Whats our best 11 ? - Lets sort it out

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:39 pm

Week in week out many of us submit our 11 for the upcoming game.

Thought it might be interesting to see what team the Newkit collective see as their best 11.

Never mind whether it's the prem, fa cup or CL . Assume all the current squad are fit and give us your best 11 that you'd field week in week out for the rest of the season  (we'll assume they all stay fit and in form). I'll total up the nominations next week and post what WE think overall is our best team.

My choice.

.                                 Reina

.  Finnan          Carragher       Agger         Arbeloa

. Pennant         Gerrard         Masherano    Kewell

.                       Torres       Crouch
Last edited by woof woof ! on Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby red37 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:43 pm

REINA

FINNAN   CARRA     AGGER    ARBELOA

PENNANT   GERRARD  MASCH   KEWELL

BABEL      TORRES

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Reina

Finnan      Carra     Agger    Arbeloa

Gerrard      Mascherano  Alonso    Kewell

Babel     Torres
account deleted by request

Postby Bammo » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:09 pm

Assuming everyone's fit and confident (will this ever happen ??? :D )

Reina

Finnan        Carra          Agger      Arbeloa

Alonso
Pennant      Gerrard                      Babel

Torres        Kuyt
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby murphy0151 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:08 pm

Pepe

Finann CArra Agger Aurelio (When fully fit)

Babel  Gerrard Mascherano Kewell

Torres   Kuyt

Benny
Arbeloa
Xabi
Itandje
Crouch

Id ave to say this for me.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:44 pm

who are our best XI footballers? certainly Gerrard, Carra, Reina, and Torres make the list.  I think most people would have to include both Mascherano as well as Alonso in that list as well. that is 5 or 6 players that are locked down. leaving 5 or 6 more to go. Assuming a 4 at the back formation:

1 of which must be a CB partner for Agger:
Hyypia has played well, but its obvious that he has lost a step and that if Agger ever gets fit he will play ahead of him. 

2 of which must be fullbacks
Its hard for me to tell out of Finnan, Arbeloa, and Aurelio or Riise which combination of the 2 is best.

then 2 or three for the rest of em:
Deciding between Yossi, Kewell, and Pennant, and then choosing between Kuyt, Babel, Crouch, Voronin, and if you want 3 of that group to play you have to choose to sit Alonso.

I think when picking the team, the Gerrard issue becomes a big deal.  Because he is our best  player should we automatically play him in his best suited role and as such build the team, or choose his partners based on his needs.  I think that this thinking is what gets us into our relying too much on Gerrard and Torres problem.  Stevie is probably the most versatile player on our team, and even when he plays out of position and you say he didn't look like himself today, he can still play those roles better than pretty much anybody else on the team can.  So what would happen if we made our best XI assuming Gerrard wasn't fit, then decide who the weak link in the chain was, and replace it with our best player, turning a weakness into a strength instantly.

But I have grown fond of this new experimental lineup than I thought of yesterday, and it is based on an idea I got form BigMick's post about Lucas, as well as the assumption that Skrtel will live up to what his transfer fee says he is worth:
                                              Reina
                Skrtel                      Carra                     Agger
                                           Mascherano
    Gerrard                                                                       Aurelio
                                               Lucas
                       Babel                                       Kewell

Torres

Subs: Itandje, Arbeloa, Yossi, Alonso, Riise
JoeTerp

Postby Scottbot » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:52 pm

Reina

Finnan   Carra   Agger   Arbeloa

Gerrard  Alonso  Masch   Kewell

Crouch     Torres
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:06 pm

here's  mine. based on what we've seen players do and not what we hope we might do if they played in a certain position (hence no babel up top even though i like him a lot). i don't see how our current best 11 can include players in positions they're not used to. that's how we got in this stupid blip in the first place IMO

.                  reina

. arbeloa   carra   agger   aurelio

.pennant  masch  gerrard  kewell

.         torres      crouch

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mark 23 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:29 pm

It all depends upon who we play, so this thread is just a huge waste over everybodys time. Let talk about who would should sign, as if real life is as simple as Football Manager  2007
Mark 23

Postby JamCar05 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:47 pm

Mark 23 wrote:It all depends upon who we play, so this thread is just a huge waste over everybodys time. Let talk about who would should sign, as if real life is as simple as Football Manager  2007

Not everyone believes it depends on who we play though. Some believe we should always put out our strongest eleven and not worry about the opponent, whereas others believe we should accomodate our lineup to whichever opponent we are up against (Rafa surely belongs in this group  :) ). Anyway, this thread also clearly specifies, that you are to name your personally favoured team assuming everyone is ready and fit and not caring about what game it is, but only caring about fielding the strongest possible team in your eyes - the team you think most other teams should be worried about playing (at least that is my interpretation of the thread  :D ).

Anyway, I'll post mine up later.
JamCar05

Postby bigmick » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:57 pm

Mine would be this.

Reina

Arbeloa        Carra   Agger      Aurelio

Gerrard        Lucas   Masherano  Kewell

Torres           Crouch
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:35 pm

Ahhh, the semi-regular 'name your best 11' thread which always seems to demonstrate that, while most of us can name a core of nailed-on starters, we rarely see a strong consensus for a complete best 11.  Which, of course, makes the persistent "FFS Rafa, just cut out this rotation lark and play your best 11" shout from some quarters (not you, Big Mick, I know... :D ) ring a little hollow.

In the spirit of things, however, I'll name the 11 players I'd like to see take to the pitch for us at the moment (subject very much to change).  I've put the nailed on starters in bold--the lads I want to see in the team every week.  I rate the rest of those chosen but their natural limitations/changeable form from week to week makes me more willing to see them rotated as form and circumstances dictate (depending very much on the quality of their replacement, of course).  I've included the subs I would consider rotating into the team in place of the non nailed-on lads, in order of confidence:

Reina

Finnan    Carragher  Agger     Aurelio

Gerrard   Alonso    Mascherano      Kewell

Babel       Torres

Subs:
Arbeloa (for Finnan or Aurelio)
Crouch (for Babel up top or for Kewell, with Babel moving to LM)
Pennant (for Alonso/Mascherano, with Gerrard moving to CM)
Lucas (for Alonso/Mascherano...but would he offer more?)

So, bottom line, that's 15 core players I've selected to work with, preferably in at least a loose 4-4-2 almost all of the time (you've won me over, Saint :D ).  We have other lads (Benayoun, Hyypia, Riise, Itandje) who are useful but maybe shouldn't be getting a game bar injuries (Skrtel's probably in that list too but he's an unknown quantity at this point).  We also have some lads (Kuyt, Voronin, Sissoko, Leto) that probably shouldn't play for us again.

I don't know if my preferences fall into the rotation "Rafa-style" category but I think they illustrate why at least some rotation makes sense--until we start buying/cultivating some more 'bold-worthy' players, that is. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Mark 23 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:59 pm

JamCar05 wrote:
Mark 23 wrote:It all depends upon who we play, so this thread is just a huge waste over everybodys time. Let talk about who would should sign, as if real life is as simple as Football Manager  2007

Not everyone believes it depends on who we play though. Some believe we should always put out our strongest eleven and not worry about the opponent, whereas others believe we should accomodate our lineup to whichever opponent we are up against (Rafa surely belongs in this group  :) ). Anyway, this thread also clearly specifies, that you are to name your personally favoured team assuming everyone is ready and fit and not caring about what game it is, but only caring about fielding the strongest possible team in your eyes - the team you think most other teams should be worried about playing (at least that is my interpretation of the thread  :D ).

Anyway, I'll post mine up later.

Its too general this question i'm afraid, it should have more context, as in 'your 11 against [insert variable]'.
The variable could be struggling side, european side, a group of fouling :censored:, etc
Mark 23

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:20 pm

I would play:

Reina

Finnan     Carragher     Agger     Aurelio

Gerrard   Mascherano   Alonso    Kewell

Torres      Crouch

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mark 23 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:23 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:I would play:

Reina

Finnan     Carragher     Agger     Aurelio

Gerrard   Mascherano   Alonso    Kewell

Torres      Crouch

That would be a quality team at home to a lesser side, good post, just lacking the variable
Mark 23

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion