We are going to win the league - Next season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby parchpea » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:39 pm

Any manager that can get Maxi to score 3 goals at Anfield must be able to manufacture the much easier task of winning this Premier League. I reckon we are a shoe in next year using that line of thought  :D
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:14 am

Liverpool plan massive squad shake-up

Sources at the club reveal that up to 22 deals are planned in the summer

Liverpool are planning a radical overhaul of their squad this summer with a source at the club revealing that they are planning “up to 22 deals” in and out of the club.

Director of Football Damien Comolli has been working since his appointment to identify priority targets and will receive support from the club’s owners, the Fenway Sports Group, this summer as the club seek to build a squad capable of getting back into the Champions League.

Kenny Dalglish, who is hoping to remain as manager, has spoken of the need to complement the club’s emerging talent with investment and it is understood that Comolli and his scouting team located two or three targets for each position they want to strengthen. Most of these are aged between 19 and 24 as the club wants to invest in players whose talent can be developed and whose value will increase.

Rennes winger Sylvain Marveaux is expected to be the first signing when the window opens on June 1. The club are being described as “a long way down the road” to securing the Bosman free transfer of the former France Under-21 international. Liverpool are looking at further reinforcements in the wide areas, another striker, a left-back and cover at centre back. If enough players can be sold, there could be as many as 11 signings.

As they showed in January, FSG are prepared to reinvest money received in fees into the squad – most of the cash received for Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel was put into signing Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez for £58 million. Having a high turnover will also allow the club to address the issue of the excessive contracts that were handed out under the previous regime.

With the club’s commercial department landing some impressive deals —a record £25 million-a-year kit deal with Warrior follows a lucrative contract with Standard Chartered as shorts sponsor — and the club freed of servicing the debts that impeded them under Hicks and Gillett, Liverpool will finally be able to compete in the market.

The recent emergence of academy players Jay Spearing, Jack Robinson and John Flanagan means Liverpool can sell their fringe players with the confidence that they will not be left short next season, especially as Raheem Sterling and Conor Coady are also expected to be ready next term.

There will be great emphasis on trying to shift as many of the superfluous players as possible. The club are working on trying to set up deals for the players out on loan — Paul Konchesky, Alberto Aquilani, Philipp Degen, Nabir El Zhar and Emiliano Insua — while there has also been interest in David Ngog, Sotirios Kyrgiakos and Milan Jovanovic, all of whom are for sale.

Telegraph e-paper
Last edited by woof woof ! on Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby lakes10 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:31 am

we need around 3 or 4 new player to have a team that can win the prem.
the key point is that the team we are putting out now are playing like a team........but in truth we know its not our full first team.......can our full first team play as a team. well only going on the last time or full first team had a game? i dont know, why? well i can not think of a game when we had our full first team fit at the same time.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:41 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Liverpool plan massive squad shake-up

Sources at the club reveal that up to 22 deals are planned in the summer

Liverpool are planning a radical overhaul of their squad this summer with a source at the club revealing that they are planning “up to 22 deals” in and out of the club.

Director of Football Damien Comolli has been working since his appointment to identify priority targets and will receive support from the club’s owners, the Fenway Sports Group, this summer as the club seek to build a squad capable of getting back into the Champions League.

Kenny Dalglish, who is hoping to remain as manager, has spoken of the need to complement the club’s emerging talent with investment and it is understood that Comolli and his scouting team located two or three targets for each position they want to strengthen. Most of these are aged between 19 and 24 as the club wants to invest in players whose talent can be developed and whose value will increase.

Rennes winger Sylvain Marveaux is expected to be the first signing when the window opens on June 1. The club are being described as “a long way down the road” to securing the Bosman free transfer of the former France Under-21 international. Liverpool are looking at further reinforcements in the wide areas, another striker, a left-back and cover at centre back. If enough players can be sold, there could be as many as 11 signings.

As they showed in January, FSG are prepared to reinvest money received in fees into the squad – most of the cash received for Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel was put into signing Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez for £58 million. Having a high turnover will also allow the club to address the issue of the excessive contracts that were handed out under the previous regime.

With the club’s commercial department landing some impressive deals —a record £25 million-a-year kit deal with Warrior follows a lucrative contract with Standard Chartered as shorts sponsor — and the club freed of servicing the debts that impeded them under Hicks and Gillett, Liverpool will finally be able to compete in the market.

The recent emergence of academy players Jay Spearing, Jack Robinson and John Flanagan means Liverpool can sell their fringe players with the confidence that they will not be left short next season, especially as Raheem Sterling and Conor Coady are also expected to be ready next term.

There will be great emphasis on trying to shift as many of the superfluous players as possible. The club are working on trying to set up deals for the players out on loan — Paul Konchesky, Alberto Aquilani, Philipp Degen, Nabir El Zhar and Emiliano Insua — while there has also been interest in David Ngog, Sotirios Kyrgiakos and Milan Jovanovic, all of whom are for sale.

Telegraph e-paper

If they want back in the top 4 then we do need a massive shakeup. All depends how serious FSG are about getting back to the top again. This summer should be interesting.

They will need to invest more than just what we get from player sales though.
Last edited by tubby on Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:46 pm

If the league's as bad as it has been this year I honestly think we can get the top 2. Wait and see what everyone does in the summer though.

City could have have a complete makeover

Man U haven't got loads of money but they're always going to be there or thereabouts.

Arsenal are going to have a very interesting summer indeed...

Dunno whether or not Chelsea can afford to splash the cash in the summer...He's got a World Cup to pay for afterall :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby kalos » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:10 pm

The biggest reason why I believe the league is winnable next year (and if not then certainly the year after) is two words - WINNING MENTALITY.

Look at the scum - they BElIEVE THEY are going to win and they do . thier footballing ability on paper and displays are hardly Premiership winning standard compared to their teams of the past . but where are they ? Almost at no.19.

LFC have LOST the winning mentality, the never say die attitude until now. It is BACK and with a vengeance (see Arsenal 90+12)

Yes we need quality players but does that of itself guarantee anything? (see  MCFC for answer)

More vital than the individual players are  team spirit and self-belief. I give you "WINNING MENTALITY" as the OVERWHLMING reason why we will win the league next year (or if not the year after at the latest)
kalos

Postby ethanr » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:43 am

kalos wrote:The biggest reason why I believe the league is winnable next year (and if not then certainly the year after) is two words - WINNING MENTALITY.

Look at the scum - they BElIEVE THEY are going to win and they do . thier footballing ability on paper and displays are hardly Premiership winning standard compared to their teams of the past . but where are they ? Almost at no.19.

LFC have LOST the winning mentality, the never say die attitude until now. It is BACK and with a vengeance (see Arsenal 90+12)

Yes we need quality players but does that of itself guarantee anything? (see  MCFC for answer)

More vital than the individual players are  team spirit and self-belief. I give you "WINNING MENTALITY" as the OVERWHLMING reason why we will win the league next year (or if not the year after at the latest)

I can agree with a lot of what you are saying there... It's the whole packaged deal that we need put in place together for it to work.

city have amazing footballers, but they aren't LFC type players.  The club doesn't have history.  It doesn't have loyal players who want to be there and fight for a spot because they know it's the best club in the world. 

Liverpool Football Club are a whole different thing.  It's like we belong in our own category of football club.

We have players who have been here from our youth program.  We have players who have stuck around for years without winning much at all, if anything.  They are here because they want to be.  We have been selling all those that didn't want to be here (and some that did- Alonso).  But our club has almost come down to just players that want to be here.  It's not the need to say "yes we are going to win it", but we want our players saying "LFC deserve to win it and I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that happens."  We need those players willing to sit on the bench, but ready to jump out of their seats at any chance they have.

City don't have those players. They have players that play for themselves, for their 200k weekly pay check, for the fame and the lifestyle.  Even manure have those players, enter Wayne Rooney.  That guy doesn't even watch football and he has admitted it on several occasions.  He doesn't care about the sport or about his club, he cares about himself.  Arsenal have these types of players too.  They have players that just b!tch and moan about every little thing.  Don't even get me started on chelski...

But we are Liverpool and we play for a different reason.  This summer there will be people that want to be here leaving the club, that's just the way it works sometimes.  But we will be bringing in players who want to play here and who want things to happen here.  We won't be paying them 200k a week, and we won't make them broken promises.  We will offer them an opportunity tho, an opportunity that no person in the world could deny that truly understands what  Liverpool Football Club represent.  Those that play for passion, for the love of the game, those are the players that will come play for us. 

Arsenal, city, manure, chelski, spurs.... they can have the rest.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby jacdaniel » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:42 am

Im excited like everyone else but I don't think we'll win the league next year... even if we sign a couple of quality players, it will take time for them to gel and become a team.

Kenny has got some fantastic results but it will be interesting to see who will eventually become our first team and how they get on.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Mon May 09, 2011 3:36 am

You don't go from scrapping the relegation zone in one season to winning the league in the next season, I don't care how many players you buy. Looks at Man City, they buy big all the time & are still struggling to make it in the top 4. The 3-4 signings that people keep mentioning is rubbish, it will take more like 7-8 quality signings to form a worthy first 11 to become worthy League & CL contenders.

There is also the assumption that the competition will stay the same or get worse, let's not forget Manure & Chelsea want to win it to & will be in the market looking at our targets, Arsenal being the exception, they are happy being runners up it seems.
killerp

Postby metalhead » Mon May 09, 2011 10:03 pm

in a very long time I'm feeling very confident of winning the league next season :nod
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon May 09, 2011 10:26 pm

it's scary to think that we've still got Gerrard and Carroll to return to our team....plus whoever we buy in the summer.

Bright times ahead
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion