What did gh do right when you won triple? - Or was it the player who did right then

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thor Viking » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:49 pm

Was it 2002 season the club won three trophees? Something must `ve been very good then, `cause one of the trophees were out in Europe and two were domestic ! Any1 got a good explanation ? I mean,some of you know it all ! :D  :cool:
Thor Viking
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:57 pm

yeah i'll tell you what we had that season which helped us win those three trophies.

1) luck- birmingham should have beaten us in the league cup final (stone-wall penalty in extra-time). Arsenal played us off the park in the fa cup final and we scored twice in the last 10 mins. we also won the uefa cup against 9 men via an own goal after throwing away a 3-1 half time lead. the gods were with us.

2) a great defence- our success, particularly in the uefa cup was built on a phenomenal defensive record. babbel- henchoz-hyypia-carragher. clean sheets away to barcelona, porto and roma for example.

3) gary mcallister- an old head provided stability and experience in midfield. lack of pace made up for with a great football brain and a brilliant delivery at set-plays.

4) heskey (yes heskey) was also scoring goals for fun that season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Thor Viking » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:06 pm

So you`re saying it had nothing to do with GH ? It was a combination of good scills, the gods and some luck that provided the trophees ? ??? Come on - give the man some credit !
Thor Viking
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:12 pm

i never said that. you're jumping to conclusions. what houllier did that season was fantastic and he deserves all the credit in the world. what i'm saying is that the treble season papered over a lot of the cracks that there were at liverpool football club. it's not about one season of success, it's consistency which gets you noticed these days.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Thor Viking » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:17 pm

stmichael wrote:i never said that. you're jumping to conclusions. what houllier did that season was fantastic and he deserves all the credit in the world. what i'm saying is that the treble season papered over a lot of the cracks that there were at liverpool football club. it's not about one season of success, it's consistency which gets you noticed these days.

Yeah, either consistency or one hundred million pounds ! Which do you prefer ? I mean, there are a few clubs around the world big enough to make money just one the good name and reputation !
If you start to fu** with the money and go on the carousel with wages and stuff you`re out of the game in no time ! And I hope I don`t see LFC on the merrygoround of moneyspending ! :(
Thor Viking
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:23 pm

people forget that it took ferguson 6 years to win anything at man u. people were calling for his head. however since winning that first trophy they've never been outside the top 3. thats consistency. with us it's one step forward two steps back.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Thor Viking » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:44 pm

stmichael wrote:people forget that it took ferguson 6 years to win anything at man u. people were calling for his head. however since winning that first trophy they've never been outside the top 3. thats consistency. with us it's one step forward two steps back.

What`s your solution then ? Use 100mill pounds or sack GH ? ???
Thor Viking
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:48 pm

the board won't sack houllier. if the guy has any dignity he will leave at the end of the season. he's had the time and the money and not produced the goods in the last eighteen months. i was a fan of the guy for his first three years but the last two have been unacceptable by our standards.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Thor Viking » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:52 pm

stmichael wrote:the board won't sack houllier. if the guy has any dignity he will leave at the end of the season. he's had the time and the money and not produced the goods in the last eighteen months. i was a fan of the guy for his first three years but the last two have been unacceptable by our standards.

So you rather use £ 100 mill then - on players or a top manager ? Look at Leeds - they know how not to do it ! Maybe someone can learn !?
Thor Viking
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:44 pm

summed up in two words - got lucky! Everyone knows how the FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup finals were won.

UEFA Cup - just about outscored a plucky Alaves side
FA Cup - two goals from M.Owen saved us
League Cup - lucky to reach penalties and win

Pretty lucky to get to the final in some cases as well
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thor Viking » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:08 pm

Owzat wrote:summed up in two words - got lucky! Everyone knows how the FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup finals were won.

Your point being..... ???
Thor Viking
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:37 pm

Owzat wrote:summed up in two words - got lucky! Everyone knows how the FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup finals were won.

Thats just ridiculus. How can you just put everything down to luck.

In that case someone could argue that the last 2 season's have been bad luck.

It's just a ridiculus argument.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:48 pm

I agree - IT would not be fair on GH to say it was all pure luck - Even if we were incredibly lucky (remember that penalty turned corner in the home leg with Roma?) People like to say 'you can make your own luck' - Well we certainly did that during the treble season - The mancs do it all the time - Lucky ba#ta#ds :(
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:11 pm

oh ffs, I was saying the "triple" was lucky, not necessarily that we didn't deserve to any of the three. You're deluded if you think we won any of those three trophies because we outplayed allcomers :O
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thor Viking » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:10 pm

What is luck ? Can it be defined ? In my book it says " in the right place at the right time ".
So how can one be in the right place throughout a match of 90 mins ? :p
I think most matches are won by a combination of scills, luck, patience, wisdom and experience. The challenge for a manager is to release all this in match after match - and not being to democratic about it ! :)
Thor Viking
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion