Wayne bridge - What u think?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ICE-MAN » Tue May 25, 2004 10:39 am

read this:

Real Madrid director of sport Jorge Valdano has reportedly claimed that Brazilian full back Roberto Carlos will complete a £20 million move to Chelsea in the coming days.
There has been intense speculation about the future of the former Internazionale star as talks with Real over a new contract have stalled in recent weeks.

With just one year left to run on his current deal, the 31-year-old is seeking a new four-year contract while Madrid are only prepared to offer him two years.

The impasse has opened the door to Chelsea, long-term admirers of the rampaging defender, who are believed to be ready to step in with a three-year deal that would almost double his current wages.

WHAT ABOUT WAYNE BRIDGE HES A QUALITY DEFENDER AND HAD A BRILLIANT SEASON, RECKON WE SHOULD PUT IN A SNEAKY BID FOR HIM? ???:cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby banana » Tue May 25, 2004 10:57 am

Good player. But we need a central defender, right winger and a creative midfielder first.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby ckay » Tue May 25, 2004 11:01 am

Wayne Bridge is a cracking player but I can't belive Chelski are willing to pay £20 million for a 31 year old. Real must be pi*sing themsleves. They'll probably pay £30 mill end of next season for Figo.

Abramovic just hasn't got a clue. He has to much money for his own good. He'll start bunging refs if he doesn't win the league next season.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stretfordendconquerer » Tue May 25, 2004 2:50 pm

Think we don't need him because we have Riise.
Carlos is old but still world-class, Chelsea make definitely a good signing.
stretfordendconquerer

Postby ckay » Tue May 25, 2004 3:01 pm

but who's backing Riise up. Competition for places is always a good thing.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue May 25, 2004 3:27 pm

I think Chelsea really need their heads read.

Wayne Bridge was absolutely fantastic last season and there is absolutely no reason to sign Roberto Carlos other than for vainity.

IMO Bridge is probably a better player now than Roberto Carlos, at least on form.

Take my word for it, in the next 12 months guys like Joe Cole, Wayne Bridge, Glenn Johnsen, Eidur Gudjohnsen and Scott Parker will become available on the transfer market as they lose out to superstars.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Tue May 25, 2004 3:28 pm

wayne bridge would be a cracking addition who woul improve the team. i rate him higher than ashley cole. take his goal against arsenal in the champions league. the last time riise got that far forward was two seasons ago.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ckay » Tue May 25, 2004 3:31 pm

Chelski are making the premiership a laughing stock with there stupid buy's. Why any team need 15,000 midfielders I'll never know. Abramovic needs his head looking at.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Tue May 25, 2004 5:36 pm

I remember Riise scoring twice against Ipswich on last day of 2002 season.  That was his first season and he seemed like a good buy.  However, now I don't think he has improved and don't think hes good enough for a team hoping to contest for the league.  I would like to see the new boss build a team around a nucleus of British and Irish players.  I think Wayne Bridge would be a great addition alongside Owen, Gerrard & Carragher.  I think Steve Finnan will come good next year.  All the uncertainty of last season would not have helped a new signing.  However, even though I admire Danny Murphy's loyalty and remember with affection his goals against United I don't think we'll win the premiership or compete with the big guns in the champions league with him in the first 11.

Seán
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Woollyback » Tue May 25, 2004 5:39 pm

Why Irish? ???
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 25, 2004 5:41 pm

Woollyback wrote:Why Irish? ???

because they're daft and would add some humour to the dressing room! :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 25, 2004 7:16 pm

ckay wrote:Wayne Bridge is a cracking player but I can't belive Chelski are willing to pay £20 million for a 31 year old. Real must be pi*sing themsleves. They'll probably pay £30 mill end of next season for Figo.

Abramovic just hasn't got a clue. He has to much money for his own good. He'll start bunging refs if he doesn't win the league next season.

Spot on.
It's now clear that Chelsea is just a very expensive toy for him.
God help them when he gets bored.
No wonder Mourinho is not commiting himself.
Could be good for us though  :)
Bridges , Cole , Hasselbank and Lampard all unhappy and maybe available  ???
:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Big Niall » Wed May 26, 2004 9:44 am

So the Irish are there for a laugh, yeah?

Tell that to Roy Keane, the best player in the premiership over the last decade, with all his league medals dangling around him. I don't like him but he is a born winner.

Because football isn't our number one sport (Gaelic games is), football is only part time, so the English league is where we've always gone and in a strange way is our home league. Irish players don't winge and ****** off to the continent for more money.

Ronnie Whelan? Jim Beglin? Heighway? actually now that I think about, even Staunton got a league medal, and Lawrenson, Aldo, Houghton, all became "adopted Irishmen" since we got rid of them, we won nothing important.

We need more Paddies, not less.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Wed May 26, 2004 10:07 am

I really cant see what nationality has to do with anything
If that was the case why havnt we any scottish or welsh players!!

I hope that ws all a joke otherwise its a kinda silly thing to say!!!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Wed May 26, 2004 10:57 am

I didn't mean it as a joke at all and I didn't mean to be offensive to anyone but if you look at history consider the following...
In the 70's & 80's Liverpool had a nucleus of English (Keegan, Thompson, Hughes etc.) internationals, Scottish (Dalglish, Souness, Hansen), Irish (Whelan, Heighway, Lawrenson) and Welsh (Toshack and Rush) internationals.  We also had english & scottish managers.
As much as the scots & english or Irish & english slag each other off we always managed to find a perfect balance on the football pitch with teams capable of winning european cups.

In the 90's United's success has been built around Scholes, Keane, Beckam, Giggs and the chuckle brothers.

With the exception of the 2004 team, Wenger has depended on the famous all-english back four in the 1998 double team, Seaman, Parlour & Wright.

All the teams mentioned above had great character that's needed in an english league.  They were complemented by the likes of Molby, Cantona and Overmars.

I don't mind having a few foreigners in the team but I don't think the Biscan's, Diao's, Diouf's etc. of this world should make up over half a Liverpool team.  The best of the foreigners will always be attracted by London so I think Liverpool need to go back to basics. 
You may argue that the game is changing but we have the best academy in Britain.  It must be put to use again.

Seán
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion