WATFORD VS LIVERPOOL - Where do we go from here?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby sophe_lfc_4_lyf » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:55 pm

Lets just hope we can win this one then ay? :D

YNWA.. Drummerphil_[*]
sophe_lfc_4_lyf
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CarlosRocks » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:57 pm

sophe_lfc_4_lyf wrote:Lets just hope we can win this one then ay? :D

of coarse we will...  :cool:
CarlosRocks

Postby jeffiroquai » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:03 pm

We need to put these three points in the bag to gather up some confidence in the lads prior to the Chelski match!

I say put Riise out on the left mid, with Bellers and Dirk up front.  The way we got butchered at the back, we need Carra and Agger starting together.  Lets lock in our best 11 and make a run at those russian b@st@rds for second place.
'Obviously Rafa is notorious for chopping and changing but he is chopping and changing with cream and caviar.'-Steve Coppell
jeffiroquai
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:04 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:
murphy0151 wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:
murphy0151 wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:
murphy0151 wrote:Thats what I think Benitez is going to select on saturday.  I hope im wrong about Crouch.

Why ?

I was never a supporter of the big fella but he doesn't deserve half of the implied criticism that comes his way . If we can get Kuyt or Bellamy to learn to stick within a knock down radius of Crouchie , his true worth would be revealed .

I think one thing you need in attack more than any other is Pace.  Bellamy has plenty of pace, thats the reason why id like him to play instead of CRouch.  But I think Benitez will play Crouch cause hes big.  I was going to say good in the air but hes not is he.  Hes a threat going forward and he can also help back on set peices.

Take your point on the "pace" issue but it's worth f'uck all if
1,the pacey striker receiving the ball is offside nine times out of ten, and
2,the opposition defend so deep that despite no longer being continually caught offside the pacey striker has no space to run into.

Crouch is not the best header of the ball (certainly when going for goal) he does however get his head first to the ball more often than not . The point I'm trying to make is that most of the time there's no one to pick up his knock downs . Give him a striker in close support with an alternative marauding midfielder steaming in and I'm convinced it'll prove successful .

Wooof where Liverpool FC not Wimbeldon mate.

Liverpool have alllways been known for the passing game.  I dont reallly like to see the long ball route looking to get onto flicks as the way to play for us.  Unless we need to resort to them tactics if the first tactics havent been working.

Murph, I'm not advocating a long ball game .We do however seem to lack the guile to play our way through the final third with the ball on the deck .Our build up when not ponderous and predictable is overcomplicated . When we do try the quick through ball we're usually found offside .

I don't profess to be a great tactician but it's obvious to me that when pushed up  Crouch wins the majority of the headers he goes for, unfortunately there's never a red shirt close enough to take full advantage .

I agree with your comment
Liverpool have alllways been known for the passing game.  I dont reallly like to see the long ball route looking to get onto flicks as the way to play for us.  Unless we need to resort to them tactics if the first tactics havent been working.

But don't you think against the better sides our tactics haven't been working ?

Spot on, Woof.  This, IMO, is why Bellamy never came on against Arsenal on Saturday: they had a lead, they sat deep and there was no space for him to exploit.  Moreover, our build-up play on the deck was nowhere to be found and we weren't unlocking their two banks of four at all.  In those circumstances Plan B became Plan A: lump it up to Crouch and play for the knock-down.  There were a fair few, too, but the problem was that Gerrard--our only really willing midfield runner--was sitting deeper than Alonso and was nowhere near Crouch for the second ball.  When no one's in a position to capitalize on Crouch's flicks and knock-downs, he can look a right t!t when, in reality, he's doing his job but isn't getting the support.

Personally, I hope Watford decided to keep a high line so that we can use Bellamy's pace.  We generally play much better in those circumstances.  If they do defend deep, though, we need Crouch to win the high balls and we need Kuyt, Gerrard and someone else--Pennant?--busting a.ss to get on the end of them.

AT LAST, SOMEONE WHO KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT

Was begining to think I was stuck in a 1970's time warp .    :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby sophe_lfc_4_lyf » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:26 pm

CarlosRocks wrote:
sophe_lfc_4_lyf wrote:Lets just hope we can win this one then ay? :D

of coarse we will...  :cool:

Everyone said that for yesterdays match though  :D

YNWA.. Drummerphil_[*]
sophe_lfc_4_lyf
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:58 am

Why are Watford called the Hornets when they actually have a moose on their badge?
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:10 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:Why are Watford called the Hornets when they actually have a moose on their badge?

no idea.....though they've got one playing at right-back as well...     

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:29 am

Not confident about this atall after the two cup defeats.
Hope they come out like wounded lions, but we are not a confident team as it is.
Hope we feckin batter them but I doubt it.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby murphy0151 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:31 am

woof woof ! wrote:
murphy0151 wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:
murphy0151 wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:
murphy0151 wrote:Thats what I think Benitez is going to select on saturday.  I hope im wrong about Crouch.

Why ?

I was never a supporter of the big fella but he doesn't deserve half of the implied criticism that comes his way . If we can get Kuyt or Bellamy to learn to stick within a knock down radius of Crouchie , his true worth would be revealed .

I think one thing you need in attack more than any other is Pace.  Bellamy has plenty of pace, thats the reason why id like him to play instead of CRouch.  But I think Benitez will play Crouch cause hes big.  I was going to say good in the air but hes not is he.  Hes a threat going forward and he can also help back on set peices.

2,the opposition defend so deep that despite no longer being continually caught offside the pacey striker has no space to run into.

Crouch is not the best header of the ball (certainly when going for goal) he does however get his head first to the ball more often than not . The point I'm trying to make is that most of the time there's no one to pick up his knock downs . Give him a striker in close support with an alternative marauding midfielder steaming in and I'm convinced it'll prove successful .

Murph, I'm not advocating a long ball game .We do however seem to lack the guile to play our way through the final third with the ball on the deck .Our build up when not ponderous and predictable is overcomplicated . When we do try the quick through ball we're usually found offside .

I don't profess to be a great tactician but it's obvious to me that when pushed up  Crouch wins the majority of the headers he goes for, unfortunately there's never a red shirt close enough to take full advantage .

I think the tactics ave been spot on but the goals havent come when weve had the chances.  Against most of the big teams we have had great chances, before we've gone behind.  I suppose you could say that the tactics are wrong cause we havent scored.  But for me, we havent been totally out played by anyone and with a little bit of good fortune in these games we could of easily of come away with more than what we got.  Chelsea game springs to mind, also the man utd game we started the better.  The everton game was the most bizzare game ive ever been to.  I have never seen a more one sided game were the team playing the better football has gone onto get beat 3-0.  Rafa's tactical knowledge is second to none.  Before he come to Liverpool we had been on a run of god knows how many games were if weve gone behind first we have never been able to pull it back and win.  Rafa was here only a couple of months and that soon changed. 

I know some people wont agree with me but so what, this is my oppinion. 

Also take a good long look at my signature underneath.  If he gets the time and the backing from the board Rafa will deliver. 

HOLD YOUR HEAD UP HIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby jkop » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:15 am

I hope we hammer them, but it will probably end up 1-0 to us, suppose a wins a win.
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:40 am

murphy0151 wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:
murphy0151 wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:
murphy0151 wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:

Why ?

I think the tactics ave been spot on but the goals havent come when weve had the chances.  Against most of the big teams we have had great chances, before we've gone behind.  I suppose you could say that the tactics are wrong cause we havent scored.  But for me, we havent been totally out played by anyone and with a little bit of good fortune in these games we could of easily of come away with more than what we got.  Chelsea game springs to mind, also the man utd game we started the better.  The everton game was the most bizzare game ive ever been to.  I have never seen a more one sided game were the team playing the better football has gone onto get beat 3-0.  Rafa's tactical knowledge is second to none.  Before he come to Liverpool we had been on a run of god knows how many games were if weve gone behind first we have never been able to pull it back and win.  Rafa was here only a couple of months and that soon changed. 

I know some people wont agree with me but so what, this is my oppinion. 

Also take a good long look at my signature underneath.  If he gets the time and the backing from the board Rafa will deliver. 

HOLD YOUR HEAD UP HIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would say at Chelsea we played well but when they went down to 10 men Rafa wasnt bold enough.

OT was awful.  We didnt start to bad but was generally very poor.

Arsenal away was pathetic.  For 30 mins we didnt really look like conceding but didnt threaten either.

The last 2 cup games v Arsenal we were soundly beaten.
puroresu

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:47 pm

I'd happily take a scrappy one nil win with one of their defenders shining the ball in from a dodgy corner. For all our dominance in recent games and not converting chances into goals, that kind of game will do me fine. Watford are no mugs and they'll make life difficult, if I was their manager I'd use Sam Alladyces tactics and tell them to rough us up, play deep and frustrate this Liverpool team. In the old days a backlash would be on the cards for the next team if Liverpool took a pounding in the prior one, but these days this team are different.
We need this win badly and with a bit of luck we'll get it and hopefully erase the bad loses to Arsenal in time for the humdinger against the Chavs.

Come on REDs !!!!!!!!
66-1112520797

Postby crouchaldinho » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:52 pm

I think that these last two games will have hurt the professional pride of most of our players, and i reckon Watford can expect a backlash from that. Remember after we got beat by crystal palace in the carling cup last season? That game (which we lost) was on the back of a pretty bad run, and seemed to be the 'hair that broke the camels back', so to speak, and we ended up on that record-breaking run of clean sheets, winning nearly all of them, which unfortunately ended at the world club championship final.

I do, however, think that Aidy Boothroyd will be wary of this fact, and Watford will defend pretty deep, so im going to get myself caught up in the argument earlier in this thread by saying we should be starting with crouchie on saturday.
crouchaldinho

Postby MASTER » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:59 pm

Bellamy has to play he will be like a wounded animal even though he didn't play on tuesday as he came to win stuff not get stuffed by arsenal reserves so just let him off the leash and play kuyt as well because he has a bit of pace and fantastic movement, just a shame about his shooting.
MASTER

Postby redhayesy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:07 pm

Bamaga man wrote:I'd happily take a scrappy one nil win with one of their defenders shining the ball in from a dodgy corner. For all our dominance in recent games and not converting chances into goals, that kind of game will do me fine. Watford are no mugs and they'll make life difficult, if I was their manager I'd use Sam Alladyces tactics and tell them to rough us up, play deep and frustrate this Liverpool team. In the old days a backlash would be on the cards for the next team if Liverpool took a pounding in the prior one, but these days this team are different.
We need this win badly and with a bit of luck we'll get it and hopefully erase the bad loses to Arsenal in time for the humdinger against the Chavs.

Come on REDs !!!!!!!!

totally agree with you ther mate! sensible post which speaks for it"s self the result tomorrow is all that matters. i will sing,shout do what ever to encourage the boys tomorrow, come on you mighty reds!  :buttrock
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion