whats acceptable this season?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Hustler 2 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:21 pm

Benny The Noon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:12 pm wrote:
StuYesThatStu » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:58 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:54 pm wrote:Played in Germany for 4 years before going to Spain.

Ozil will settle - he is that talented.

Agreed.

I believe Ozil will be one of the players of the season. Fabulous player.

First game , first 10 mins and he creates his first goal already

Why are we not even in the market for players like Ozil? He goes to the gunners, but they havent won 5 european cups. Thats the worrying thing, we dont even bid for these players.
Get down and Boogie !!!!
Hustler 2
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:22 pm

Because we can't afford him and aren't in the CL
Benny The Noon

Postby Doeboy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Reason why we can't go for the likes of Ozil is firstly wages, then the fact we are not in the CL and not being able to compete for the premier league yet. Also the newer generation of players won't relate to what we did in the 70s/80s. They will have grown up watching the likes of Manure, Arsenal, Chelsea winning titles in modern times so they will be a bigger draw for them. Also we can't and shouldn't pay crazy wages after the financial mess Gillett and Hicks left us in. We needed a period of financial stabilisation, which is happening now and things will get better. I know it can be frustrating at times not being able to compete for the top players, but players come and go, LFC will be with us forever.
Doeboy

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:48 pm

Ozil will prove well worth his fee and wages - he is the standard you can get if you spend a bit. Going to make a massive difference to Arsenal
Benny The Noon

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:52 pm

he is the standard you can get if you spend a bit

a bit   :laugh:

reported £42 million Betty,, think that's more than just "a bit"

:p

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:08 pm

Yep and that fee gives them a chance of staying in the CL - well worth the price
Benny The Noon

Postby Doeboy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:25 pm

Ozil is a cracking player no doubt about it and he will do well there. But was he someone they were desperately crying out for? Not too sure about that. I think they needed to strengthen other areas of the team and although he is top draw and you can never have enough top draw players in your squad, I get the feeling he was a signing done to appease the fans as they were really starting to get on Wenger's back.
Doeboy

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:24 pm

So after spending £42 million their ambition is not to win the PL or CL, just to finish in the top 4?
Brilliant!
:bowdown
Thommo's perm

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:37 pm

I'm sure "their ambition" is a lot higher than that but CL is I expect an initial target for them just as it should be for us.
Benny The Noon

Postby Hustler 2 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:56 pm

Thommo's perm » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:24 pm wrote:So after spending £42 million their ambition is not to win the PL or CL, just to finish in the top 4?
Brilliant!
:bowdown

They could win PL with Ozil. He is top drawer
Get down and Boogie !!!!
Hustler 2
LFC Advanced Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:33 am

We can't go for Ozil but we could have went for Eriksen :(. His presence was immediately felt yesterday.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:21 am

to be honest when luis comes back our front 3 will be as good if not better than anyone else`s in the division (although admittedly some teams like city and chelsea have more depth).
i get the sense a lot of these other teams are struggling a bit for team spirit though, when you have huge squads full of massive earners/big ego`s traits like envy and jealousy are not far away.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedAnt » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:47 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:21 am wrote:to be honest when luis comes back our front 3 will be as good if not better than anyone else`s in the division (although admittedly some teams like city and chelsea have more depth).
i get the sense a lot of these other teams are struggling a bit for team spirit though, when you have huge squads full of massive earners/big ego`s traits like envy and jealousy are not far away.

You're right, mate. There's of course good and bad points to most things. A lot can be said for a small, tight unit. The way I see it, if you have a squad like City's, you're bound to be near the top and you'll hammer some teams along the way, scoring for fun. But there will be three, four, maybe more games per season when something more valuable is needed, and the big names won't mean a thing. That's 9, 12, 15 points dropped per season. There'll be deep fluctuation in such teams, whilst our target will be to remain true and steady.

It really is a test for us. The micro-management and attention to detail needed is immense. I hope and believe (from what I've seen so far) that BR is very shrewd and enjoys the finer details.

When you send the likes of Silva out onto the pitch, you tell them to win the game.

When you send the likes of Aspas out, you tell him HOW to win the game. Overall, that's a much nicer way of winning a game for a manager.

It can be done. It's a tough ask, but if BR plots a precise course to triumph, then people will understand that hard work with limited resources is much more satisfying than buying a title.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:21 am

a lot of the other top sides are struggling for form atm, i know it`s a huge ask but if we could somehow win our next 6 league games (before we go to the emirates on november the 2nd) we could really crank the pressure up on them.
it`s usually us playing catch up but wouldnt it be great to open up a 6/7 point lead over the next few weeks and watch the other teams start panicking when there`s only 20 minutes to go and they are still drawing instead of us.
as we well know when your playing catch up every draw (never mind loss) is a kick in the teeth (it even deflates your fanbase) and playing under that type of pressure makes the game a lot harder and that`s what we`ve got to do, we`ve got to put `scoreboard pressure` on everyone else.
imagine the pressure moyes would be under at united if `we` of all clubs started to race away from the pack?
knowing us we`ll probably get hammered by swansea tomorrow (ominiously they are in the bottom 3, that usually spells trouble for us) but on paper we`d start the next 6 games as favourites, we dont have to climb mountains here, just play to our potential.

swansea (A)
southampton (H)
sunderland (A)
crystal palace (H)
newcastle (A)
west brom (H)

united, arsenal, chelsea and city have all got champions league games to contend with in that period as well so they`ll be rotating their squads, as i said if we can win all of those as unbelievable as it sounds the title becomes an option, because any team that starts the season with 9 wins would have to be considered contenders.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:07 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:21 am wrote:to be honest when luis comes back our front 3 will be as good if not better than anyone else`s in the division (although admittedly some teams like city and chelsea have more depth).

Totally agree.

I can't think of a time when the teams with the biggest and best squads ALWAYS finish in the top three places in the league and are the only realistic challengers for the premiership title.

:D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion