What needs to happen for a title challenge? - Pick 3 things

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:41 pm

Turn some of last seasons draws into wins ?

We finished 11 points off the top spot last season. 13 disappointing draws, 26 points dropped , if we had converted just six of them into wins the additional 12 points would have seen us crowned as Premiership Champions.

Call me daft if you like , but I think last season we weren't the "also rans" that many people painted us to be. We only lost four games for christ sake !, one less than the team that won it. If we can impose ourselves on teams that we should be beating out of sight, get the 3 points instead of one, I'm convinced we can win it this season. We've got the personnel, we've had the lesson, hopefully we've now got the bottle to go out and grab the title.

:buttrock

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:10 pm

Fewer draws.

It's the only thing that cost us the title challenge last season.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:27 pm

1. fewer draws

2. goals spread out more evenly

3. play with confidence
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:51 pm

Scottbot wrote:Let's take 'Rafa playing a more settled side AS A GIVEN shall we

If we can take that as a given then that'll do the trick.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:15 pm

1) a quality winger

2) a quality winger

3) just one quality winger
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kunilson » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:30 pm

Definately convert the draws into wins......confidence is a key factor, we need to believe we can beat anyone at any point during a game.

One way of doing that is getting  results against the big teams.......need a good start and a great result against the mancs to kickstart the season
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby RedRoots » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:34 pm

GYBS wrote:
Scottbot wrote:
GYBS wrote:yep agree - we need another player with a little bit of creativity to them - keane will provide a bit mroe but think we still need another person .

Problem is that it's not gonna happen now is it? unless Rafa can pluck some bargain buy from somewhere (i'd almost rather he saved the money tbh) That's why i think Babel is potentially the big hit or miss for us this season. There is quite a bit on his shoulders.

its why i think rafa should just forget barry and spend money on an attacking player.

But that's obviously not going to happen so no point in talking about it, if i ear somebody mentioning Silva i'll snap!!  :D

The 13th of September is going to be a HUGE day for us this season, beating Utd. that early in the season would give us a great psychological edge, because apart from that we've got all the ingredients. It's just down to Rafa now i think, fingers crossed he'll have a blinder this year.
RedRoots

Postby burjennio » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:38 pm

1. get out of the traps early

2.take more points off our main title contenders

3. get everyone from the board to the players to the backroom staff on the same effin page and pulling together for the good of LFC
burjennio

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:18 pm

What needs to happen...

We need to:

1) Focus, concentrate, work hard, focus, concentrate, work hard, work hard, focus, concentrate.

..) Invariably stick with a formation which complements the players we have at our disposal. In practice this means; avoid playing Gerrard on the left or as a second striker, avoid playing Keane on the wing, avoid playing Voronin. Stick mainly with a 4-4-2, or a 4-2-3-1 with Gerrard on the right of midfield, or in the middle.

..) Dossena has to make an impact - a positive one. He is key, we need at least one top quality full back playing well. He has to overlap; he must pose a threat.

..) Babel, if picked, has to show bottle, he has to grow a pair, he has to be picked in the right matches i.e. not against higher quality teams - until he shows improvements.

..) We have to eradicate silly defensive errors, in order to do so; see point no. 1.

2) We have to score 5-10 goals more than last season, in order to do so; Gerrard and Torres have to near enough replicate last season's form. More of our goals have to come away from home. With the arrival of Keane - that should improve, but he himself has to score at least 10 valuable goals, and help assist with as many. Others have to contribute; our support play has to be significantly better - especially away from home, that means the likes of Alonso, Kuyt, Babel, Benayoun/Pennant, (Barry), getting in the right positions - getting in the box, getting on the edge of the area, posing a threat and supporting Keane, Torres, Gerrard. Improve our shooting around the 18yd box, have more shots on goal - Keane/Torres will probably be there to pick up the scraps.

3) Focus, concentrate, work hard, focus, concentrate, work hard, work hard, focus, concentrate.
LFC2007

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:34 pm

1) Have our top players stay fit for the vast majority of the season

2) Find more goals from elsewhere in the side besides Torres and Gerrard

3) Tighten up our defending of set pieces

4) Ensure that blips don't become bliiiiiiips

5) Gamble more late on when drawing matches

6) Go undefeated at Anfield against Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal, while beating at least one of them on their own patch
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby banana » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:17 pm

1. Defensive set pieces
We are almost no threath on attacking set pieces but that is not so much of a concern as we are able to score from open polay. Defensive set pieces is a big concern.

2. Width
Attacking through the middle, down the right and down the left. Not just through the middle. Making this happen is key to beating defenders and stretching the opponent.

3. Injuries
We have four key players: Torres, Gerrard, Reina and Mascherano. Keeping them free from injury is a prerequisite. Especially Torres as there is no striker capable of replacing him.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby rafa09 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:32 pm

1, beat top 3 home AND away.
2, win every home game
3, games away ATTACK,ATTACK,ATTA,ATTA ATTA ATTACK :suspect:
rafa09

Postby rafa09 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:47 pm

1, FATE
2,FATE
3,FATE cos the mange ain,t ever going to catch us. It,s written in the stars
rafa09

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:01 am

1) Cut out the mass rotation.

2) Consistant Refs, when we get a player booked for being fouled, and a player sent off for asking "eh?" you know something is wrong !

3) Take our chances, not just strikers, midfielders also, we have created loads of chances during games and missed about 80% of them.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:31 am

1) alot
2) a whole lot
3) change in rafa mentality
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion