We can't win, so lets change the rules - Scum call for european revamp

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby KARMANI » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:20 pm

Man Utd call for European revamp

United were dumped out of the competition by AC Milan
Manchester United want the format of the Champions League changed to help more big clubs reach the last eight.
United lost in the first knockout stage this season, as did Real Madrid, Barcelona and holders Porto.

United chief executive David Gill said: "At the moment we effectively have a random draw after the group stage.

"Maybe we should use a system where the holders are rated number one and they play the 16th ranked team, number two versus 15, and so on."

Gill is concerned that the competition will lose some of its pulling power if the 'glamour' clubs go out early.

He added: "It's not good for the big clubs, not good for TV and sponsors if there are no Spanish clubs in the quarter-finals.

"When the draw for the group stage is made, each club's co-efficient is used.

"Given it is unlikely we will ever go back to a situation of having two group stages, maybe we should use a system during the knock-out phase that also reflects the rankings.

You can't afford to have Real Madrid and Manchester United going out in the last 16

Arsene Wenger

"AC Milan were discussing this before we played them, so it is not a knee-jerk reaction."

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, whose side also exited the competition at the first knockout phase, is another calling for changes.

He said: "You can't afford to have Real Madrid and Manchester United - big clubs who invest so much money - going out in the last 16.

"You will have a revolt if it continues like that.

"Seeding teams is a possibility. I don't think the formula at the moment helps the best teams.

"Maybe Uefa will use their ranking lists to influence the draw in future."

But Gill is not expecting Europe's governing body to act quickly, if they choose to act at all.

He added: "I don't think there will be any changes for next season, but it is an argument being made and I am sure Uefa will look at it."

Typical scum and ******, for once they actually got a tough drw and what do they do, moan about it as if it was unfair. I'm so gald these c*nts got knocked out! :D
KARMANI

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:43 pm

KARMANI wrote:Man Utd call for European revamp

United were dumped out of the competition by AC Milan
Manchester United want the format of the Champions League changed to help more big clubs reach the last eight.
United lost in the first knockout stage this season, as did Real Madrid, Barcelona and holders Porto.

United chief executive David Gill said: "At the moment we effectively have a random draw after the group stage.

"Maybe we should use a system where the holders are rated number one and they play the 16th ranked team, number two versus 15, and so on."

Gill is concerned that the competition will lose some of its pulling power if the 'glamour' clubs go out early.

He added: "It's not good for the big clubs, not good for TV and sponsors if there are no Spanish clubs in the quarter-finals.

"When the draw for the group stage is made, each club's co-efficient is used.

"Given it is unlikely we will ever go back to a situation of having two group stages, maybe we should use a system during the knock-out phase that also reflects the rankings.

You can't afford to have Real Madrid and Manchester United going out in the last 16

Arsene Wenger

"AC Milan were discussing this before we played them, so it is not a knee-jerk reaction."

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, whose side also exited the competition at the first knockout phase, is another calling for changes.

He said: "You can't afford to have Real Madrid and Manchester United - big clubs who invest so much money - going out in the last 16.

"You will have a revolt if it continues like that.

"Seeding teams is a possibility. I don't think the formula at the moment helps the best teams.

"Maybe Uefa will use their ranking lists to influence the draw in future."

But Gill is not expecting Europe's governing body to act quickly, if they choose to act at all.

He added: "I don't think there will be any changes for next season, but it is an argument being made and I am sure Uefa will look at it."

Typical scum and ******, for once they actually got a tough drw and what do they do, moan about it as if it was unfair. I'm so gald these c*nts got knocked out! :D

typical whinging ba$tards.

united's record in europe under fergie, apart from the year they stole the trophy, is abysmal so even if it was seeded they'd be way down the list.

as for wenger, arsenal are just sh#te in europe full stop.

they're all just jealous :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:50 pm

you can`t afford to have big clubs like real madrid and manchester united, big clubs who invest so much money,  going out in the first round?
you mean real and united cant afford it, i love it.
the game is already loaded towards the big rich clubs, now when they start to get beat they want to load the dice again so they get further in the competition.
i`m proud our four wins were in the days when all the entrants were champions and were in a straight knock out system. i can see this competition being devalued in a few years.
soon entrance to this competition will depend on your financial turnover not where you finish in your respective league.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby the great one » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:51 pm

Personally i can't see how it would benefit Manchester United anyway, as this system would only help Europe's biggest clubs.As for Milan i never seen a quote from anyone form Ac milan suggesting to change it.
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 84-1106852058 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:51 pm

Why bother with competition,why not just rotate the Cup every year.Its the only way Arsenal will get their hands on it,and the only way
the Mancs will ever get to hold it four times.
  This is typical of Man.Utd they want everything their own way.Those no no marks in the shareholders association will probably threaten their sponsors now until they get a change of the rules.There trying to get the FA Cup semi moved now this from a club that couldnt be a.sed to enter it a few years ago.The sooner that Glazier gets his sticky paws in there the better.
84-1106852058

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:58 pm

The Red Baron wrote:Why bother with competition,why not just rotate the Cup every year.Its the only way Arsenal will get their hands on it,and the only way
the Mancs will ever get to hold it four times.
  This is typical of Man.Utd they want everything their own way.Those no no marks in the shareholders association will probably threaten their sponsors now until they get a change of the rules.There trying to get the FA Cup semi moved now this from a club that couldnt be a.sed to enter it a few years ago.The sooner that Glazier gets his sticky paws in there the better.

to be fair to united they wanted to stay in the fa cup.
it was the greedy ****** at the fa who couldnt give a ****** about over 100 years of history, especially when someone dangles a few quid in front of them.
i must admit the united fans make me laugh, they carry on like supporters totally opposed to corperate greed when greed is the very foundation what their club is built on. its just that their money men call it marketing.
if they are so outraged about social issue`s why dont they show support for the poor people in third world sweat shops making everything from man united shirts to tea bags for a pittance of a wage.  :angry:

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:56 pm

KARMANI wrote:Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, whose side also exited the competition at the first knockout phase, is another calling for changes.

What a load of tosh.

Can't afford to have teams like Manure and Real Madrid going out in the last 16? ???

Well if they'd won their last 16 ties, they'd be there simpe as. They weren't good enough.  :D

Just had a thought. Why not seed the teams who have won the CL 4 times or more and put them straight into the Quarter final, One to each game. That would be R Madrid, Ac Milan B Munich and us. Then the rest can qualify the any way they like to meet us. :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 84-1106852058 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:07 pm

If Liverpool were to win the CL would we keep the trophy.
84-1106852058

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:20 pm

Man Utd are just bitter because they realise that if they bothered to win their last game in the group stage, they wouldn't have played AC Milian in the second phase. They were typically arrogant and paid the price for it. Tough sh*t.

Arsenal have no right to say anything about the CL/European Cup. In that tournament, they have done f*ck all.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jack66 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:29 pm

I couldnt believe this story today,who the f@ck do they think they are.I dont think uefa will change anything,especially as its coming from manure.
jack66

Postby supersub » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:37 pm

incredible ......but in today's modern game,where money corrupts,don't be surprised if a seeding system,all the way to the final,becomes a reality.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:40 pm

they whinging ****** only have themselves to blame. If they took the Fenerbache away game seriously then they would have avoided Milan.

Bad luck manure, jut cos you think you are the best team in Europe doesn't make it true!

Champions League, your having a ****** laugh!

:laugh:
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:55 am

f*CKING *RSEHOLES SHOULD'VE TAKEN THE LAST GROUP GAME SERIOUSLY AND THEY WOULD'VE GOTTEN WERDER BREMEN. TYPICAL OF THE SULKING B*STARDS
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:54 am

Why dont they just have auction on the cup whoever bids the most money gets it. Thats what it basically coming down to
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:28 am

If Real and Man U are in the final 8, they wouldn't be having this conversation. This is just sour grape. With people like that in the club, no wonder their club are sinking fast because they simply don't have the brain to think right. THey are just bunch of spoiled bragging high paid executive not realizing what's happening in the real world and thought they are King. If they want to blame the format, its more appropriate to blame their player and coach. Maybe Real and Man U should start their on European "1st runner up" cup so they can play each other every year. So, the two "big club" can be in the final every year be happy. The so called "Big club" doesn't mean they are the best club, its as simple as that.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion