WBA VS LIVERPOOL - All the build up here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby laza » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:52 am

Nice solid win and couldnt ask for anything more, well except maybe Fortress Bolton hanging out against the MANCs
Great to see Robbie on the scoresheet again and well done to Cisse
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Flashard » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:54 am

Watched this one on telly.
fantastic first half by the team Alonso was great yet again and partnered well with Momo. Good to see Robbie score again.
But for me JC was mam of the match i hope he enjoys the world cup as he totally deserves to go there and mix it up with the best.
Well done Cisse as well not bad either.
well done JC:D :D
Flashard

Postby redmikey » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:22 pm

well as a time served cissie basher, i have to take my hat off to him for his performance yesterday..............   

Pushing for a world cup place can be a big kick up the ar'se

hope he plays like that till the end of the season for two reasons.

1. we might get to see some of the talent we payed for, with him playing for the team and not himself. he has the ability to be the difference between a draw and a win when he wants to and that could put the pressure on the mancs in the run in.

2. He might get himself in to the french squad and have a good world cup, banging his value back up to what we payed for him, as we will sell him in the summer no doubt.

p.s the cissie i saw yesterday makes you hate the one we have seen at times this season even more, i hate being negitive about one of our players but he has lacked skill and had to much attitude for me to forgive after one good performance
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:50 pm

The quality of Cisse's touch for the second goal was absolutely spot on.

Much as I enjoyed it, I couldn't help but wonder why he can't do that more often.
ivor_the_injun

Postby stmichael » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:30 pm

redmikey wrote:well as a time served cissie basher, i have to take my hat off to him for his performance yesterday..............   

Pushing for a world cup place can be a big kick up the ar'se

hope he plays like that till the end of the season for two reasons.

1. we might get to see some of the talent we payed for, with him playing for the team and not himself. he has the ability to be the difference between a draw and a win when he wants to and that could put the pressure on the mancs in the run in.

2. He might get himself in to the french squad and have a good world cup, banging his value back up to what we payed for him, as we will sell him in the summer no doubt.

p.s the cissie i saw yesterday makes you hate the one we have seen at times this season even more, i hate being negitive about one of our players but he has lacked skill and had to much attitude for me to forgive after one good performance

I thought Djibril was very good yesterday and it was good to see. He was much better on the right than when he went central though. That backheel in the second half was absolute quality.

Having said that, you can't possibly say 'let's keep him' after two or three decent performances. In my opinion he's shown over the course of his career with us that he's not good enough - to change that opinion because of a couple of good performances would just be daft.

He may have scored the same amount of league goals as Crouchy, but if he played instead of him we wouldn't have won as many games. Crouch showed yesterday on numerous occasions, why we signed him. 90% of the balls that went up to him stuck and he layed it off to the midfield, giving us a good platform to start attacks from.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:58 pm

Am surprised at the lack of chat about this game on the forum. Have just entered the world of broadband in my own home and not just at work so it's cool to be able to come on here on a Sunday.

Watched the game on the box last night and thought it was a very professional performance. Nothing spectacular but did the job without ever really getting out of 3rd gear (or needing to!) and aside from the odd specail moment from Gera the result never looked in any danger.

I thought Cisse was excellent and i would argue that it was his best performance for the club to date. It woulod be great if the lad could maintain that sort of form untill the end of the season.

Robbie got his goal and is begining to look fitter and sharper with each week. At one stage i watched him chasing a ball over the top and i couldn't believe how quickly he was moving. If he bangs in a couple more goals and keeps outta the cookie jar i think he will deffo (i think Rafa has already decided to keep him!) be a Liverpool player next season.

Others to emerge with a lot of credit were Alonso who seems to have rediscivered his top form but what were West Brom thinking of giving him that much space to play with? Also i thought Carra was at his best in the 2nd half when they came at us with a little more urgency. Momo was excellent from a defensive stand point, he was absolutely everywhere and now it's like he's never been away.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Graeme Noble » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:03 pm

I thought Cisse played very well and still rate him very highly. He has stated several times that he doesn't want to leave LFC and I don't want him to leave either because he is a quality player.
Graeme Noble

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:48 pm

Scottbot wrote:Momo was excellent from a defensive stand point, he was absolutely everywhere and now it's like he's never been away.

Agreed.  Momo was immense in the middle of the park...he's really perfected the ability to barge in and clip the ball off an opponent's toes without hacking him down (which he seemed to do much more of at the start of the season).

The next step for him is to perfect the quick outlet pass after the steal in order to release our pacey players into space.  He did just that to find Cisse in the build-up to the first goal (although some dodgy defending helped) but there were at least a couple of other occasions where he mis-kicked and ballooned the ball instead of stroking it over the top for Kewell or Cisse to run on to.

Once he gets that skill down he's going to be a very scary prospect for the opposition!  :buttrock
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:52 pm

With regard to Gera...

Am I right in remembering that we've been linked with him in the past (last summer, maybe)?

What do people reckon?  Would he be worth a look for RM?

He's young, he's got league experience and, based on yesterday's performance, he's got skill.

Just curious...
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby The_Rock » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:27 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned (can't be bothered to go through the 7 pages), but fowler's goal moved him into 5th position in the LFC goalscorers chart.   :bowdown
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:30 am

I think Cisse looked real good in that position.  He was wide right but wasnt stuck to the touchline.  He was more like a 3rd striker who was making runs inside the defender which caused West Brom all kinds of problems.
puroresu

Postby Sabre » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:04 am

I only could watch the match yesterday night, I've been avoiding the forum and international web sites, in order not to know the score beforehand :laugh:

Well, I divide the game in 3 parts. In the first part of the game, we were absolutelly dominant. WBA's problem was that allowed our midfield playing with comfort, and they payed it dearly. I liked a lot that we seemed to do a possesion game, we knew to play with patience, and I would like to have seen that against Benfica. In this part, though, we should have killed the game, but were not too accurate up front. We might pay that other day. We must not forgive a team like we did, we must be ruthless, like in Brum.

The second part of the game was some reaction in WBA in the second half. That player Gera, that I don't know why he was in the bench when the match started, made some trouble, but Reina really did a good job.

The third part of the game from min 75 or so, and we lost some tension, Alonso tried a far away shot, and things like that.

Great performance, we're very solid. I've always said that Gerrard is our best man, but LFC showed that without him, we wouldn't be in eighht position or ninth, as we're a solid team.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:38 am

Bad Bob wrote:With regard to Gera...

Am I right in remembering that we've been linked with him in the past (last summer, maybe)?

He's young, he's got league experience and, based on yesterday's performance, he's got skill.

Just curious...

He looks a decent player, but has had problems with injuries.
Not sure whether he would be good enough for us, but he was lively.

Does anyone else think he looks a little bit like our skipper Stevie G ?

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:42 am

Ace Ventura wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:With regard to Gera...

Just curious...

He looks a decent player, but has had problems with injuries.
Not sure whether he would be good enough for us, but he was lively.

Does anyone else think he looks a little bit like our skipper Stevie G ?

I think he's quite a good player I've only seen him a couple of times mind you, and as you say he does look lively.

And yes Ace he does look a bit like Stevie G me thinks .
66-1112520797

Postby 48-1119859832 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:48 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:Much as I enjoyed it, I couldn't help but wonder why he can't do that more often.

Simply because he's not good enough, I may sound very harsh and it's nothing personal against Cisse but he's simply not good enough to be playing for us. He has yet to show me that he's worth keeping or that he's a good player.

And if a club like Tottenham don't want him, then you know you have a no-hoper in your team.
48-1119859832

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion