautiful game.My kopite education was at the hands of Mr Bob Paisley,with passing references to Shanks.My feelings of despair are not for me,but for the fans who are hoping we regain the respect of England,Europe and the World once again as a football power.It may sound conceited but I've been so fortunate to follow our beloved Liverpool during the "GLORY YEARS" and would love the new generation of fans to live those days.Sadly,I am not sure the management at Anfield can deliver,although I do believe the players are their,it's the way we play that has to be rectified.
    Keep posting oldredeyes,I thought I was the auld git.      :D
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Fowlersghost » Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:50 pm

By gad ur right old red eyes! And we don't even have to look all that far back - i was a kid in the 80s and loved watching Barnes, Rushie etc. strutting their stuff even in the uneasy Heysel disaster period!!! Man they could still pass a ball!
It's true that the new boys: Fowler, Macca, Redknapp etc let Man Utd grow to immense stature under their noses but at least back then although unpredictable they could still produce a great passing game! The team now is suffocated with useless mediocre foreign players always grinding out an uninspiring win or losing toothlessly! It's true that the club needed an overhaul but Houllier must be bumped upstairs or something and O'Neill must be snapped up. If Houllier's foreign misfits don't catch on this year he would have severely damaged the club as the transfer market is at a low. This year MUST be his last chance although if he doesn't take it a lot of damage would already be done to the club. The problem is even when they won those 5 trophies LFC wasn't exactly winning in style! And his treatment of Babbel has really disappointed me.
Fowlersghost

Postby taff » Thu May 05, 2005 2:01 pm

Found this in the archives

made a good read.  How close was tuesday to the old days?
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu May 05, 2005 2:06 pm

Thought the Old guy had come back for a minute there, oldredeyes was a fine addition to this forum.  Never posts anymore. :( :(
jonnymac1979

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu May 05, 2005 2:10 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:Thought the Old guy had come back for a minute there, oldredeyes was a fine addition to this forum.  Never posts anymore. :( :(

My eyes widened too when I saw oldredeyes' name on the thread.

Sorely missed. :no
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu May 05, 2005 2:23 pm

It's amazing how things have taken a turn for the better in less than 2 years since Old Red posted that (well, in europe at least)

Wonder where Old Red is these days...           can't help thinking he might have passed away  :(  Anyone know just how old he was?
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu May 05, 2005 2:29 pm

Sorry guys didnt want to upset anyone. ust liked the post and how things have changed lately  :)
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Thu May 05, 2005 3:03 pm

I thought I seen a post from him in a recent topic - recent as in about a month ago! I'm near 100% sure on this!
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu May 05, 2005 3:06 pm

according to his profile he last posted on June 9th last year
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion