Wake up rafa - Fine line between faith and reality .

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:04 pm

You have to earn the right to play your football in the Premiership.

Sorry I meant to say that before but forget.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:07 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:You have to earn the right to play your football in the Premiership.

Luke me and you are singing from the same sheet mate. He (Morientes) will never make a striker in the English Premiership while he's got a hole in his erse, and if people think it's daft to write him off then good luck to 'em.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:10 pm

Its true Mick, I had more than a hunch, for me it was genuine prediction and educated guess.

I don’t doubt the guys ability or mindset, just think he lacks a few qualities needed to be a good Premiership striker.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:34 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:My view is that Morientes is class, but contrary to what people say, in football class will not replicate itself regardless of the league. I.E. Veron

I think the way Morientes glides along the pitch is beautiful, his movement is fantastic, his work rate is unquestionable, his ability with both feet is exceptional, his passing, vision and technique is wonderful and when the ball is crossed in he attacks it with great conviction. But sadly Morientes is a player who can only play beautiful football in a proper footballing side in a not so tough league. I said from the start that Morientes is a very good player, but he will never be able to replicate this in the English Premier League.

I have no doubt that if he were to go back to Spain, to a side whose footballing philosophy is movement and ball into feet, he would be successful once again. But he will never come good for Liverpool or in the Premiership.

Nail on head excellent post.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:55 pm

Ciggy wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote:My view is that Morientes is class, but contrary to what people say, in football class will not replicate itself regardless of the league. I.E. Veron

I think the way Morientes glides along the pitch is beautiful, his movement is fantastic, his work rate is unquestionable, his ability with both feet is exceptional, his passing, vision and technique is wonderful and when the ball is crossed in he attacks it with great conviction. But sadly Morientes is a player who can only play beautiful football in a proper footballing side in a not so tough league. I said from the start that Morientes is a very good player, but he will never be able to replicate this in the English Premier League.

I have no doubt that if he were to go back to Spain, to a side whose footballing philosophy is movement and ball into feet, he would be successful once again. But he will never come good for Liverpool or in the Premiership.

Nail on head excellent post.

I think your examination of Nando's current position in English football is absolutley correct, but i disagree that he cannot adapt to our game.

Many foreign players have come to this country and had very slow starts, only to catch up when they have been around for two to three seasons.

Nando is still IMO a class act and he will have a future in English football, as you say he is skillfull and wonderfull to watch and his workrate is excellent - he clearly wants to win and prove himself here and has made more of a show of passion for the club than Cisse has just by doing this.

He has never been and never will be a prolific box player or a natural goalscorer in the mould of Robbie Fowler or Ian Rush but he has valuable assets that they do not(did not) have which are no less valuable to the team.

Harry Kewell was poor for his first two seasons here, and is now only rebuilding the confidence shattered by his injuries and critisism received in the press. Nando IMO has made a better start and deserves a bit more respect than he is currently getting - if he manages to hit the back of the net a few times i am sure the goals will start to flow more regulary.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kishan » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:59 pm

When we first bought Mori I was very excited.  I've always liked him as a player
and the thought it was a real coup that he was going to be playing for LFC.

Then I read an article on the Sky Sports website by Guillem Balague saying that
he didn't think Mori was going to be a hit in the EPL, that his game wasn't suited
to it and that he'd be something of a flop.

At the time I thought he was talking a load of old tosh, that great players can
always adapt no matter where in the world they play and that he'd bang in the
goals to prove Guillem wrong.

Now I'm not so sure :(
Kishan

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:06 pm

bigmick wrote:Morientes will never, ever succeed in English football.

Mick , I'm not sure if I would go that far . I would however say that he won't succeed at LFC,not at least in tandem with our other strikers . Nando has everything that you could ask for from a top class striker except PACE and with particular reference to the English game FIGHT . Every time I see him he looks a though he's playing in a friendly .Sure he puts in the work rate ,gets about the pitch but he never really gets stuck in .
Sometimes things just don't happen for a player . Nando's been here for a year now ,has played 48+ games so there can be no more of the old "he's gotta get used to the prem" excuse ,frankly he's gotta start showing far more strongly for Liverpool  or move on.. He may well succeed at another club in the prem (Bolton  :D ) but I think a move back to Spain is what he actually wants and such a move may resurrect his fading reputation . Certainly Forlans move from the Prem to La Liga restored his standing in the football world.

BTW while I'm at it ,for the benefit of Sabre, I did mention very early in this thread that I would have liked to have seen Pongo or Mellor given more of a chance . Just to set the record straight , NOT FOR ONE MINUTE was I suggesting that they were technically better footballers than Morientes I was merely pointing out that they could hardly have performed much more ineffectually than Nando .Indeed their very apparent HUNGER may well have been the  ingredient we need . You may find that hard to accept but then again like Nando ,you're Spanish .

:D   :D   :D
Last edited by woof woof ! on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RichardLFC1 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:08 pm

Ive heared a few rumours circling us with brazilian ronaldo. Dont you think he will be a flop like morientes?

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:37 pm

RichardLFC1 wrote:Ive heared a few rumours circling us with brazilian ronaldo. Dont you think he will be a flop like morientes?

See the 'Ronaldo' thread Rich  :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:57 pm

For those of you who plan to enter a dialectic fight with woof woof, bear in mind, that he's a tough boxer. He'll give you directs with the right, brutal uppercuts, and when the bell of round sounds

You may find that hard to accept but then again like Nando ,you're Spanish .

A low blow in the stomach. :D Fair play! I've never used the country factor to defend or attack a player, in fact, I never dedended Josemi nor Nuñez, and LG got his criticism from me in his slating thread,

As I said lads, never agree a fight with woof woof, he knows his tricks :laugh:
Last edited by Sabre on Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Feeney » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:30 am

Sabre wrote:For those of you who plan to enter a dialectic fight with woof woof, bear in mind, that he's a tough boxer. He'll give you directs with the right, brutal uppercuts, and when the bell of round sounds

You may find that hard to accept but then again like Nando ,you're Spanish .

A low blow in the stomach. :D Fair play! I've never used the country factor to defend or attack a player, in fact, I never dedended Josemi nor Nuñez, and LG got his criticism from me in his slating thread,

As I said lads, never agree a fight with woof woof, he knows his tricks :laugh:

I'll have to back you up there Sabre mate, you've been nothing but impartial in all your posts.

As for Morro.....

I'm in 2 minds.

On one hand, he has (of late) been working hard, making sacrifices and doing well. Really working hard for the team.

On the other.....

He ain't got 'it' to make it. He struggles in games where he shouldn't and his shots compared to those on target are awful.

One striker I can compare the situation to, but on the other end of the spectrum, is Drogba. Technically sh!t, no class and yet scores whenever he plays in the Prem due to harassing players and being stronger in the one on one. Who's better, Morientes or Drogba?

As i'm sure, most of you will come to, the answer is Morientes. Proven. But, the Prem seems to bring out the worst in players.

Someone mentioned the Veron situation and this is a carbon copy, along with Forlan, Tommasson, Milosovic et all. They all can do it within the modern game- just not in our game as ours is too physical, too fair (as in letting the advantage go)and too willing to let so called 'prima donas' rot.

I've been one of Morientes' most vocal supporters of late. His performance against Arsenal was particularly good, winning headers, making a nuisance etc. However, his inconsistency in games has started to bother me to the point where I am feeling, that as much as I believe he is a class player, I don't think he will make it for us.  :(

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:38 am

This season must surely be the last chance saloon for Morrientes. If he does not deliver the goods by the end of the season, he'll be gone.

As the manager, Rafa should be allowed to stand by his beliefs and convistions so long as he is taking us forward, which he has done. Rafa is stubborn but he is also ruthless, that is why he has been successful. Just look at Bob Paisley, very quiet and unassuming yet very ruthless in bringing in new talents and blooding them to replace his established stars when he believes they are in decline. That's the main secret to his success. Rafa has done that to Pellegrino, Nunez and Josemi.

As for Morrientes, clearly he is suffering from the same problems which plauged Juan Veron - he simply cant hack in in the hurly burly of the EPL and it has clearly and adversely affected his confidence. I expect him and Cisse to be gone in the summer.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:16 am

woof woof ! wrote:Just been reviewing our game against Benfica .Surely they are the Charlton of the champions league . How we failed to roll over a side that spent 70% of the match playing like the away team beggars belief .

How much longer before Rafa realises that a strike force with limited appetite and zero pace are gonna win f'uck all .How Rafa continues to persevere with Morientes is quite frankly beyond me . It's a bit like buying a secondhand Rolls Royce ,great pedigree but no matter what you do you just can't get it to perform like it used to. Garcia is imo fast becoming a luxury we can't really afford . Yes he's a flair player , yes he scores some brilliant goals and yes I love the bones of the fella BUT when the chips are down and I'm just looking for a result why would I pick a player who apparently only turns it on one game in four ? Quite frankly I'd rather see Pongo and Mellor instead of the above mentioned ,but in his wisdom Rafa has elected to farm them out on loan .
There is no doubting that Rafa has turned the clubs fortunes around , our defence is nothing less than heroic , our midfield can live with the very best but by comparison our strike force is a shambles . Is this Rafa's achilles heel ? ie . He's a brilliant general when sitting on his a'rse waiting for the opposition to  make a mistake but when the enemy surrenders the field he's somehow unable to  take advantage ? . Time to wave goodbye to Morientes Rafa , time to admit that Garcia is no more than a sometimes incredible sub . Time to stop firing blanks and give LFC upfront some real ammunition .

i wish i had something to go against with, but things just can't help but true. i previously wrote two threads with alike point of view: "we have seen enough of moro" and "we don't actually have any striker" which share the same concern with this topic.

but i have to differ here regarding garcia , he's probably as powerless as many say, but he got something on his stats -which draws a thick line between him and morientes, that is he scored more goals (especially last season) than any other strikers and some out of them are crucial as well as superb ones -despite his well-known inconsistency. so, hypotheticallty, he can't all of a sudden be bad.

some say that this would also apply to moro, (that he can't be suddenly bad too), but the thing is he's been here for more than a year yet having almost nothing to offer. some associate "form is temporary class is permanent" to him, but this can't be true since he won't permanently be at the age of 30.
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:38 am

Sabre wrote:As I said lads, never agree a fight with woof woof, he knows his tricks :laugh:

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:09 am

My patients have run out now with Morientes, Ive seen enough, I am just wondering where we are going to get 2 goals from against Benifica?
Ecspecially if Morientes plays for 90 minutes (AGAIN)  :no
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion