Were we wrong to sell murphy? - Rennaisance at charlton

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:22 pm

Good points made but all I was saying that goalscoring midfielders shouldn't be sneered at for only having that attribute. Eg. Lampard.

As much as I can't stand him, especially for advertising the Scum, he is rated for the right reasons because he is a match-winner. However, I think is valuation is unrealistic.

Murph was not prolific, but he was a match-winner and if we want to win matches, you need match-winners! :laugh:
Granted, we do have that in Cisse, Garcia(when in form), Gerrard etc., but Murph woul prove v.useful i feel
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:24 pm

i liked his match winner against scum  :nod
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:25 pm

I go back to the point I made earlier about Zenden.

Zenden had the same impact last season at Middlesbro as Murphy is having at Charlton now.

That's the point. Play them in their favoured position at a lesser club where the formation suits them and they both will shine.

I still think that Zenden was brought in to provide cover for Gerrard/Alonso but since Kewell has been out and Gonzalez hasn't got a work permit, we've been forced to play him wide and he's looked poor.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 2520years » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:25 pm

stmichael wrote:Everyone knows that Danny was one of the most creative players we had, could take a great free-kick, and could strike a ball, but he was far too immobile to play centrally with Gerrard and never looked great on the flank. It's obvious that Danny's best position is as an attacking midfielder, with at least two players behind him, but we rarely afforded him that luxury, and as a result he left Gerrard isolated at times.

He lost a lot of possession, true, but I always argued that that was only because he was our only creative "link" passer; he made passes in the most congested area of the pitch.

He looks far fitter than he ever was at Liverpool, and I wish him all the best, but for Danny to shine he needs the team reshaped and built around him, which is fine at Charlton, but he isn't quite good enough to be afforded that luxury at Liverpool, in my opinion.

Having said that I'd still take him back over Zenden anyday of the week. :D

I've got to agree with that.

I also think that if Posh Spice would have married him he'd have a better reputation and played more for England.  By that I mean that he isn't big and strong, fashionable, famous, but instead he's relatively small and quiet.  Beckham is very good at what he does (cross and pass) but whereas his profile has got him more than he deserves, Murphy's has got him less than he deserves.

I'm not sure I explained that very well!
:glare:  :laugh:
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:26 pm

Garymac wrote:Funny how this subjects come up now when Murphy is playing well and not last season when he did fu*k all for Charlton.
Murphy could score a goal but his all round contrabution wasnt the best, if he would have stayed last season and made the impact for us as he has for Charlton, i have no doubt there would have been a topic "where we wrong not to sell Murphy?" Heskey scored a goal at the start of the season lets get him back as well.

Think this is just another thread to try and rafa look like hes making mistakes....we bought Cisse,Alonso and Garcia for 30 mil last year and we need to sell players to get them, and Murphy was one of a few players we would get money for, thats why Igor and Welsh didnt go.

Your missing the point mate. This is not me ripping into Rafa. Out of all the great things he has done for us I appreciate him for that. I just feel he should haver gave Danny a chance.

Also, it's not about just scoring a goal. You obviously don't pay that much attention if you say his 'all round contribution is poor with the passes he can make and the invention he can display with his slide through passes and crosses.

I am pro rafa so dont say otherwise
Last edited by wrighty (not mark!) on Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:29 pm

2520years wrote:
stmichael wrote:Everyone knows that Danny was one of the most creative players we had, could take a great free-kick, and could strike a ball, but he was far too immobile to play centrally with Gerrard and never looked great on the flank. It's obvious that Danny's best position is as an attacking midfielder, with at least two players behind him, but we rarely afforded him that luxury, and as a result he left Gerrard isolated at times.

He lost a lot of possession, true, but I always argued that that was only because he was our only creative "link" passer; he made passes in the most congested area of the pitch.

He looks far fitter than he ever was at Liverpool, and I wish him all the best, but for Danny to shine he needs the team reshaped and built around him, which is fine at Charlton, but he isn't quite good enough to be afforded that luxury at Liverpool, in my opinion.

Having said that I'd still take him back over Zenden anyday of the week. :D

I've got to agree with that.

Beckham is very good at what he does (crossdress) but whereas his profile has got him more than he deserves, Murphy's has got him less than he deserves.

I'm not sure I explained that very well!
:glare:  :laugh:

no you have not  :laugh:
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:29 pm

Your right wrighty on one point , Murph is a  good player .But whether we wrong to sell him is another point.Sometimes when watching Liverpool now I feel Murphy could of unlocked this or that defence. Or Murphy wouldnt of given the ball away like Garcia just did.
He is a very technically gifted player and certainly has his qualities , but at the moment he is flavour of the month.Which is exactly why you posted this thread ,infact you may think we were wrong to sell Murphy ,some think we were wrong to sell Owen or even Henchoz,But the manager obviously found him surplus to requirements.
Until Murphy is given player or flavour of the month again we probably will just forget about him , but nevertheless wrighty im sure many people may agree with you .
66-1112520797

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:33 pm

wrighty (not mark!) wrote:Was watching the Charlton game last night (As there wasn't much else to do!) and i couldn't help noticing how instrumental Murph is for Charlton. You may cry
'Big fish in a small pond!' but it doesn't matter what team you play for if you can put in quality passes such as through balls and wicked corner kicks that he can either whip in or float in, you are good.

You may also say that Alonso is an excellent passer of the ball. That he is, but he is a completely different animal to Murph as he tends to sit back and spread the play. Murphy was playing in an advanced role last night forcing the tempo of the play and always looking for that killer pass that unfortunately, the people on the other end could not convert.
Imagine having both Alonso and Murph in the team?

-----------------------reina--------------------------------

Finnan          Carragher     Hyypia             Warnock

Alonso

Murphy                   Gerrard                    Kewell

Cisse                  Crouch

It is true that murphy was never a right winger as Houllier often used him as. But you could always rely on him to put in an excellent cross or slide in a great through ball. Too often, we rely on Gerrard to do this now. How easier would it be for the team if you could have gerrard on the end of Murph's passes rather than our captain having to do everything?

I believe we made a big mistake in getting rid of Danny Murphy. OK, you might not play him from the start all the time, but I feel the likes of Crouch, Morientes (crosses) and Cisse (through balls) would have benefited greatly from Murph's invention. Just imagine how many more goals we would have scored so far this season ? I bit more than at the moment I would imagine.

Danny Murphy was a player who never gave up and was able to chip in with a few goals too. Sounds like the mentality that Benitez likes.

Prime example of a good player playing outside a top team.

Wright-Phillips is a similar player, he looks out of his depth at Chelsea. Murphy is a crackin player and spot some wonderfull passes. He seems to have improved his fitness this year aswell and looks a bit sharper but all in all he's still the same player, still makes sloppy passes and isn't what you'd call top class.

I've always liked him, scores goals and offers excellent supply to the strikers, ask Darren Bent and Michael Owen what they think of his vision and weight of pass.

While Murphy isn't a class player, he'd make a quality squad player at any top 4 club.

At the end of the day Benitez only sold Murphy for one reason, he was one of the few players he could get any money at all for. He wasn't going to get much for Igor, Diao, Cheyrou etc. I'm positive he wouldn't have sold Murphy as soon as he did had he other options in the market, the was he didnt.
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby bigmick » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:49 pm

I remember last season when we did sell him that one or two on here who frankly should know better described him as being rubbish etc etc. He was never that. Stu is about spot on in his rating in my opinion. A really good footballer who wiouldn't nail down a first team spot, but would grace a squad in the top four (with the exception of Chelsea). He's certainly as good as the likes of Darren Fletcher and certainly better than Zenden.
Right time to sell him? Probably was to be fair. It's one of those perfect scenarios where the deal suits all three parties. We got good money for him, Charlton aquired their best player and Danny became the star player that he probably always wished he would be. I just hope he continues to do the business and enjoys himself. He owes us nothing at all.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:41 pm

Murphy was given the choice to stay. Rafa made it clear he wouldn't be in his first choice line up, so Danny boy left for regular footy.

Thats not Rafa's fault.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:54 pm

was it wrong to sell murphy? i don't think so, we got a better replacement, think guys.... ALONSO!  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:09 pm

metalhead wrote:was it wrong to sell murphy? i don't think so, we got a better replacement, think guys.... ALONSO!  :D

tbh though mate, Alonso was not exactly a direct replacement for Murph though was he? As I mentioned before, they are completely different players
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby onizukaeikichi » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:12 pm

i was surprised that he was sold =/ i thought he was in rafa's plans
onizukaeikichi

Postby metalhead » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:16 pm

wrighty (not mark!) wrote:
metalhead wrote:was it wrong to sell murphy? i don't think so, we got a better replacement, think guys.... ALONSO!  :D

tbh though mate, Alonso was not exactly a direct replacement for Murph though was he? As I mentioned before, they are completely different players

well they are a bit different, Alonso is more defencive type of player as murphy more attacking. but they have some similar qualities.

Murphy was sold to make way for alonso, Benitez needed cash to get his top transfer target
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:18 pm

If that is the case why he was sold then fair enough, however, it would be great to see them both in the same team in terms of passing ability.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion