We are the mystery ones - Backing the blades fight?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:40 pm

BBC Sport: Liverpool give backing to Blades 

Liverpool have been revealed as the mystery club backing Sheffield United's fight against the Premier League, reports BBC Radio Sheffield.
A two-day hearing began on Monday to decide if the Blades should be reinstated to the top flight after West Ham breached player ownership rules.

They were fined £5.5m but avoided a points penalty over the signing of Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano.

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry was called as a witness.

An independent arbitration panel has been set up and is expected to deliver its verdict on Tuesday.

I think the Premier League accept they wish the arbitration was not happening

If the panel decides to overturn the original decision, Sheffield United will ask the Premier League to reinstate them for next season.

If the panel finds in favour of the Blades, the Premier League could relegate West Ham, keep both clubs in the top flight, offer a compensation package or refuse to overturn the decision.

Blades plc chairman Kevin McCabe is adamant the panel will rule in favour of his club over a saga that started back in March.

In that month, West Ham were found guilty of acting improperly and withholding vital documentation over the Argentine pair's ownership but they escaped a points deduction and Tevez was allowed to continue playing.

He and Mascherano, who is now at Liverpool, were part-owned by a third party but the Hammers then ended that agreement, which satisfied the Premier League.

Tevez was one of the major factors in the club's late escape - scoring a goal on the final day of the season at Manchester United to help the Hammers stay up.

The Blades finished on the same number of points as fourth-from-bottom Wigan but were relegated on goal difference.

"I think the Premier League accept they wish the arbitration was not happening," McCabe said last week.

"But in the knowledge it is happening and it cannot be prevented, then if the decision is overturned we should be reselected to the Premier League.

"Since we really looked into the whys and the wherefores of the Tevez affair it became apparent that a wrong decision was made."

Presentations by the Blades have also been made to the European Commission.

"We expressed our concerns of the whole affair," said club spokesman Andy Pack.

"It wasn't a question of trying to enlist support or lobby, rather a chance to inform them of where we are."

so, why exactly are we involved? I mean it will hardly boost our chances of good terms with the hammers and signing tevez, or doesnt it matter as he owned by someon else?
Last edited by dawson99 on Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:53 pm

Why are we involved? Probably because we want tevez and West Ham would have problems keeping him if they are docked points or relegated (though i seriously doubt this will happen). We can't have a 21 team league, fixtures have been released, money has been spent and every league would suffer problems if Sheff Utd go back up to the prem, so this is all a fuss that'll bring nothing. I don't agree with West Ham not being doced points, but what's done is done. To any blade who reads this: Sorry, but tough.

What I find slightly more annoying is that Parry should be focusing on us. He has always been very involved in our transfers and time spent in court on another club's behalf is time spent away from our efforts to bring in some new superstars, or even just some new squad players. We should be his top priority, not Sheffield United.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:00 pm

If he's been called as a witness, he has to attend.

He was said to be called by the arbitration panel and not Mccabe or West Ham, the assumption he's been called to defend Sheffu is incorrect I think.

Apparently the reason he's giving evidence is because we have extensive knowledge of the situation given we signed Mascherano from West Ham.
LFC2007

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:02 pm

understood but still find it amusing we are doing that and not concentrating on sorting our own patch.

Old Parry, funny dude, not right for us im thinking. And the media is gonna have a field day saying we are the supporters of the blades
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:04 pm

Parry arrives at court.

stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The Ace1983 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:06 pm

stmichael wrote:Parry arrives at court.

Couldn't have put it better myself!
:laugh:
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:19 pm

"I support Sheffield United rejoining the Premiership"

"So why are you helping us?"

"I may need a job with your club, come August when Foster Gillett arrives"

"Who?"

"ME!!!!! FOSTER GILLETT!!!!!!"

"EEEEEEEEEEEEE OOOOOP, IT'S MEEEE AGIN!!!!!!"

Image Image Image

(altogther) "FOOK OFF!!!!!!!"
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pedro Maradona » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:18 am

parry should shut his mouth and concentrate on his job at liverpool fc
Pedro Maradona

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:23 pm

To clarify this, Parry was actually called to give evidence as he was Chief Exec of the Premier League when the rules on transfers were first established - he was not representing LFC when he appeared at the tribunal.
ivor_the_injun

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion