im decent except when i speak
about arsenal, fulham or spurs.

right well thats me off down the local
with father i need to get a few beers
down me to celebrate frankies
double.
89-1159041913

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:52 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:A week ago, we where written out of the title race by Andy Gray "Liverpools title hopes ended on 17th September" following a defeat at Chelsea.

Many fans on here questioned Rafa's tactics, team selection and one even compared to Houlliers reign.

Fickle fans, now jump on the title charge bandwagon, we welcome you aboard........

Andy Gray can say what he likes, but he, being an ex player should know better than to write Liverpool FC off.

I've said it before, we have for the last few seasons had a slow start, but gradually picked up the pace and done very well come the end of the season.

There is absolutle nothing to worry about.  Yes Rafa may from time to time pick a team which we, the fans don't agree with, however thats the way it goes.

Every club has fickle fans but the real fans truly know that all will be alright.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:00 pm

I dont think we have performed that differently in any league game since Sheffield united, and i have always maintained that although two defeats early on was not the start we wanted, it also wasnt the end of the title race, Chelsea Man united and Arsenal have already lost while united and arsenal have also dropped points you would expect them to win,(united today, Arsenal- both home games and city away)
Whoever wins teh league this year they will not get close to what Chelsea have got in the last 2 years imo.
I will admit i was disappointed with some of Rafa's selections- i still cant support any decision to play Zenden centre midfield barring injuries. But the manager has a plan, thats to keep everyone fresh come the end of the season, so far into his reign at Anfield nobody can complain, i dont think we will be too far away from the title this season.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:43 pm

I definately make no apologies for pointing out that I think we got it wrong at the start of the season. I still think we got it wrong at the start of the season. This of course is despite the fact we have just won two games in a row at home.

Things are beginning to settle down and we are serenely climbing up the table after six games. If you look upwards it is not unreasonable to think that only two of the teams above us are realistic challengers to win things, so everything is Ok because we have won these two matches? Sorry but I don't think so. Even if we win the title this season, conceding a five point advantage to Chelsea in the first six matches was never a good idea. Failing to beat a Sheffield United team who surprise surprise are bottom of the table was never a good idea. Making as many changes as Rafa did in those early matches was never a good idea. Belatedly we are seeing sensible rotations, the same strikeforce, the same core to the midfield and the same core to the defence, it is just unfortunate that we had to go through the folly of mass rotations before we got there.

All that said, having moaned when we lost it's only fair and correct that I come on here now and take the flak. When you stick an opinion up about this Liverpool team you can be pretty sure that sooner or later they will win a couple of games and ram your words down your throat. Fair play to the lads, for a period of around twenty minutes in the second half they played the best they have all season. We got some of the luck we haven't had iin the other games with them missing some chances though, and IMHO we are probably 20 or 30% away from firing on all cylinders at the moment.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby coddy » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:57 pm

bigmick wrote:I definately make no apologies for pointing out that I think we got it wrong at the start of the season. I still think we got it wrong at the start of the season. This of course is despite the fact we have just won two games in a row at home.

Things are beginning to settle down and we are serenely climbing up the table after six games. If you look upwards it is not unreasonable to think that only two of the teams above us are realistic challengers to win things, so everything is Ok because we have won these two matches? Sorry but I don't think so. Even if we win the title this season, conceding a five point advantage to Chelsea in the first six matches was never a good idea. Failing to beat a Sheffield United team who surprise surprise are bottom of the table was never a good idea. Making as many changes as Rafa did in those early matches was never a good idea. Belatedly we are seeing sensible rotations, the same strikeforce, the same core to the midfield and the same core to the defence, it is just unfortunate that we had to go through the folly of mass rotations before we got there.

All that said, having moaned when we lost it's only fair and correct that I come on here now and take the flak. When you stick an opinion up about this Liverpool team you can be pretty sure that sooner or later they will win a couple of games and ram your words down your throat. Fair play to the lads, for a period of around twenty minutes in the second half they played the best they have all season. We got some of the luck we haven't had iin the other games with them missing some chances though, and IMHO we are probably 20 or 30% away from firing on all cylinders at the moment.

good post Mick (as usual) i agree totally with you. i dont believe we played that well today and had the rub of the green. but i reckon we are about 30% from top form.

Stevie G needs a goal, badly.
YNWA Drummerphil RIP

Immortalised by his own Legend. God Speed.

End Transmission.....
coddy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:04 pm

bigmick wrote:I definately make no apologies for pointing out that I think we got it wrong at the start of the season. I still think we got it wrong at the start of the season. This of course is despite the fact we have just won two games in a row at home.

The Sheffield United game is the one that bothered me, i thought it would be tricky and as we were first to play we had a chance to get 3 points on the board and show our eary intent.
The other games that we didnt pick up points, the Everton and Chelsea defeats we played ok, against Everton everything that could go wrong did, Carragher making a mistake, terrible refereeing decisions and some poor finishing, the Chelsea game we dominated and i am still mystified to a) how Drogba scored that goal b) how we didnt score with all that pressure.
We have picked up now but in truth it is games that we should be winning, i am made up today especially with the mancs dropping points in a game i had as a banker away win.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:07 pm

coddy wrote:Stevie G needs a goal, badly.

The one that I think needs a goal Coddy is Bellamy. Don't worry about Gerrard, he'll score lots anyhow (though my suspicion is he won't score anywhere near as many as last season simply because he won't need to get forward quite so much). Bellamy is showing the classic signs of a striker who has lost his confidence in front of goal, in that he is trying to steer the ball rather than acting with and trusting his instict.

His golden chance today was a classic example. In trying to open his body up, steering it away from the keeper and making double sure he missed it. He didn't need to do that. A crisp strike of any description on target and it would have been a goal. Ditto his shot accross the face of Robinson in the first half. Too deliberate, not enough pace and at a predictable hieght. He will eventually score one and then he will be off. His overall play is good (though he hits his areas too early) and he is clearly a good player. Just trust your instinct son and it will all fall into place.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 89-1159041913 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:23 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:, the Chelsea game we dominated and i am still mystified to a) how Drogba scored that goal b) how we didnt score with all that pressure.

in drogbas defence he is a talented player and
if you give him that much room he is capable
of scoring these type of goals
it was simply sublime finishing and i too was
surprised by your cutting edge up front
i thought kuyt was going to score against us
esp when he hit the post with that strike
but in the end the great teams of the league are
those who don't have to play wel but are able to
get the win and that is something chelsea are masters at
and something you, man utd and arsenal are still getting used to.

:)
89-1159041913

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:41 pm

Yield wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:, the Chelsea game we dominated and i am still mystified to a) how Drogba scored that goal b) how we didnt score with all that pressure.

in drogbas defence he is a talented player and
if you give him that much room he is capable
of scoring these type of goals
it was simply sublime finishing and i too was
surprised by your cutting edge up front
i thought kuyt was going to score against us
esp when he hit the post with that strike
but in the end the great teams of the league are
those who don't have to play wel but are able to
get the win and that is something chelsea are masters at
and something you, man utd and arsenal are still getting used to.

:)

Welcome to the forum mate, i have read your first few posts with interest and as you are obviously on here to talk football and not take the p!ss its good to talk football with you.
The Drogba thing, i am sorry but totally disagree, thats not because i dont rate him, he is a vital player for Chelsea and a real handful for anyone. BUT that shot if he attempted it again another 20 times, would go high and wide, it will be one of the goals of the season, and he deserves great credit for trying it, but he is not a player that will do that regulaly...ala Henry.
To be fair to you, the last statement about getting wins when you are not playing well, it is the sign of a great team and this current Chelsea team are that.
Rafa is fast assembling a squad that will run you close this year though and i look forward to facing you again at Anfield.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:48 pm

Yield wrote:i tell things as i see it and i was at the match
last weekend and i was pleased with what i saw
from you lot.
it will be a close run thing between the for
clubs this season but i expect us to win it
just as you lot expect 'pool to win it.

decent chelsea fan? from what most
say about us and our club
youd think we were worthless humans
and prawn sandwhich eaters.
im decent except when i speak
about arsenal, fulham or spurs.

right well thats me off down the local
with father i need to get a few beers
down me to celebrate frankies
double.

No offence mate but 300 million spent on a team that looks very poor indeed, I am not saying we are better, but If I was a Chelsea fan Id expect a lot more than what Im getting.
And if the truth be known its not going to get better, I am made up that Real Madrid is happening in England TBH.
But this is not a dig at you personally, we played poor the first half against Spurs the second half we look like the best team in the league at the moment, but alas thats not always the case.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:58 pm

Ciggy wrote:If I was a Chelsea fan

Imagin that  :laugh:
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 89-1159041913 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:01 am

ace,

maybe i was playing up drogba a bit there, i do
get carried away when im talking about my club
its a bad habit :D , drogbas goal was a good effort and youre
probably right about him scoring a goal like that in every twenty trys. yh hes not a player who can do that regulary
but hes a good player (overpriced) and he fits our system
well and thats the type of players you need.

i think liverpool with more time to gel as you have bought
in a lot of new faces will be able to become a team who can
play poor and stil come away with the points.
it takes time
to develop this method but once you get it it pays off.

thanks for the welcome.

ciggy,

weve spent a lot of money and i think weve been conned more often than not
but this happens in football sadly when you have a lot
of money. i can see wher youre coming from with
regards to a chelsea fan wanting more, i agree i would
like us to get the european trophy and i just hope
that ballack and sheva can be the main driving force
and take us to our first euro cup. oh i take no digs
i expect most fans to hold some negative views on
chelsea, its to be expected but perhaps things under
chelsea cant get better due to mourinho being
our manager

i'm sure if we got someone else in not that i want
anyone else we could play better football and win
more matches.

'pool played well today, esp in the second half, youre
attacking movement and alonso's passing
was a great pleasure to watch. im'm just glad
you sent spurs packing, i had to laugh when jenas missed
that sitter, what a fool.
89-1159041913

Postby Dundalk » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:38 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:Andy Gray "Liverpools title hopes ended on 17th September"

What a fucking muppet he is, Im finding it very hard to watch Sky games these days with this muppet going on the whole way through, hes as annoying as Chelsea fan claiming to be the best team ever, he needs to go and now

And dont get me started on Richard "The Gorilla" Keys!   :angry:
Last edited by Dundalk on Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:42 am

The pendulum of opinion will no doubt swing again after today's result but hey, thats football :D

We have beaten two relatively good sides inside 4 days AT HOME. We have yet to win an away game in the League so lets put the title talk on hold until then shall we :p

For the record whatever happens in terms of performances this season there is definitly a classier look to the Liverpool squad and I'm NOT talking about that appalling Yellow Away strip! :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion