We are going to play in the wcc - From lfc.tv - rafa confirms.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Red Red Tom » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:43 pm

Rafael Benitez today confirmed he wants Liverpool to rule the world in Japan in December. 
Benitez has revealed the Reds will take part in FIFA's showpiece World Club Championships as Europe's representatives following their stunning Champions League victory last season.

There were initial fears that fixture congestion could force the Reds to withdraw from the competition, but Benitez has insisted the chance to become World Champions is too irresistable to turn down.

The Reds first game will be in Yokohama on December 15 against either Sydney FC or Deportivo Saprissa from Costa Rica.

"We feel we must go to Japan," said Benitez today. "Looking at the Premiership fixtures, we will have to rearrange only one league game. Because we are European champions, I think it's good for us to be there.

"The problem has always been the number of games for us this season, not because we don't want to go. For the club and the players, it will be a great experience to play against teams from other continents.

"Obviously when you have a lot of fixtures, it's not easy, but we'll be positive about it. There was once a time when the European Cup wasn't as big as it is now.

"Maybe in years to come, this competition will have grown. It will be good for us if in years to come people see Liverpool has won the World Championship."

My personal view is that we should always have taken part in this competition.  Its a big money spinner, just two games and its yet another trophy, one that no other club has (this is a new improved competition and this one will be the first).  However now that we are definitly going, I think we have to put a strong team out and try to win it.  Otherwise what's the point?  Looking at Rafa's language I am confident he will treat the games seriously, but we would still have to be cautious.

Everyone assumes that the European Champions are going to stroll thorugh this competition, the world economy is such that Europe is where the money is for professional footballers, and all the best play in Europe.  But the style of the South American teams can catch you out.

We've lost these kind of games before, games we were expected to win.  W*nkchester United had a go when they borrowed our trophy, and despite having a vastly superior team they were played off the park.  No coincidence.  Its the style of football they play, the Brazilian teams in particular (if one of them emerges as champions of SA we'd have to be very wary).  They won't be undone by the same things that work against our normal opponents.  They will play football.  I know we beat Arsenal last season, but at Highbury they were incredible.  These teams probably have less skill than Everton, but play in a different style, and therefore are far more dangerous.

I'm confident Rafa can get us playing some nice stuff before long though, and as long as we prepare properly - we could soon be the reigning World and European Champions.

Tom
Red Red Tom

Postby dward » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:46 pm

damn! i was just gonna start this topic and then i saw it :angry:  :D

anyway, i think it's good that we're taking part in it, more money for us and another trophy to our cabinet which i don't think we have yet  :grinning:  :grinning:
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:12 pm

world champions....sounds gd :D  :D   :D
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:25 pm

i don,t like this idea,it a mickey mouse trophy just to line the pockets of fifa and that idiot sepp blatter,
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ian Rush's Right foot » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:34 pm

i don,t like this idea,it a mickey mouse trophy just to line the pockets of fifa and that idiot sepp blatter,

i disagree bud, it'll be fantastic for us commercially, and hopefully we'll win it and become world champs - which give us some good old braggin rights. :cool:

....I'm the bee's knee, his legs and his arms.....
Ian Rush's Right foot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stoney » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:39 pm

Iv'e already written a long post on this topic before so im gonna keep it short thie time and sum it up. Good trophy to play as it will increase the profile of LFC and improve the ecomony.
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:46 pm

Another trophy win can only do wonders for confidence,whatever it is.......i just hope we come through it with no injurys
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neilE » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:47 pm

I'm glad we're in too - we're not just playing as Liverpool, we're playing as CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE! Let the world see how proud we are, and how good we are
neilE

Postby PinkPantha » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:15 pm

We will definitely do good in the tournament
PinkPantha

Postby A.B. » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:18 pm

We're going to have a lot of games in hand in the Premiership.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby redsforever » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:58 pm

Liverpool will be world champs and english champs this season! :D  Its a long road to the end but we can do it with rafa
The rafalution begins.. Happy Days!!
redsforever

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:30 am

It'll be a good scouting trip if nothing else!!!! (I would certainly LOVE to be able to say that we're world champions, though!)

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:33 am

I hope that we draw Sydney FC in the semi's itd be great to see how the side which will undoubtably set the benchmark at home here in the new A-League will fare against the mighty LFC, even if its not the Roar who would be playing Liverpool  :down:
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion