We have signed alvaro arbeloa - Subject to a medical

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Rafa D » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:43 pm

From Eurosport

Liverpool have continued their flurry of activity ahead of Wednesday night's transfer deadline by setting up the signing of Deportivo La Coruna defender Alvaro Arbeloa.

With Rafa Benitez targeting three signings over the next couple of days, the centre back is travelling to Merseyside to undergo a medical.

Malaga's Francis Duran has agreed to his switch to Anfield and Javier Mascherano looks likely to obtain permission from FIFA to arrive from West Ham.

Benitez has looked to his homeland again to swoop for Arbeloa after thrashing out a deal with Depor.

"The club has got a very good investment," declared coach Joaquin Caparros in confirming the transfer.

Real Madrid are entitled to 50 percent of the profit on the money earned on the 24-year-old, who has made 14 appearances this term, after he started his career with the capital club.

Arbeloa is at home at centre half or right back.

---------------------------------------------------------

From Wikipedia

Álvaro Arbeloa Coca (born 17 January 1983) is a young centrel defender/right defender with Deportivo de La Coruña. Arbeloa is another young talent from the Real Madrid youth system.

On July 24, 2006 after the departure of Castilla striker Roberto Soldado, a second Castilla player left Real Madrid's training camp is Austria, Real Madrid Castilla's Captain, no. 17 Álvaro Arbeloa. The 23 year old left Real and said: "This is a strange situation for me, i have been playing for Real Madrid Castilla for 5 years, since i was 18 year's old, Real was nothing but good to me, but it's time for me to go. real has the best players in the world, although that is great for the club, unfortunately that's not so great for Cantera players, only a few of us can find there place in the first team, and even those how find there place in the first team like Álvaro Mejía and Paco Pavon are only 3ed or 4th pick and that is why i want to live the club, to a club where i can get some play time, in the Primera Liga of course. Deportivo de La Coruña is one of the best clubs in Spain, and with Joaquín Caparrós as head coach I will certainely get more experience, and get better, what is most important is that he will have confidence in me. I have enjoyed my time in real, and i thank evrybody who helped me. I'm leaving Madrid to play more, no other reason."
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:19 pm

he sounds like a hand cream!!!

sabre , full indepth scouting report please ,
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby redmikey » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:20 pm

he sounds like a hand cream!!!

sabre , full indepth scouting report please ,
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:22 pm

I don't know him well to be honest, he hasn't been in the liga long enough to pick my attention. But I have a friend that knows his football and he's Deportivo fan. I'll bring what he tells me.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby spion » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:25 pm

Josemi anybody? Cough..........
spion

Postby stmichael » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:28 pm

spion wrote:Josemi anybody? Cough..........

Oh please.

I think the Josemi factor has got a few people worried, but in fairness to the current manager (when compared to the previous one) if you aren't upto the job you get shipped out.

Could be great could be sh#te. A lot of people wanted Finnan sold after his first season and yet now the same people would want him to be one of the first players on the teamsheet.
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby spion » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:32 pm

1.15pm update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool move for Spanish pair

Deportivo's Alvaro Arbeloa and Malaga's Francis Duran travelling to Anfield this afternoon to finalise deals. Arbeloa only signed for Deportivo from Real Madrid in the summer.

Liverpool are set to bolster their defence with the signing of Deportivo La Coruña's Alvaro Arbeloa.
Rafael Benítez has been looking to add depth at the back this January and made Aberloa, who can play right-back or centre-back, his top target after Lucas Neill signed for West Ham. The 24-year-old only joined Deportivo from Real Madrid in the summer, but is expected to arrive on Merseyside today with reports in Spain suggesting the fee will be in the region of £2.6m.

"I'm as surprised as everyone," said Arbeloa. "It looks like a good move for me and Depor especially as they are going to get double what they paid for me." Coach Joaquin Caparros confirmed the transfer but did nott give any financial details. "Arbeloa is going to sign for Liverpool. The club has made a good investment and we are happy for Arbeloa because it is a reward for his professionalism and team spirit," he said.
The Reds are also set to acquire the services of promising Spanish midfielder Francis Duran from Segunda Division team Malaga. The 18-year-old was also due to travel to Liverpool and is expected to sign a professional contract with the Reds, according to the Spanish media.

Duran made his debut with Malaga's first team earlier this month but does not have a professional contract with the Andalucian outfit. "[Liverpool] is a unique opportunity and I couldn't let it go by," said Duran, who turned down a move to Real Zaragoza.
spion

Postby CardinalRed » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:36 pm

Dunno much about all the young signings that Rafa's made recently but when can we realistically expect to see any of them making first team appearances? any clues out there?

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:56 pm

ALVARO ARBELOA       

2006/07 Statistics

Games Started - 21
Shots - 2
Fouls Committed - 44  ???
Yellow Cards - 2
Red Cards - 0

In Deportivo's 20 league games this season they've conceeded 25 goals.

Source: ESPNsoccernet.com

I would guess that he's being brought in primarily as cover for Finnan and maybe as another long term prospect for the centre of defence.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crouchaldinho » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:02 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:Image
ALVARO ARBELOA       

2006/07 Statistics

Games Started - 21
Shots - 2
Fouls Committed - 44  ???
Yellow Cards - 2
Red Cards - 0

In Deportivo's 20 league games this season they've conceeded 25 goals.

Source: ESPNsoccernet.com

I would guess that he's being brought in primarily as cover for Finnan and maybe as another long term prospect for the centre of defence.

Youve gotta be kidding - thats bloody Colin Murray (he gets about a bit these days doesn't he?)  :D  :laugh:
crouchaldinho

Postby Sabre » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:03 pm

First reactions in La Coruña are of surprise, as they rate the player and he's young, some sort of the reaction you'd expect if Agger left the team now, but well, he's 24 so he's not that young

He's been playing as a right back due to the injuries of some team mates, but he's a CB. I think that it will be difficult for him to reach and get a spot in the team, but it doesn't look a bad idea for the future. I'm still waiting the full report of my friend.

The main reason for the sell must be the need of money of Deportivo. They signed up the player for 1,3M €, now they sell him for 4m€, they need the money so it's a good deal for them.

Rafa knows well the Castilla Cantera (Youth system) so I trust he knows what he's doing.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:27 pm

I think its a good deal for someone who is still young (24). Supposedly we'll pay £2.4m.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:56 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:Álvaro Arbeloa. The 23 year old left Real and said: "This is a strange situation for me, i have been playing for Real Madrid Castilla for 5 years, since i was 18 year's old, Real was nothing but good to me, but it's time for me to go. real has the best players in the world, although that is great for the club, unfortunately that's not so great for Cantera players, only a few of us can find there place in the first team, and even those how find there place in the first team like Álvaro Mejía and Paco Pavon are only 3ed or 4th pick

It appears that like the premiership , players coming through the youth system at some of La Liga's top clubs also have a massive battle to get into the senior squad . Hope the lad at least gets a chance to show us what he can do , Finnans not getting any younger .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:56 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:Álvaro Arbeloa. The 23 year old left Real and said: "This is a strange situation for me, i have been playing for Real Madrid Castilla for 5 years, since i was 18 year's old, Real was nothing but good to me, but it's time for me to go. real has the best players in the world, although that is great for the club, unfortunately that's not so great for Cantera players, only a few of us can find there place in the first team, and even those how find there place in the first team like Álvaro Mejía and Paco Pavon are only 3ed or 4th pick

It appears that like the premiership , players coming through the youth system at some of La Liga's top clubs also have a massive battle to get into the senior squad . Hope the lad at least gets a chance to show us what he can do , Finnans not getting any younger .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Effes » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:02 pm

Cara is 29 now so, not long after Sammi retires we need to cover for Carra
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion