Wake up rafa - Fine line between faith and reality .

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:16 am

dont worry lynds, i think this is the game where fowler will deliver
112-1077774096

Postby Ciggy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:24 am

peewee wrote:dont worry lynds, i think this is the game where fowler will deliver

Im worried, by these 1-0 wins I know its 3 points, but seriously the chances we have, the corners we get, our score line is really poor, we dominate nearly every game, have the most possession.
Surely Morientes needs dropping? or atleast come on as a sub?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:47 am

All those who down play Morientes are indicating that they only have a superficial appreciation of the game.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:50 am

If the biggest worry now is we are only winning 1-0 then things cant be that bad.
Its fairly obviously that striker department is going to be need an overhaul in the summer, just like one that was carried out on defence when Rafa first got here and the midfield
Though i still really cant see us offloading both Nando and Cisse in the summer and getting enough cash from their sale.
Until then though lets hope they crack a few in and have a Harry Kewell like redemption
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:58 am

Redrider wrote:All those who down play Morientes are indicating that they only have a superficial appreciation of the game.

I know what your saying but at the end of the day strikers are judged on goals and he hasn't been scoring since coming to Anfield, the same goes for Cisse, if I wasn't doing my job right then I'd get the sack so I don't see why it should be any different at Anfield!
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:05 am

Morientes is a clssic case of someone who needs a partnership to start producing. He has showed that he is unable to create goals by himself. When he has played alongside Fowler it seems to bring out some understanding between them. I think as combinations go Fowler & Morientes are a good pairing, Crouch & Cisse on paper should work also, height and pace never fails - look what we achieved with Heskey and Owen. Morientes needs that partnership and maybe Rafa should pick his best combinations and stick to them.

I think Garcia, although frustrating at times, needs to be a here next season. The uncertainty factor is vital when you need new tactic to break down a stern defense. He has some unique benefits to the team.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:16 am

I too worry about getting 2 goals... 8 matches in a row now without scoring more than 1. ok so it doesnt matter in the league when 1-0 wins will do (which is still not good tho, we can't take a foot off the pedal or rest players like we would if 3-0 up).

I think start crouch and fowler.... in if no score at half time bring cisse on upfront, playing 433 with riise and finnan pushing on even more, supporting the midfield, as we have to score twice

.... not suggesting cisse will score of course... but he might keep some defenders occupied while fowler scores his hatrick
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:27 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:Morientes is a clssic case of someone who needs a partnership to start producing. He has showed that he is unable to create goals by himself. When he has played alongside Fowler it seems to bring out some understanding between them. I think as combinations go Fowler & Morientes are a good pairing, Crouch & Cisse on paper should work also, height and pace never fails - look what we achieved with Heskey and Owen. Morientes needs that partnership and maybe Rafa should pick his best combinations and stick to them.

I think Garcia, although frustrating at times, needs to be a here next season. The uncertainty factor is vital when you need new tactic to break down a stern defense. He has some unique benefits to the team.

Yeah they had a good understanding but when Robbie created chances for Nando he never hit the target, main example was in the Wigan game the other week where all he had to do was connact with the ball and it was a goal but he couldn't even do that  :no
Last edited by Paul C on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:43 am

Redrider wrote:All those who down play Morientes are indicating that they only have a superficial appreciation of the game.

Nine goals in 50 games ! What is it exactly some of us fail to appreciate about Morientes ?
I think someone who is satisfied with those stats from a Liverpool STRIKER has a very superficial passion for LFC .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:53 am

Been done to death before, but all this needs a partnership with a guy who creates the chances for him, needs it putting accross the area about 6ft7in off the ground with a little bit of bend taking it away from the keeper is such a lot of nonsense. Good strikers of whichever type you care to mention provide a threat. They don't always deliver on that potential, thats why it's a threat but it is there nonetheless.
Crouch yesterday provided a threat. He hit the bar, was just wide with the near post flick and had his self-made one on one saved. Didn't score but provided a threat whereas Morientes didn't. Posters who attempt to take the high ground and claim that those who don't appreciate Morientes only have a superficial appreciation of the game are way off the mark.
I repeat what I said last week, sooner or later Morientes will score if he continues to play every game. I hope it's soon and then he gets another quickly after that in an important game, Benfica at Home would be nice. Then we can put this "ah but he lacks confidence" to bed. It took us until half-way through this season and the the second half of last to put the "Ah but he hasn't had many games" finally to rest. Then maybe we can see how suited to our League he really is and who has a superficial appreciation of the game.

Quick point on the natural goalscorer front. Gerrards shot right at the end of the first half yesterday. Flashed accross the face of goal, ooooooooooooooh!!! go the crowd. Any of our strikers reaking their neck to get open on the offchance that he might skew the shot like he did? No? thought not.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:06 am

And your an idiot to quote Stu the red on this one, you have no clue about football, as Paul C has said he would be sacked if he didnt do his job, being a striker at Liverpool is no different its a job, if you dont do your job then you must leave.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:10 am

If Morientes were only playing in the striking role I could forgive the moronic for their criticism.
However, Rafa has Moro' playing in a role more akin to that taken up by Paul Scholes for Manu, very much like that taken by Yari Litmannen, who was only truely appreciated for his contribution when he left Anfield.
Take a broader view before you hand out the stick !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:13 am

Redrider wrote:If Morientes were only playing in the striking role I could forgive the moronic for their criticism.
However, Rafa has Moro' playing in a role more akin to that taken up by Paul Scholes for Manu, very much like that taken by Yari Litmannen, who was only truely appreciated for his contribution when he left Anfield.
Take a broader view before you hand out the stick !!

:angry:  Who the fuck is supposed to score the goals then genius?
The only player that looked like scoring was Crouch to the sound of boo's from around the stadium when the wrong player was being subbed , are the 45 thousand at Anfield wrong aswell then?
Last edited by Ciggy on Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:22 am

Redrider wrote:If Morientes were only playing in the striking role I could forgive the moronic for their criticism.

This is what does me. Why is the criticism moronic? I had this out with another fella in the last couple of days. I've said where I think he goes wrong, what he should do more of and why I don't think he'll ever succeed. I'm no einstein but I do know a bit about football and don't consider myself a moron.
If you think he'll succeed it doesn't mean that you're a moron, it just means that we disagree.
I don't know how to post links up, but you could take a look at the "Fernando Morientes.....can he cut it in England" thread in Advanced debate. It's not as if some of us have just jumped on the bandwagon to slag the fella off, it's been misgivings held over a long period of time. In fairness, I think I've actually been quite supportive of him on here, praising his workrate etc etc. Truth is though, I think he is totally and absolutely unsuited to English football. I don't think though that makes me a moron, but if you do that's OK.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:26 am

I must back bigmick there, his criticism hasn't been moronic nor ridiculous never. Harsh, sometimes in my liking, but perfectly explained. :) and with good manners.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion