We need our own abramovic! - Dont slate me just yet!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby inglis5 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:35 pm

bavlondon wrote:
inglis5 wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote:You probably will think that I’m saying this for effect, but I would rather try and end up winning nothing the way were doing it now, than win everything the way Chelsea are.

Its the Liverpool Way.

We never sold our soul to the stock exchange when that was in vouge, and we should never sell our soul to a sugar daddy now that is the fashionable thing.

Totally agree. There is no way that it would be a good thing for the club. We would lose what this club is all about. Rafa has already stated that it's not impossible to compete with Chelsea, it's just very difficult. You don't need the best players to have the best team.

Investment - yes.
Russian Oligarch - no thanks.

Im not saying he has to be russian. But some major investmant would be nice. I was using the Russian becasue of the influx of Russian barons who are entering our game.

I understand what you're saying but I think there is a big difference between investment from legitimate business men (like Robert Kraft or Steve Morgan) than from a people like Roman and the Thai PM who's money has come from questionable sources.

Liverpool are very different to Chelsea and who we let finance our club is important. You can say what you want about the Moores family but they have never done anything that wasn't in the best interests of the club.
inglis5

Postby tubby » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:38 pm

On the contrary I think David Moores has done well to keep the club as it is for so long but i just think after all the transfers that have collapsed and settling for the like of Crouch instead of Owwn for the sake of a few bob, that this club should be taken to the next level and Perhaps David Moores no longer has the funds to do so.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:42 pm

We are the 8th richest club in the world and are European Champions.

Division One and Grimsby here we come!
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:43 pm

bavlondon wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
bavlondon wrote:There was no tapping up scandals, no debate for goal line technology, no bosman transfers. Times are changing and when the likes of Gerrard and Carra are gone I do not want to see this club slip into the exile of obscurity that engulfed Blackburn and Notts Forrest.

Are you a self harmer ?

And by the way think ofme what what you will but Phil Thompson actually said this himself at the start of the season on sky. He was talking about the club slipping away from a great team like blackburn and forrest.

So its not your opinion, but someone elses?

The key thing to note in your quote on Tommo is the timing of it. The start of the season.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:44 pm

Mock me if you will JBG but after the Simao and Owen deals newrly everyone in this forum was :censored: of with the lack of spending by the club.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby inglis5 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:45 pm

bavlondon wrote:On the contrary I think David Moores has done well to keep the club as it is for so long but i just think after all the transfers that have collapsed and settling for the like of Crouch instead of Owwn for the sake of a few bob, that this club should be taken to the next level and Perhaps David Moores no longer has the funds to do so.

I agree, we can't currently compete with other clubs (even Newcastle) when it comes to transfers and investment is needed.

There is however a huge difference between investment and being taken over 'by another Abramovich'.

Everyone wanted Owen back but it wasn't the boards fault. We simply could not justify paying £16 million for a player we had sold for half that 12 months before.
inglis5

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:47 pm

Four posts in this thread Leon, three aren't worth reading. :D

P.S. 70% isn't one every four. :rasp
115-1073096938

Postby Bunnyman7 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:51 pm

I understand what are you trying to say bavlondon but there is a little thing that neither Roman nor Mourinho count. I'm talking about Nemesis.
I'm sure that is just a matter of time Roman and Mourinho pay for their arrogance and provocative spending of money!! Every thinking person on this planet knows how ''Mr" Abramovic suddenly became one of the richest men and for sure I wouldn't like to have such a person in Liverpool no matter how many money could spend on players! Liverpool won the fifth trophy (from 3-0) exactly because the mentality of the team never changed!
Bunnyman7

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:55 pm

bavlondon wrote:Mock me if you will JBG but after the Simao and Owen deals newrly everyone in this forum was :censored: of with the lack of spending by the club.

The deals, and I use that term loosely, you refer to had more to do with than just money. The thing that sets this club apart from all others is our dignity, honour and copassion. No matter what any other club claim, we truly are a club of the people.

Owen could not be signed for twice what we sold him for on principal of:

1) its not good business
2) he chose to move on, and he should have forced Madrids hand to get a move back, he owed us that.

Simao was not signed due to the tremendous pressure exerted on the club by the fans who despaired at the news of his imminent departure, so Benfica put the price up to save face wit hthe fans. If he went, they got more money so could justify the sale.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:56 pm

bavlondon wrote:Mock me if you will JBG but after the Simao and Owen deals newrly everyone in this forum was :censored: of with the lack of spending by the club.

Simao.........not the club's fault. He was sitting on a plane, Benfica pulled the plug.

Owen........club were 100% correct. Why pay twice what we sold him a year ago for a player thats, lets face it, injured or recovering match fitness following an injury roughly half of every season.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:58 pm

With people not being from the city its very easy for them to come across as gloryhunters and lose sight of what this club is actually about.

I think what people need to look at is the Arsenal team that went unbeaten a few years ago and the cost of that team to build. The five best players cost 20million, they lost no games in a season. Its not all about money if you sign the right players at the right price.

I don't care how much money anyone costs, money doesn't buy you good players. Money buys you expensive ones. Not all expensive players are great players.

There are players out there like Pennant, Dunn, Ashton, Bullard and Barton who could get into almost if not every side in the country yet managers don't gamble on these players down to fear of getting it wrong.

You say players like Crouch don't win you tournements, correct, neither do players like Gerrard. Team's win you tournements. Everton last year being a good example of a team, hardly any individual could get into our side, yet they finished above us in the league...

You don't need money to be successful.
115-1073096938

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:58 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Four posts in this thread Leon, three aren't worth reading. :D

P.S. 70% isn't one every four. :rasp

Two out of five now.

Plus Statto, every fourth must be readable as you cant have 0.5 of a post.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:59 pm

Im not saying that we need to be spending ridiculous amounts but enough to secure the future talantdytoung players. Ok so they wasted money on a lot of players liek Mutu and Veron but they did sign some talanted young Englsh players like Bridge, Joe Cole, and SWrigtht Phillips. I imagine Stewartr Downing will leave after this season to begin forcing himself into the England team. If theres one thing thats been keeping us up is the fact that Rafa is a brilliant tactician. All im saying is, put a few more £ behind him and then we can really watch Rafa work something special.
Last edited by tubby on Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:02 pm

bavlondon wrote:Im not saying that we need to be spending ridiculous amounts but enough to secure the future talantdytoung players. Ok so they wasted money on a lot of players liek Mutut and Veron but they did sign some talanted young Englsh players like Bridge, Joe Cole, and SWrigtht Phillips. I imagine Stewartr Downing will leave after this season to begin forcing himself into the England team. If theres one thing thats been keeping us up is the fact that Rafa is a brilliant tactician. All im saying is, put a few more £ behind him and then we can really watch Rafa work something special.

Downing's a very good prospect. He's got ability, but we've got Harry Kewell. Thats not a weak position of our side.

Also, Shaun Wright-Phillips was EXTREMELY overrated and EXTREMELY over priced and no matter how wealthy my club is, i'd be EXTREMELY pissed off with a signing like that.

EXTREMELY pissed off. :D
115-1073096938

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:05 pm

bavlondon wrote:Im not saying that we need to be spending ridiculous amounts but enough to secure the future talantdytoung players. Ok so they wasted money on a lot of players liek Mutut and Veron but they did sign some talanted young Englsh players like Bridge, Joe Cole, and SWrigtht Phillips. I imagine Stewartr Downing will leave after this season to begin forcing himself into the England team. If theres one thing thats been keeping us up is the fact that Rafa is a brilliant tactician. All im saying is, put a few more £ behind him and then we can really watch Rafa work something special.

Do you watch football on TV or just read London press?

Wayne Bridge has stagnated at Chelsea and gone on loan to Fulham in an attempt to revive his carear.

SWP has lost his place in the England squad and probably will not go the World Cup as a direct result of his move to Chelsea.

Joe Cole would shine in any team, pretty much a no brainer that one.

Take a look at the players Rafa has signed who are not in or around the first team. Palletta, Hobbs, Anderson, Carson, Roque, Barragan and Idrizay make the future look bright indeed in terms of young (and plenty or them english) talent.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion