Wake up rafa - Fine line between faith and reality .

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redrider » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:25 pm

The criticism is generally moronic, because it is all  based around Morientes goalscoring record.
Very few of the posts take account of the true role that Morientes is playing.
The goal against City came from Morientes breaking down the City play, passing to Gerrard and the rest as they say is history!
How many have credited Morientes with a hand in that goal ?
It is a team game and all make a contribution, Kewell and Gerrard get the praise for the spectacularly obvious. How many look behind the superficial evidence and credit the real support roles that players undertake, many of which are directed by managerial and coaching orders.
Let's start giving Nando some appreciation and encouragement and then watch his name appear on the score sheet.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:29 pm

The goal against City came from Morientes breaking down the City play, passing to Gerrard and the rest as they say is history!
How many have credited Morientes with a hand in that goal ?

Me!!! :D

But it's not necessary to call moronic other's opinion, just debate, as you know doing it well.

I agree that he's not credited at all if you attend to what you can read around here it seems that Liverpool has won it's last 3 EPL games with 10 men :) but please, just debate the facts, avoid the moronic and ridiculos statements, because that's unfair. You debate pretty well! so you don't have to do that!
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:36 pm

Redrider wrote:If Morientes were only playing in the striking role I could forgive the moronic for their criticism.
However, Rafa has Moro' playing in a role more akin to that taken up by Paul Scholes for Manu, very much like that taken by Yari Litmannen, who was only truely appreciated for his contribution when he left Anfield.
Take a broader view before you hand out the stick !!

Your statements continue to baffle me ,how you manage to compare Nando's role to that of Paul Scholes is quite frankly mind boggling . Scholes at his best was an offensive midfielder who's talent was in making runs from very deep positions . If you had to compare any Liverpool players role as being similar to Scholes it would be Gerrard (when playing central midfield) .Scholes by the way scored 12 in his last full season for Man U FROM MIDFIELD .

Litmenan wasn't only truely appreciated after he left Anfield ,(what cave were you living in ? ) From day one he was very much appreciated ,indeed many fans were more than p'issed of with the managers treatment of him . Litmenan made only 21 league appearances for LFC  13 of them as a sub .Again how you are able to observe from his 834 mins on the pitch that his Role was the same as Nando's today is just to much for my superficial appreciation  of the game .

Last edited by woof woof ! on Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:38 pm

How Morientes is still in the team staggers me, i dont care how hard he works, closing defenders down is great, but i would be alot happier if he provided any sort of threat.
He was anonymous again yesterday and i cant see how Rafa let him complete the full 90 minutes, and took off Crouch, who was our best player and biggest threat.
If we want to overturn the 1-0 defeat to Benfica in the second leg we need to have a bit of ambition.
3 points is the most important thing, but i was really disappointed yesterday with Rafas negativity.
Kromkamp had a decent game, but to play him when he are playing Man City at home is negative imo....nothing against him, he did have a decent game...but he is a defensive player and City at home is a game we should be going into with a more attacking line-up.
The substitutions really bothered me as well. I know he wanted to protect the lead but we were playing against a side with 10 men, Traore for Kewell  :no  Kewell is one of the only players we have that can carry the ball and break quickly, he cleary had the beating of Mills.
Then to take off Crouch, who had been magnificent, when Morientes had been poor again. All this Morientes needs a goal and then the goals will flow doesn't wash with me. We were saying that earlier in the season, he scored 2 against Boro and i didn't notice any change in his confidence.
His body language on the pitch is of a man who doesn't want to be there.
Rafa needs to be a bit bolder, we should be going for the jugular once we get a lead, i am getting fed up with dominating games and hanging on for a 1-0 win at the end.
I am not a fan of Cisse but with City down to 10 men yesterday why didnt rafa take off Morientes and give Cisse a go, or better still, take off Kromkamp and put Cisse wide right, surely we would of won more convincingly if he would be a bit braver.
If he doesnt take off the shackles against Charlton it will be very difficult for the players to do the same against Benfica, i fear we are getting into a bit of a Houllier type habit of getting a goal and holding on with everyone behind the ball.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:43 pm

Crouch was good, I thought, and Morientes was decent in the first half, but we don't need two strikers "holding the ball up". As a combination they are the most flat-footed pairing we've ever had up front. It should be Crouch and Cisse or Fowler as far as I'm concerned. Morientes has been indulged more than any other player at the club in recent memory.

I can't remember the last goal we actually scored from a through ball because quite simply we don't have the pace or nouse upfront to latch onto any. a top class striker would have a field day with Gerrard and Alonso providing the ammunition.

That said, it was good to see us dominate yet another game and get a deserved win. I think everyone knows that we need to score more goals, and that the strikers we currently have aren't equipped to do that, but we won't be able to address the problem until the end of the season now so there's bugger all we can do about it.

Oh, and I thought Kromkamp and Agger both did reasonably well. Nothing spectacular, but solid enough and both helped with the balance of the team. I never actually realised that Agger was naturally left footed when we signed him but left footed centre halves are a rarity so that's an added bonus.
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:46 pm

Redrider wrote:The goal against City came from Morientes breaking down the City play, passing to Gerrard and the rest as they say is history!

Yeah lets forget that it was Gerrards vision to put Kewell away and Kewells subsequent coolness and ability to finish it . Lets instead give Morientes the credit for managing to give get the ball and give it to someone in a red shirt . Better still why not rewind the game 20 minutes and credit the goal to Reina , if his goal kick handn't landed exactley where it did the game would have been so different .
  :p   :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:50 pm

stmichael wrote:I can't remember the last goal we actually scored from a through ball because quite simply we don't have the pace or nouse upfront to latch onto any. a top class striker would have a field day with Gerrard and Alonso providing the ammunition.

Crouch against Everton.
Btw totally agree, as a pairing Crouch and Morientes just does not work.
I feel a bit sorry for Fowler, when he has been selected its been alongside Morientes and its done him no favours, give him a go off Crouch, so he can try and play more on the shoulder of the defenders. It is a potentially exciting partnership.
At the moment when Robbie has been picked he has been the one making the challenges in the air for Morientes to feed off. Thats not Robbies game and i think we would see a different player if he was selected alongside Crouch.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:11 pm

Yeah lets forget that it was Gerrards vision to put Kewell away and Kewells subsequent coolness and ability to finish it . Lets instead give Morientes the credit for managing to give get the ball and give it to someone in a red shirt . Better still why not rewind the game 20 minutes and credit the goal to Reina , if his goal kick handn't landed exactley where it did the game would have been so different .

Indeed. Football is not basketball, every pass count. Every movement counts, and every time you drag a defence or give a correct support to a mate, counts. And coaches study and get a diploma just to spot that things and put them all together.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kukilon » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:17 pm

It's time to let Morientes sit on the bench for a bit. Team either Robbie or Cisse up with Crouch. I'd rather see Robbie having a go.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby Redrider » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:09 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
Redrider wrote:The goal against City came from Morientes breaking down the City play, passing to Gerrard and the rest as they say is history!

:p   :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:

Like I said, it is a lot easier to applaud the spectacular than it is to appreciate the subtleties !
It is also very easy to jump on the bandwagon of condemnation and join the popular herd.
Both of which are moronic attributes.
I have no fears, Morientes will come good, the lad has pedigree and his class will shine through. Maybe not with Liverpool, should this current wave negative criticism continue.
Which will surely make him wan't to leave. But I for one hope he stays just to prove all the doubters wrong.
:rasp
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:20 pm

Both of which are moronic attributes

You're wrong, it just happens in every club. When any club of any league watches a player since he's a youngster, they learn to appreciate him, that's nice, that's football supporting.

And when a new player , that has reputation, costs money, they also EXPECT the player to be worth the money they've paid for it. And that's not moronic, but a common understandable attitude. It's true then, that a foreign player will have more pressure. Alonso is lucky, because he's class and the people will agree that he's worth the money.

The greater a football team is, the greater this pressure and expectances are. That's a fact, and I think that's what happens, not really "Anfield Curses", but high level of expectatives to new players. This is why LFC is regarded a top level club, because it's more difficult to achieve success than in say, Anoeta. Westerveld was a hero for us, an "average" in Anfield.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:41 pm

Ciggy wrote:My patients have run out now with Morientes

didn't know you worked in a psychiatric ward lynds. mind you that's probably the best place for morientes at the moment.

:laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1139928290 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:44 pm

i'd love to see a cisse and fowler combination  :blues:
115-1139928290

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:30 pm

Ciggy wrote:
Redrider wrote:If Morientes were only playing in the striking role I could forgive the moronic for their criticism.
However, Rafa has Moro' playing in a role more akin to that taken up by Paul Scholes for Manu, very much like that taken by Yari Litmannen, who was only truely appreciated for his contribution when he left Anfield.
Take a broader view before you hand out the stick !!

:angry:  Who the fuck is supposed to score the goals then genius?
The only player that looked like scoring was Crouch to the sound of boo's from around the stadium when the wrong player was being subbed , are the 45 thousand at Anfield wrong aswell then?

spot on, lynds
and why the :censored: he compared moro to scholes? 1. scholes is not a striker, and; 2. scholes' goal rating in manutd is higher than moro in Liverpool

and one more thing, it's JARI litmanen (with 'J' and one 'n') not YARI litmannen
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:36 pm

all that people are saying is we should be scoring more goals, more goals will give us more points
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion