whats acceptable this season?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:44 pm

tadhger09 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:29 pm wrote:
woof woof ! » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:20 pm wrote:Not sure what you point is, would have thought given his price and potential Eriksen was a perfect fit for the Moneyball theory.

His price wouldn't qualify him as part of the moneyball theory, too expensive, too much wages and with too great a risk attached to it in terms of sell on value given the money spent and the position in the 11 he plays. Sturridge but more so Coutinho is a prime example of it.

Fair enough, I don't know what wages he's on but the reported fee of around £10 million that Spurs paid for him is small beans for a player of his quality and not that far above the money we've paid for lesser talents.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby tadhger09 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:02 pm

woof woof ! » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:44 pm wrote:
tadhger09 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:29 pm wrote:
woof woof ! » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:20 pm wrote:Not sure what you point is, would have thought given his price and potential Eriksen was a perfect fit for the Moneyball theory.

His price wouldn't qualify him as part of the moneyball theory, too expensive, too much wages and with too great a risk attached to it in terms of sell on value given the money spent and the position in the 11 he plays. Sturridge but more so Coutinho is a prime example of it.

Fair enough, I don't know what wages he's on but the reported fee of around £10 million that Spurs paid for him is small beans for a player of his quality and not that far above the money we've paid for lesser talents.

The transfer strategy has really changed since the days of Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing. Buy cheap with a small wage and set incentives for players to aspire to, in other words kind of like a rolling contract in terms of wages being reviewed after each season pending on performances, appearances, assists, clean sheets  and goals etc.
tadhger09
LFC Basic Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:24 pm

Yet the club spent more money on Sakho that Eriksen went for - Allen also was more than Eriksen. The owners are looking for "value for money" and players with a resale value.
Benny The Noon

Postby Pig Catcher » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:35 pm

Or maybe Rodgers just didn't think he was what we needed right now.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:38 pm

I never rated Eriksen as highly as others do but you could see he is a very talented who could definitely have provided us with a creative edge alongside Coutinho. Especially at the price he went for.
Benny The Noon

Postby tadhger09 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:48 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:24 pm wrote:Yet the club spent more money on Sakho that Eriksen went for - Allen also was more than Eriksen. The owners are looking for "value for money" and players with a resale value.

Yeah and players who haven't quiet made it yet and come here on a moderate wage.
tadhger09
LFC Basic Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:50 pm

All depends on what is classed as a moderate wage.

We will miss out on players because of the apparent "strategy" , players that could possibly really move us forward
Benny The Noon

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:14 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:50 pm wrote:All depends on what is classed as a moderate wage.

We will miss out on players because of the apparent "strategy" , players that could possibly really move us forward

who have we missed out on due to this strategy?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Hustler 2 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:34 pm

Despite the flawless start so far, id still be massively shocked if we got 4th, with this squad, being so light in midfield with no decent wingers,.
Get down and Boogie !!!!
Hustler 2
LFC Advanced Member

Postby supersub » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:45 pm

tadhger09 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:48 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:24 pm wrote:Yet the club spent more money on Sakho that Eriksen went for - Allen also was more than Eriksen. The owners are looking for "value for money" and players with a resale value.

Yeah and players who haven't quiet made it yet and come here on a moderate wage.

players and moderate wage .........chalk & cheese....black and white....
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby tadhger09 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:50 pm wrote:All depends on what is classed as a moderate wage.

Kuyt- big wage, sold.
Maxi- big wage, sold.
Bellamy- big wage, sold
Replaced by Sterling.

Cole- bigger wage than Allen, Cole sold.
Carroll- on bigger wage than Borini, Carroll sold.
Pepe- on bigger wage than Mingolet, Pepe loaned out.

I will predict that Skrtel is the next man out the door in the January window, why? You guessed it, wages.

I have no problem with any of this as long as the team doesn't suffer as a consequence and it doesn't detract players from coming to the club. If you remember back to last summer when we were favourite to sign Sigurdson and he signed for Spudz because he was offered a better deal. That was the only one that i am aware of that didn't sign for us because of the strategy.
tadhger09
LFC Basic Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:47 pm

tadhger09 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:34 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:50 pm wrote:All depends on what is classed as a moderate wage.

Kuyt- big wage, sold. (past his best)
Maxi- big wage, sold. (past his best)
Bellamy- big wage, sold Wanted to move back to Wales
Replaced by Sterling.

Cole- bigger wage than Allen, Cole sold.(past his best)
Carroll- on bigger wage than Borini, Carroll sold. (awful signing for a huge amount of money)
Pepe- on bigger wage than Mingolet, Pepe loaned out. (Pepe wanted out)

I will predict that Skrtel is the next man out the door in the January window, why? You guessed it, wages.

I have no problem with any of this as long as the team doesn't suffer as a consequence and it doesn't detract players from coming to the club. If you remember back to last summer when we were favourite to sign Sigurdson and he signed for Spudz because he was offered a better deal. That was the only one that i am aware of that didn't sign for us because of the strategy.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:50 pm

I'm not buying the moderate wages talk. Sakho is on at least 100K a week I would assume. Thats if he took a pay cut to join us. Still puts him and Agger on a higher wage bracket than most CBs at some of the clubs around us like Cahill, Luiz, Ivanovic, Koscieny, Varmaelen, Vertonghen, Kaboul...etc. Toure is probably half that amount; around 50k I would assume.  Moses is on the same wages Chelsea would have payed. Then you have the likes of Henderson who are massively over-payed; earning anywhere between 65-75k depending on the reports you choose to believe (or not if you're in denial). More than that payed for the likes of Ramsey and Arteta and at least comparable if not more than what the likes of Ramirez, Cleverly, and pretty much all of the Tottenham CMs earn.

So no, I dont think we offer low wages unless we're talking about big players who would demand 120+ or risky targets who also expect big money 80+ (Etoo...etc basically another J.Cole situation).
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tadhger09 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:52 pm

7_Kewell » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:47 pm wrote:
tadhger09 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:34 pm wrote:

Kuyt- big wage, sold. (past his best)
Maxi- big wage, sold. (past his best)
Bellamy- big wage, sold Wanted to move back to Wales
Replaced by Sterling.

Cole- bigger wage than Allen, Cole sold.(past his best)
Carroll- on bigger wage than Borini, Carroll sold. (awful signing for a huge amount of money)
Pepe- on bigger wage than Mingolet, Pepe loaned out. (Pepe wanted out)

As i said pal, I don't have a problem with it as long as it doesn't hold the team back. Yes they were past there best but all could still have done a job for the team. They were sold/let go because they were on high wages and there re-sale value was in decline.
tadhger09
LFC Basic Member

Postby tadhger09 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:58 pm

aCe' » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:50 pm wrote:I'm not buying the moderate wages talk. Sakho is on at least 100K a week I would assume. Thats if he took a pay cut to join us. Still puts him and Agger on a higher wage bracket than most CBs at some of the clubs around us like Cahill, Luiz, Ivanovic, Koscieny, Varmaelen, Vertonghen, Kaboul...etc. Toure is probably half that amount; around 50k I would assume.  Moses is on the same wages Chelsea would have payed. Then you have the likes of Henderson who are massively over-payed; earning anywhere between 65-75k depending on the reports you choose to believe (or not if you're in denial). More than that payed for the likes of Ramsey and Arteta and at least comparable if not more than what the likes of Ramirez, Cleverly, and pretty much all of the Tottenham CMs earn.

So no, I dont think we offer low wages unless we're talking about big players who would demand 120+ or risky targets who also expect big money 80+ (Etoo...etc basically another J.Cole situation).

Look into moneyball and you'll find that the a team can can be made up of a few high earners but the rest is made up of players on low to moderate wages. Ian Ayre came out last week and said that Sakho was our marquee signing of the window. Cant see Aspas, Alberto, Mingolet, Toure on big wages.
tadhger09
LFC Basic Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion