What did gh do right when you won triple? - Or was it the player who did right then

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:15 pm

we had luck because we should have lost some of the games. bad refereeing decisions went in our favour in all the major finals we won, fa cup especially. during the uefa cup final i nearly had a heart attack on about 5 occasions. not that i'm complaining. it was still a great achievement.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:25 pm

you expect some luck, to win three cups with large amounts of it is something else
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:32 pm

I think it wasmore than luck it was his skill as a manager that won three trophies. By skill I mean he had three outstanding players who all contributed to the overall season.

Jari Litmanen
Robbie Fowler
Gary McAlister

In these three Houllier found the little bit more talent required to lift Liverpool towards the top again.   Each along with Owen, Hypia, Babble, Henchoz and Riise contributed to the team spirit.  Gerrard learnt so much playing with McAlister and also had a good season.

Some of the 2002 squad were also reminants of Roy Evans team.  Houllier assessed  that squad accurately and made the necessary buys to enhance the team.  I think he was over confident by letting them all leave and not trying to replace them like with like. 

Difference then Thor is simply we had a better team, a better team spirit and a more objective less egotistical manager.   Houllier achieved a great deal at Anfield but he has taken the club and team as far as his own capabilities will allow.  The next step is the biggest for the club and we need to be right. 

I don't personally believe that O'Neill is the right Man.  For all those looking a track record show me Shanklys track record. Houllier himself had a decent pedigree his CV is actually far superior than O'Neills.  No your all looking in the wrong place.  Look for passion, belief, commitment, Honesty and a straight talker.  There are three people who straight away spring to my mind, One Kenny Dalglish had his go the other two
well who do you think fits the bill.  Sorry for the pun at the end not intended
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby Owzat » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:47 pm

I guess you have to be good enough for luck to make the difference, you can't expect to win things purely through luck, but Arsenal and Birmingham will feel hard done by that they ended up the runners-up
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:26 am

I think it wasmore than luck it was his skill as a manager that won three trophies. By skill I mean he had three outstanding players who all contributed to the overall season.

Jari Litmanen
Robbie Fowler
Gary McAlister

In these three Houllier found the little bit more talent required to lift Liverpool towards the top again.   Each along with Owen, Hypia, Babble, Henchoz and Riise contributed to the team spirit.  Gerrard learnt so much playing with McAlister and also had a good season.

Some of the 2002 squad were also reminants of Roy Evans team.  Houllier assessed  that squad accurately and made the necessary buys to enhance the team.  I think he was over confident by letting them all leave and not trying to replace them like with like. 

Difference then Thor is simply we had a better team, a better team spirit and a more objective less egotistical manager.   Houllier achieved a great deal at Anfield but he has taken the club and team as far as his own capabilities will allow.  The next step is the biggest for the club and we need to be right. 

I don't personally believe that O'Neill is the right Man.  For all those looking a track record show me Shanklys track record. Houllier himself had a decent pedigree his CV is actually far superior than O'Neills.  No your all looking in the wrong place.  Look for passion, belief, commitment, Honesty and a straight talker.  There are three people who straight away spring to my mind, One Kenny Dalglish had his go the other two
well who do you think fits the bill.  Sorry for the pun at the end not intended

Firstly.

You make your own "luck" in football. If you don't take your chances you deserve f##k all. Its not down to luck... if your good enough you always come through. The best teams don't finish second. They win. Its as simple as that. The thing about football is the best teams with the best players can be beaten due to form confidence etc etc. Arsenal had 6 or 7 clear cut chances and fluffed all but one. We had 3 and took two of them. Thats a skill in itself. Owen gave there team no chance to stop our goals... Henry kicked the ball at Henchoz.

As for Fowler, McAllister and Litmanen... you are having a laugh? These three were not the main players at all. I agree they had a massive impact, they were AMAZING SQUAD players, the main players in that season were Owen, Heskey, Hyypia and Gerrard without question. Everyone contributed but no-one more than these four.

The point on Houllier, no i don't think he's taken us as far as he can YET!!!... i'd like to see him for one more season he knows his teams weaknesses, hence the reason we are trying to sign the players to improve them. After next season if we aren't looking VERY likely then i'd agree its time for a change but to do it now is very spurs like.

On your last point... if Houllier leaves... the next Manager HAS to be Phil Thompson. There is no point throwing Houlliers great work and potentially excellent squad out of the window.. Thompson is the only one i feel that can continue and maybe take us to another level.

If Houllier doesn't lead us to greatness... he's certainly laid the foundations and thats something we should be greatful for. If we got a new manager from outside the club i feel all this would be lost.

Look at what shankley acheived in his 15 years... it was nothing to what paisley and fagan acheived. But who is the most well known and respected? Houllier will be the same one day i hope. As i said the foundations are clearly there.
115-1073096938

Postby big al » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:18 am

Yeah stu I have a laugh everytime you put a post on this forum I p#ss myself! :laugh: :laugh:
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby Owzat » Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:10 am

stu_the_red wrote:As i said the foundations are clearly there.

As you keep saying, but then you're reckoning Houllier will be a success  based on what? As far as I can see it's based on delusions, you're obviously seeing things through Kermit's eyes

Is your name Robin?
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:23 am

stu claims he is happy to see GH at the helm next season because he already has the new signings lined up to complete the team.GH made 2 signings two years ago to complete the team(Diouff & Diao) and then Houllier claimed in the summer of 2003 that he would make the signings that not only complete the team but put us on the edge of our seats.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby azriahmad » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:12 pm

When Liverpool won the treble, we were rock solid defensively in spite of having a dud goalkeeper called Westerveldt who lets in soft goals as a habbit. The Alaves game in the UEFA Cup final is a good example - he let in 2 soft goals. Luckly for Liverpool, we scored more than Alaves.
During that season, the defense was exceptionally good abd Liverpool keeps shutting out opponents by mostly winning with the odd goal 1-0 or 2-1 and defending heavily successfully. The attack was nothing to shout about, much like today, with mostly Owen's exploits together with his other strike partners Fowler and Heskey (yes, he did score in that season) being the difference for Liverpool. Macca also contributed with plenty of goals and assists.
Today, the defense is in shambles that even better keepers than butterfingers Westerveldt, Dudek and Kirkland always get exposed and concede goals. The midfield did not improve and the attack regressed with people like Heskey and Diouf can't score.
The playing style has generelly remained the same, defensive and rigid tactics. Liverpool qualified for 3 finals in the treble year on merit but was helped by good fortune in the finals itself to win.
I think that Houllier has to go or the overall fortunes of the team will remain stagnant.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby iscah » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:22 pm

No team coul win the treble without luck. Manure also won a treble and had luck ...

1)  Hasselbank scored at the death against Arsenal to give the advantage to Manure for the league title

2)  Liverpool gave up a 1 goal lead with 2 minutes to go and Arsenal missed a penalty in the seme of that years FA cup to let Manure recah the final

3)  Bayern Munich hit the woodword 3 times (or was it 4) and completely outclassed them in the Euro final before 2 late goals stole that final.

You need luck

Steve
Perth
iscah

Postby whylongball? » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:53 pm

No deny, the treble season Liv's defence was rock solid and when teams attacked so long w/o scoring they let themselves down with their concentration...G.H produced a classic counter att style for liv with long balls for Owen, and thats the only skill i saw in G.H. Too bad he cant build on that...And i guess he can only play defensive tactic. Just 1. No fluidity in passing, no movement. too much long balls and crossing..PLayers lousy or manager?  ??? 
And from what i can remember, when Litmanan, Fowler and McAllister were ard, the passing was much better!!
whylongball?

Postby Thor Viking » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:56 pm

iscah wrote:No team coul win the treble without luck. Manure also won a treble and had luck ...

1)  Hasselbank scored at the death against Arsenal to give the advantage to Manure for the league title

2)  Liverpool gave up a 1 goal lead with 2 minutes to go and Arsenal missed a penalty in the seme of that years FA cup to let Manure recah the final

3)  Bayern Munich hit the woodword 3 times (or was it 4) and completely outclassed them in the Euro final before 2 late goals stole that final.

You need luck

Steve
Perth

The last goal i that CL final had nothing to do with luck! Remember who scored ? And where is he from ? Now he`s back soon - watch out !   :cool:
Thor Viking
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:34 pm

I honestly think that its been so long since we won it that the new generation of Reds supporters have missed the point. - Forget about any "treble" "quadruple" or anything else that doesn't include the League Championship.
It is the one trophy that really counts.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion