Within 2-4 points of the Champions regardless of position
14%
Within 5-7 points of the Champions regardless of position
19%
Other
6%

Total votes : 104

Postby RedShredder » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:50 pm

You know, I went with 2nd place but then I realized I probably should have taken the 2-4 points position regardless of rank.

I really think that there is so much that could go right or wrong that this early it is just impossible to tell

I will say this though, we have a VERY GOOD shot of doing something special if healthy, imo
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." Bill Shankly
RedShredder

Postby das20093 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:11 pm

In Rafa we trust. Cl and PL next season
das20093

Postby tubby » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:11 pm

I know this thread is for this season written last year but I think for next season we really need to win something. Provide Rafa is able to get what he needs in the summer.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:16 pm

heimdall wrote:
RedBlood wrote:
Rorschach26 wrote:I dont agree with this Rafa needs 2 win the league our hes out rubbish its the best & hardest league in the world & id say were in the top 5 teams in the world right now so i wouldnt swap Rafa 4 any1

United Chelsea & Arsenal will all strenghin next year aswell

As long as were in the title race 2 the very end & we remain strong in the Champions League  & i see an improvement in the squad then i will be happy (not estatic) but i wont see the point in getting a manager

If you improve every year then whats the point

i agree aslong as we are competing well in the league and champions league ill be happy

stability is what we need and sacking rafa would be a massive step back, to say win the league or fu.ck off is ridiculous espeacially when your competing with the best teams in the world most of whitch have a massive advantage in the tranfer market

the only way i would call for a change in managment is if we slipped back into finnsihing 20points off top

i believe rafa and this squad can bring in more silverwere if not this season in seasons to come with a few improvements

OK I'm not going to jump downRafa's neck although I was hugely annoyed with him last night but at what point will your faith with him diminish, will it be in 5 years time when we still haven't won the league becuase that is what I fear happening.

Rafa to me seems to be a fantastic pre match manager in terms of setting up his team etc but doesn't seem capable of finding a plan B or changing things in the middle of the match if things are not working out like yesterday, and that is what separates the good managers from the greats in my opinion.

loooool no team has has more comebacks this season then us, turned defeat into victory and you think rafa never has a plan b??? seriously mate get a grip, do you think another manager would come in with the same resources rafa has and do a better job if so name him please
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:22 am

heimdall wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
heimdall wrote:
GYBS wrote:twice this year we have gon down against the mancs and come back to win ? how many times have we come from behind and won games this year ? as you say rafa has no plan b ? yossi was brought on by rafa at weekend and scored the winner ?

That's a fair point but it's not really a plan B or change of tactics that's just a sub, a damned goos one as it goes but just a sub. I still stand by my statement.

Why does Plan B necessitate a change of tactics or formation to be considered viable?  Surely by now we've established beyond a shadow of a doubt that we are at our most effective when Gerrard and Torres are given the freedom to spearhead the attack.  If it's not producing on the night, why not look to sub in another attacking player in one of the supporting roles as Plan B and keep the fulcrum of our attack intact?  Far too many people on here, IMO, want to see drastic changes whenever we aren't bossing a game.  Yet, time and time again we see evidence that it's the little adjustments that often produce the required results.  Bringing on Benayoun for Kuyt last weekend, for instance.  Sometimes you just have to acknowledge that the gameplan is sound (how could it not be after the evidence of the last few weeks?) but the execution is lacking on the night.

Again a fair point Bad Bob but yesterday it just wasn't working and it wasn't a minor tweak needed but a change in formation maybe or something different. Not saying that would have worked but it would have been something to make Guus think. As it was we continued playing into Chelsea's hands. I know that no team has a divine right to win every game and every now and again you have to accept a defeat but yesterday I thought that Rafa could have tried a few things as we were getting murdered, especially in the second half, it could easily have been a much bigger score line to Chelsea.

What could Rafa off tried that night ? the defenders namely skrtel and fabio were having a mare and they were controlling the game and the ball in the second half - there isnt much else rafa could of done - he brought on subs and tried to change things but sometimes it just doesnt work - if your talking baout the old maureen tactic of three subs at half time etc ? well his team that day still got beat - as well as the time he shoved Huth up front - is that tactical genuis or a move of desperation ?!

ORN has thrown on a young kid up front (when he had no other option ) and the kid has got him some points with a one in a million strike and a lucky deflection ( i bet the kid will disappear soon enough never to be seen again ). Where as in the past rafa has brought on yossi for him to score the winner , babel for him to score the winner .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:36 pm

i voted PL champs, but............I wudn sack Rafa if he failed. I expect to win the league evry season, whether its a justified expectation or not - I was bought up on Bob's teams, watched some great football and dream of those days returnin. Rafa is by far the best we've had in 'the modern era' and I doubt any1 cudda done better with the situations he's worked thru an in. Money aint the only thing, look at the in-fightin this term an last, all the off the field stuff..... shudn affect the players I know, but I guess it does ultimately. Close season aint a make or break, it'd cost the club dearly to see Rafa be sacked, and we simply aint got that kinda cash along with a transfer budget, but any signins will obviously be crucial. Love to see David Villa here - aint gonna appen, David Silva - cant see it appenin, E'too (sp?) but again, I'm doubtin it.

UNLESS........

miracle of all miracles come tonite an we beat the chavs by a big enuf margin an get to face Barca (I aint the only 1 that dont see BM comin back surely!!??!!) in which case the CL this season aint outta the question. We take the CL and finish top or 2nd in the PL then I can see BIG money bein available for players like those mentioned. Who knows, even the likes of Kaka cud be persuaded this end of the Lancs Rd is so much better than the Middle Eastlands. Rafa holds that card, an come the summer armed with a transfer budget that exceeds what he's had previously then more 'Torres type stars' could arrive at Anfield, makin next season that much more lucrative an promisin.

It's all big 'ifs and buts' I know, but then if I had a crystal ball I'd be livin in a bookies, not puttin my tuppence worth here for you lot to laugh ur nuts off at!! :)
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:59 pm

The only thing that is good enough for next season is the belief this team is demonstrating without Gerrard.

They have to believe they can dominate and win without him and number 19 will come.
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby DanAn » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:50 am

I' happy with Rafa regardless of what he does. I think he can win it for us but we probably need to spend 30m in summer for me to have confidence in the players holding up their end of the bargain.
DanAn

Postby DrPepe » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:56 am

DanAn wrote:I' happy with Rafa regardless of what he does. I think he can win it for us but we probably need to spend 30m in summer for me to have confidence in the players holding up their end of the bargain.

yeah that  :buttrock

Even doubters can see he's building/has built a cracking footballing side. We are playing better than the sum of our parts - and that is the sign of a great manager

BUT, we do need a couple of top quality (ie. expensive) players - for those games we all know we struggle with
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion