Wat next - Were rubbish

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ynwa » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:55 am

curbishley gets the players going for a match he may not won anything but what did o'neil win at the foxes b4 he went to celtic
walk on walk on with hope in your heart
rafalution
18/5
god is back
ynwa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:06 am

Your missing the point my friend  you have to look at what m o neill HAS won with celtic!... plus his european experience..(something which curbishley has none of). ???
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ynwa » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:10 am

what did o'neil have at the foxes he had the players respect he had no won a cup with them (i dont know rember wining one with them) he did not have european experience
rafalution
18/5
god is back
ynwa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:16 am

Ok then i bet you if you asked most LFC fans who they would rather have as manager most if not all would pick o,neill befor curbishley?...i rest my case. :D
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ynwa » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:22 am

i know they would pick o'neil but some people in other areas want keegan so i only suggest curbishley i think he is better then keegan
rafalution
18/5
god is back
ynwa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:20 pm

I agree with you on that one :)
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:20 pm

O'Neill got Heskey playing well enough on a consistent basis to get noticed........ :D
RedSi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:10 pm

REDTILLDEAD wrote:Your missing the point my friend  you have to look at what m o neill HAS won with celtic!... plus his european experience..(something which curbishley has none of). ???

Unless Celtic become a major force in Europe (in the CL) then they can win 100 consecutive SPL games and it won't mean much. O'Neill did ok with Leicester, mid-table in the league and two mickey mouse league cups, but nothing that makes me certain he will be the man to win us the title
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:18 pm

Dalglish wrote:Yesterday was the first defeat of 2004 but by far our most inept performance of the season (

Spurs beat us in January, we narrowly beat Villa and drew plenty of times against mid table teams.

AS for O' Neill he has done excellently with every club he has managed. Some of the players he had at Leicester were rubbish and he brought them as far as humanly possible.

Listen to O' Neill speak. He is a passionate and highly intelligent man. Its not just his success on the field that impress me but also his personality.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Owzat » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:22 pm

O'Neill managed four top ten finishes - woohoo! He won two league cups against modest opposition, even Tranmere have made the final and look at this year's finalists - Boro and Bolton!!!

The only way to gauge Celtic's success is by their European exploits and they had one decent UEFA Cup run, but couldn't reproduce that "success" in the CL this season. The CV of a dead cert to guide Liverpool to their 19th League title - nope
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:04 pm

Is there a Dead cert out there anywhere? Are Ferguson or Wenger gonna drop everything and come to the rescue? I don't think so. Someone like Capello has won it all in Italy but it doesn't make him a dead cert by any means.

There is no dead cert. MON is as good as any other canditate out there. Give him the opportunity i say.

You have 2 choices 1- We scrape 4th place and GH keeps his job for another season 2- We finish 5th GH goes and we risk losing Mikey.  What would you take if offered the choice? I take the 2nd choice every time.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:24 pm

Mon is a good candidate but he lacks one thing, at no time has O'Neill ever showed himself to be step ahead of everyone else, he has never bought a player and developed him or pulled of a master stroke in the transfer market.  O'Neill has halve descent players around him at Celtic but players are'nt exactly queing up to play under him.  He's a nice guy but so is Houllier.  Be honest do any of you believe that the moment O,Neill walked in the doors at Anfield he'd get the respect of all the players. 

The fans are hungry they won't wait we need someone to walk in there in May and have a championship team by August.  There are men who could do that but what will the fans be prepared to pay for the league.

Some options

1 Sven would have the respect of almost every player a half dozen already see him as boss in international set up, Respect would be there from start he would have to keep up the standard.
2 Kenny Dalglish, Would he take it, Has done the job knows the system better than anyone is a premiership winner.  He would have the respect of many of the players he knows his onions so to speak.
3Gary McAlister, raw and inexperienced but has had a taste of management and did ok big bonus is that the players know and respect him for many he's one of their own. Coleman is doing alright at fulham maybe he would. Risky but possible
4 Strachan unknow quantity,  I think would take at least two years.  He would be the one manager to completely change personel ie players, coaches, scouts.  The players would respect him or learn to very quickly again a risk.  If you want a Shankly then this is the best candidate by far.
5 O'Neill great motivator has not really shown a lot of form, is favoured by the media and so hyped tothe hilt, other managers out there have achieved as much, Ie Big Sam, Curbishley, Rednapp, O'Leary and even Mark Hughes.
Other contenders local or ex players  McMan, Molby, Neill, Tossack, Keegan.  Graham, Reid, Bruce and McClareon
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby JohnBull » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:30 pm

Interesting Al but 1,2 &3 are no hopers. The O'Neil idea doesn't rest easy with me for some reason but Strachan (his health being OK) seems to fit with my hopes for the future. You don't know if it is just trying to regain the good old times with a Scottish manager but I've always felt that apart from scousers the Scots are most suited to our belief in the game. He certainly doesn't suffer fools and wouldn't tolerate the rubbish going on behind the scenes today !!
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:36 pm

Just to worry you - a quote from Strachan
"I know how people see me,but all my life I've been a victim of self doubt. There have been many times when I have felt despondent, when I think I'm useless. I felt it mant times as a player and I've often experienced it as a manager." Gordon Strachan 2001

Doesn't make you a bad person though !!
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion