West ham win means nothing

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby marcus.c » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:26 am

There was an upset at Anfield, when Liverpool won against West Ham.

Liverpool have been looking so pathetic of late that probably for the first time in decades, Liverpool went into an EPL match against West Ham as underdogs.

The bookmakers might have favoured the Reds. But based on form alone and casting aside reputation, West Ham certainly looked the likelier side to claim three points before the game.

The league table doesn't lie. The Hammers were in ninth spot before the game, four places above the supposedly-mighty Reds. They have scored 14 goals in 9 matches and we only managed 5 goals in 8 matches.

It was in this statistic that our biggest problem was highlighted. Before the victory against west ham, the only other league match which saw us net more than one goal was in the 2-2 draw against brimingham last month.

So we have notched our biggest league victory of t his season with a 2-0 scoreline. And we continued a proud statistic of not of not lossing to west ham for 42 years.

So What?

3 wins, 4 draws and 2 losses later, our goal-scoring problem is still sticking out like a sore thumb.

Xabi's opener saw him draw level with Cisse as the club's leading scorer.

Oh, by the way, both have scored an eye-poping total of 2 goals so far.

At least xabi is a midfielder, so he has an excuse.

Cisse doesn't have one.

Neither does tall man Crouch.

Morientes? Well, he has a case, doesn't he, having only recently returned from an injury?

"We have all got to play for the shirt," said Gerrard

He got more than he bargained for.

As if to show that he had more to play for than anybody elsa, Cisse wore a wrist band which had a Liverpool logo on it. And that was just about the only thing eye-catching about his performance. One dimensional and poor finishing were not traits that former Liverpool boss Houllier had in mind when he bought him in.

Cisse's co striker was Morientes, whose goal drought in the EPL continues. Still looking rusty, the Spaniard has yet to live up to his reputation as one of Euro's top strikers. But he came close and his movement around the pitch was encouraging.

As for Crouch which came late on, has yet to appreciate that his strength lies in aerial balls. And that he should stay in the penalty box more often than he does, and not constantly run back to midfield to set up attacks.

There was some decent build-up play, but as usual, either the final pass or finishing touch wasn't there.

Benitez's obstinacy in the transfer market may yet to prove to be the reason for Liverpool's downfall should things not take a turn for the better later on. With no one to put the ball into the net, what chance is there for us to stage a serious challange in the EPL campaign? Tommy smith mentioned after the Carling Cup humbling at Crystal Palace that the team did not have enought ability.

And he was right.

Nothing that he saw from the VIP box at Anfield against West Ham would have changed his opinion.
marcus.c

Postby A.B. » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:53 am

There was an upset at Anfield, when Liverpool won against West Ham.

Liverpool have been looking so pathetic of late that probably for the first time in decades, Liverpool went into an EPL match against West Ham as underdogs

I stopped reading right there. The fact of the matter is that we've started the season and whilst it hasn't been the best of starts there is no way in hell that we were the underdogs instead of West Ham. Form is temporary but class is pernament, that applies to West Ham and Wigan.

They knew for a fact that despite that we were a wounded animal, we could be deadly enough to strike and take them down. People expected us to win that game, us beating West Ham was not an upset it was what everyone expected from us. West Ham drawing or winning would had been an upset.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby xd3vilx » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:56 am

can't see wad the point of reflecting the past when it is not possible to go back there...
Look in the future, Not the past
xd3vilx
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:45 am

marcus.c wrote:There was an upset at Anfield, when Liverpool won against West Ham.

Liverpool have been looking so pathetic of late that probably for the first time in decades, Liverpool went into an EPL match against West Ham as underdogs.

The bookmakers might have favoured the Reds. But based on form alone and casting aside reputation, West Ham certainly looked the likelier side to claim three points before the game.

The league table doesn't lie. The Hammers were in ninth spot before the game, four places above the supposedly-mighty Reds. They have scored 14 goals in 9 matches and we only managed 5 goals in 8 matches.

It was in this statistic that our biggest problem was highlighted. Before the victory against west ham, the only other league match which saw us net more than one goal was in the 2-2 draw against brimingham last month.

So we have notched our biggest league victory of t his season with a 2-0 scoreline. And we continued a proud statistic of not of not lossing to west ham for 42 years.

So What?

3 wins, 4 draws and 2 losses later, our goal-scoring problem is still sticking out like a sore thumb.

Xabi's opener saw him draw level with Cisse as the club's leading scorer.

Oh, by the way, both have scored an eye-poping total of 2 goals so far.

At least xabi is a midfielder, so he has an excuse.

Cisse doesn't have one.

Neither does tall man Crouch.

Morientes? Well, he has a case, doesn't he, having only recently returned from an injury?

"We have all got to play for the shirt," said Gerrard

He got more than he bargained for.

As if to show that he had more to play for than anybody elsa, Cisse wore a wrist band which had a Liverpool logo on it. And that was just about the only thing eye-catching about his performance. One dimensional and poor finishing were not traits that former Liverpool boss Houllier had in mind when he bought him in.

Cisse's co striker was Morientes, whose goal drought in the EPL continues. Still looking rusty, the Spaniard has yet to live up to his reputation as one of Euro's top strikers. But he came close and his movement around the pitch was encouraging.

As for Crouch which came late on, has yet to appreciate that his strength lies in aerial balls. And that he should stay in the penalty box more often than he does, and not constantly run back to midfield to set up attacks.

There was some decent build-up play, but as usual, either the final pass or finishing touch wasn't there.

Benitez's obstinacy in the transfer market may yet to prove to be the reason for Liverpool's downfall should things not take a turn for the better later on. With no one to put the ball into the net, what chance is there for us to stage a serious challange in the EPL campaign? Tommy smith mentioned after the Carling Cup humbling at Crystal Palace that the team did not have enought ability.

And he was right.

Nothing that he saw from the VIP box at Anfield against West Ham would have changed his opinion.

The start of this had me cracking my knuckles, so keen was I to respond with a verbal bashing. However, the middle bit was quite pro-LFC, looking for positives and the like.

Why then did you decide to spoil it with the couple of paragraphs?

Being silly I think.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby primodua » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:54 am

so, what is exactly your point marcus? I think you better start switching to other team as every single thing about liverpool now ticks you off. It's either you get in with the program or bite off!!

eat liverpool, drink liverpool, sleep liverpool
primodua

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:42 am

what's the point in vomitting the food swallowed? never mind it was yummie!

i know it's a bad quote, but i mean the point :D
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:10 am

Thats a new one one here....winning 2-0 and Marcus still aint happy!! ???
No mention of the fact that we totally controlled the game and deprived them of any real goal scoring opportunities,which is as impotant as scoring goals!!
Everyone knows the problem has been that too much rotation has affected form!
2 good solid performances in a row,its onwards and upwards Marcus fella!!
66-1120597113

Postby Dundalk » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:19 am

Well said Barry, 5 goals in the last 2 games and none conceded. It could be worse look what is happening Manure, now thats funny       :D  :laugh:  :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:51 am

Is it just me or does the wording sound slightly suspicious of a cut and paste job form a paper or something. Its sounds like its has been written for an article
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:09 am

marcus.c wrote:" supposedly-mighty Reds"
" our biggest problem "
"we continued "
"for us"

I'd say you  contradict a lot but you'd deny it.
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BringBackTiti » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:12 am

I think the west ham game could be a turning point in our season
''I talk about the table. We need a leg, so I have bought a leg.'' Rafa Benitez
BringBackTiti
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Anfield rapper » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:15 am

It means 3 points you :censored: :censored: :angry:
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby stoney » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:19 am

Definitly a cut and paste job.
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:23 am

We finally put in a decent league performance ............and your point is
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:16 am

A.B. wrote:They knew for a fact that despite that we were a wounded animal, we could be deadly enough to strike and take them down.

:laugh:  :D  :laugh:

Yeah man, that's a big 10 - 4!

You sound less funny when you try to be English.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion