What a load of f*cking b*llocks. - Player of the year...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby AussieKopite » Mon May 28, 2007 9:25 am

Penguins wrote:Never gets the accolade as goalscorers and offensive players.

Bellamy can be offensive...  :D
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Mon May 28, 2007 10:20 am

1) Carra - discovered form early enough to cement LFCs defensive record as one of the best in the league, nurtured Agger on-field (accepting that Hyppia was instrumental in helping him, off-field)

2) Crouch - Has been consistent over the entire season scoring goals, considering the opportunities he has had.

3) Finnan - Solid in the right back position, allowed Pennant to develop confidence

Pennant / Kuyt a close 4th.

Top sides rarely give this accolade to goalkeepers, since they are not called upon in every match to deliver top notch performances. In the bottom half of the table, you will find exceptions such as David James and Ben Foster.
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Mon May 28, 2007 10:25 am

Well I'm going to be very unpopular I think because I went for Gerrard as well. Carragher eighth is clearly a nonsense, but my feeling is that even a Gerrard at around 70% of his potential is enough to render him our best player, and although he hasn't been at his best this season he's been well over that level.

If the award was for the player who plays closest to his actual potential week in week out then Carragher would win it every season, both at Liverpool and probably in the whole league if we're honest. But it isn't, it's who was the best/most influencial/most important player over the course of the season and although I'll concede it's extremely boring, the truth of the matter is that while Gerrard remains a Liverpool player, for the forseeable future he will probably win it every year on merit. 

As for Simari's comment about Gerrards short passing and creative skills, he was correct to put it was "in his opinion" because it certainly isn't anything like in mine. Gerrard in my opinion is an absolutely fantastic player who although much respected and admired by the fans, doesn't really get the credit he deserves in my opinion. I know for instance that many will criticise my opinions here but I really think it's worth pointing out that he is without question, a genuinely World Class player who would absolutely walk into any other team in the Premiership, even the Man U fans would freely admit that. He is, alongside Grahame Souness the best midfield player I have seen play for Liverpool and though it gets tedious we shouldn't get tired of giving the bloke the awards and the acolades his talent deserves.

One day he won't play for us anymore, perhaps then we'll all talk about how good he was.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Mon May 28, 2007 11:12 am

bigmick wrote:He is, alongside Grahame Souness the best midfield player I have seen play for Liverpool and though it gets tedious we shouldn't get tired of giving the bloke the awards and the acolades his talent deserves.

One day he won't play for us anymore, perhaps then we'll all talk about how good he was.

Your point is well-taken BigMick. But these forums are a great place to share thoughts. Atleast, we get to express the qualities that we would judge players by in order to vote for them or someone else.

It would not bother me one bit if Gerrard didn't win accolades for the next 2 seasons.  In my opinion, with Stevie having played in so many positions, he has yet to translate that experience into something tangible on the field i.e., something to augment his strengths and make him truely the best midfielder in the game - but I have no doubt we will see the results in 2 years from now. He is reachng an age where the top players play smarter and use their experience to rise above the fresh blood. His all-round game in 2 years will have developed to such an extent that he will rightly become and remain the best midfielder in the world for a few years - most definitely co-inciding with a period of domestic dominance for us. Rafa is the right manager to help him realise his potential.

Our Stevie will be Achilles re-born, but without the cursed *Achilles Heel*   :buttrock
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby AussieKopite » Mon May 28, 2007 11:19 am

I think Rafa needs to stop moving Gerrard around the field so he can get settled... maybe then we'll see his genuine class.
You'll never walk alone.

AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Mon May 28, 2007 2:39 pm

peewee wrote:just shows how many glory hunters follow our club, gerrard has had a decent season but like you say it was below his normal standards, carra had a shakey start but then went back to his normal self.

on the subject of carra, at the end of the champions league final, a few minutes after the final whistle, the camera went to carragher, a close up of his face, his face was one of sheer devastation, it was such an enduring image that i will never forget, the guy was forlorn, heartbroken, shocked, lost, there are so many adjectives to describe his face at that moment.

he deserves every penny of his pay rise just for sheer commitment and effort, gotta love the guy

Agree 100%......

Carra's been by far our player of the season..... Hands down... no contest.....

As Lando said.... Stevie's been below his best this year albeit that still means he's been very good.... but better than Jamie this year?

No chance....

JAMIE CARRAGHER... LFC player of the year.... He was born to wear the red.... someone a lot of our players can learn from...

:bowdown
ConnO'var

Postby ste123lfc » Mon May 28, 2007 2:46 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:My God.

Are we besieged by brainless bints or what?

Steven Gerrard has once again been voted as Liverpool's player of the season on LFC .TV.

You have GOT to be kidding me? His worst season in recent memory, and he STILL manages to get the nod above Carragher? Who votes on these things? JC came 8th FFS! 8th! Behind such colossals as Bellamy, Sissoko, Kuyt and Pennant. Are the voters on hard drugs or something? Well - here's my message to the deluded c*nts:

Get to f*ck, you silly little skirt-wearing tarts. DO NOT VOTE WHEN YOU OBVIOUSLY DO NOT WATCH THE F*CKING GAMES!!! JUST BECAUSE YOU FANCY GERRARD, THAT DOES NOT MEAN HE WAS THE BEST PLAYER ON THE PITCH, IMBECILES!

Jamie Carragher has been our best player this season by a funking country mile, and I defy anyone to disagree.

W*nkers.  :no

very subtle lando, but I totally agree.
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Mon May 28, 2007 3:01 pm

I voted for the Captain. It was an easy decision and i really don't understand the growing culture of Gerrard bashing on the boards these days. Ok it wasn't the Roy of Rovers stuff of last year but then he has had to adapt his game somewhat to get the time he craves in the middle of the park. Carra has had a good season but even he had a pretty lousy first 10 games (along with the rest of the squad) and i would argue that Finnan just edges him into 2nd place on the list.

Lando - I think you let your personal dislike of Gerrard (ie. the book and his body language etc) get in the way of your assessment of his season?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Mon May 28, 2007 3:04 pm

Steven Gerrard has once again been voted as Liverpool's player of the season on LFC .TV.

You have GOT to be kidding me? His worst season in recent memory, and he STILL manages to get the nod above Carragher? Who votes on these things? JC came 8th FFS! 8th! Behind such colossals as Bellamy, Sissoko, Kuyt and Pennant. Are the voters on hard drugs or something? Well - here's my message to the deluded c*nts:

Get to f*ck, you silly little skirt-wearing tarts. DO NOT VOTE WHEN YOU OBVIOUSLY DO NOT WATCH THE F*CKING GAMES!!! JUST BECAUSE YOU FANCY GERRARD, THAT DOES NOT MEAN HE WAS THE BEST PLAYER ON THE PITCH, IMBECILES!

Jamie Carragher has been our best player this season by a funking country mile, and I defy anyone to disagree.

i agree gerrard shouldn't have got the award but i dont really care, its only a sh1tty award and i'm doubt its very important in the eyes of the players nor is it any consolation for loosing the cl final
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Mon May 28, 2007 4:17 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:
peewee wrote:just shows how many glory hunters follow our club, gerrard has had a decent season but like you say it was below his normal standards, carra had a shakey start but then went back to his normal self.

on the subject of carra, at the end of the champions league final, a few minutes after the final whistle, the camera went to carragher, a close up of his face, his face was one of sheer devastation, it was such an enduring image that i will never forget, the guy was forlorn, heartbroken, shocked, lost, there are so many adjectives to describe his face at that moment.

he deserves every penny of his pay rise just for sheer commitment and effort, gotta love the guy

Absolutely.

I have felt for a long time that Carragher embodies the entire ethos of our club:

Grit, skill, determination, passion, decency and above all else - heart.

The guy was MADE to play for Liverpool FC. :nod

:nod
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Mon May 28, 2007 4:41 pm

This Player of the year, Manager of the month, Starting eleven of the week, younster of the year award thingy is something very English.

And I always stop confused against that question, "player of the year?", and I try to mix keepers, and midfielders, and strikers, and wingers in one box and try to pick one.

It's tough.

At some point when you're too messed thinking about all that you pick a couple almost randomly. Carraguer could be one because Lando is spot on about him. He's the fúcking boss of the barracks, as we say here. The real jefe. He rules.

Gerrard could be another one. Because his "below his best" is "much better than most players of the world".

Reina could be another one. Because he has improved I think numbers only achieved by Clemence, and his clean-sheets are important and he has confirmed his place (a question was raised about him at some point of the season).

So, sorry, for me is too difficult this kind of "player of the year" question. Blame it to the culture gap.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kukilon » Mon May 28, 2007 5:25 pm

Reina and Carragher should both have won it.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby Emerald Red » Mon May 28, 2007 8:07 pm

LOL! Yeah!

I came across that on LFC the other day, and really didn't want to think to much of it, other than a great big f'ckin question mark looming over my head.

Agreed. The people who voted on that site must be either stoned, or have no boll0cks. One or the other.

Carragher, or Agger (and even Macherano for what he's put in) are the only contenders for that plaudit IMO. SG's been average at best this season.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Mon May 28, 2007 10:26 pm

I agree 100% in what you said carra has been our best player this season aswell as last season .but some of us skirt earers do no about football   :laugh: carra plays for the badge on his shirtyou cant say that about many of them
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Mon May 28, 2007 11:44 pm

Scottbot wrote:I voted for the Captain. It was an easy decision and i really don't understand the growing culture of Gerrard bashing on the boards these days. Ok it wasn't the Roy of Rovers stuff of last year but then he has had to adapt his game somewhat to get the time he craves in the middle of the park. Carra has had a good season but even he had a pretty lousy first 10 games (along with the rest of the squad) and i would argue that Finnan just edges him into 2nd place on the list.

Lando - I think you let your personal dislike of Gerrard (ie. the book and his body language etc) get in the way of your assessment of his season?

Just because he's the captain, it doesn't make him the best player...
You'll never walk alone.

AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion