Voronin deal sealed

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:15 am

According to a reliable German source, Andrei Voronin of Bayer Leverkusen will join us in the summer.

Sky Sh1t have just reported:

Bayern Leverkusen striker Andrei Voronin has reportedly clinched a deal to join Liverpool in the summer.

The Ukrainian international is out of contract at the end of the season and has reached a agreement that will see him join The Reds on a four-year contract in June.

Voronin had been linked with a move to Celtic in December but will now join Craig Bellamy, Peter Crouch, Robbie Fowler and Dirk Kuyt in Rafa Benitez's plans at Anfield.

The 27-year-old has bagged six goals in 20 league appearances for the German club this season and, following Bayer's 1-0 defeat to Hannover on Saturday, it was announced that the striker will pursue a career in England come the end of the season.

Voronin is keen to widen his experiences after spending a decade in Germany since joining Borussia Dortmund as an 18-year-old from his native Ukraine.

"I have been in Germany for ten years now, that is a long time," said Voronin in Kicker. "I want to see something else."

Voronin's prospective arrival could provoke fresh doubts over Fowler's future at Anfield, as the Reds hero also sees his contract expire at the end of the season

The German Source:
http://www.kicker.de/fussball/bundesliga/startseite/artikel/361688/

Veronin is a decent player, nothing more really. He isn't one of the most clinical strikers in Germany but a typical Benitez signing, as he works hard for the team,etc.. The usual.
Last edited by A.B. on Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dundalk » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:17 am

How good is this guy and in fairness who the hell is he?
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:21 am

Dundalk wrote:How good is this guy and in fairness who the hell is he?

He's from the Ukraine and has been playing for Leverkusen for four or five seasons now.

He isn't that good to be quite honest with you.

This year:

14 starts, [6 sub appearances] = 6 goals, 5 assists

2005/2006:
27 starts, [2 sub appearances]= 7 goals

2004/2005:
28 starts [10 sub appearances]= 17 goals
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Elchris » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:23 am

weird..... ??? i wonder what rafa has in mind
Elchris

Postby Dundalk » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:24 am

And with all the money we are supposed to be getting is this the type of player we are looking to attract, I dont think so.

He sounds more of a Wigan or Pompey signing.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Elchris » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:28 am

First name: Andriy; nationality: Ukrainian; position: forward. That might sound like a sure-fire recipe for success(YEAH RITE), but Andrey Voronin has not won the Ballon d’Or or the UEFA Champions League just yet. With his unkempt locks and hunched shoulders, he does not quite have the elegance of Shevchenko either, but that is of little matter. On the field of play, he has shown that they do have one thing in common: the knack of scoring vital goals during Ukraine’s qualifying campaign for the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™.
Less prolific than the AC Milan ace, Voronin had to be content with a place on the substitutes’ bench for the early qualifiers. By dint of patience and hard work, the Bayer Leverkusen striker has become a key component in Oleg Blokhin’s system. Since his international debut in March 2002, Voronin has frequently been used as a ‘supersub’, fully justifying his coach’s faith in him whenever called upon.

Denied a regular place at the spearhead of the attack by the immovable Shevchenko, Voronin was even forced to make his international debut on the left of midfield, despite having shown his goalscoring qualities with numerous clubs. "At Mainz, I used to play up front, but one doesn’t always have a choice in the national team,” he reasoned in April 2003 as Ukraine sought to qualify for UEFA Euro 2004. “So I’m playing on the left of midfield. Against Spain (on 29 March 2003, 2-2), I was up against Michel Salgado and I don’t think he had an easy game."

After an apprenticeship with Chernomorets Odessa, Voronin never had the chance to shine on Ukrainian pitches. At the age of just 18, he packed his bags for Borussia Moenchengladbach to take his first tentative steps in the Bundesliga. Making seven appearances in his first season, he opened his account for the German club in May 1998 against Hansa Rostock. It was to be his only first-team goal at ‘Gladbach’, who were relegated at the end of the season.

After two seasons languishing primarily in the reserves, he signed for second division club Mainz in 1999. Anonymous during his first two seasons, he suddenly burst into life during the 2002/03 campaign, bagging 20 goals in 31 games to help earn his side a place among the elite.

Out of contract with Mainz, the Ukrainian then signed for fellow Germans FC Cologne, who had also been promoted to the top flight in 2003. Despite finding goals harder to come by (he managed just four in 19 games), his great turn of pace, dribbling skills and wonderful vision still caught the eye of Bayer Leverkusen.

Bayer, in the throes of major reconstruction after the 2002 UEFA Champions League final and the departure of top players like Michael Ballack and Ze Roberto, would not regret their decision. Voronin netted 15 times in 32 games as the formidable partnership he formed with the Bulgarian Dimitar Berbatov struck fear into the hearts of Bundesliga defences.

Voronin’s performances also made a sufficient impression on the national team coach for him to be given the role of understudy to Shevchenko, linking up with the Milan forward in certain games. And when the great man has been unavailable, Voronin has shown himself more than capable of stepping into his shoes. “Like all top stars, Shevchenko plays an essential role, but we saw today that the team is strong enough to get by without him,” confirmed Blokhin after the 1-0 qualifying win over Denmark. That day, it was Andrey Voronin who took on the mantle of saviour by scoring the only goal of the game.

Elchris

Postby metalhead » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:28 am

Dundalk wrote:And with all the money we are supposed to be getting is this the type of player we are looking to attract, I dont think so.

No.. I disagree, he is a good finisher and has good acceleration and pace, but I don't think he is a type of striker we need.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:31 am

metalhead wrote:
Dundalk wrote:And with all the money we are supposed to be getting is this the type of player we are looking to attract, I dont think so.

No.. I disagree, he is a good finisher and has good acceleration and pace, but I don't think he is a type of striker we need.

He has a decent touch, he's intelligent on the ball but I agree that he isn't what we need at the moment.

We need our strikers to be more prolific, and Veronin isn't exactly better than what we already have.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby metalhead » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:36 am

A.B. wrote:
metalhead wrote:

He has a decent touch, he's intelligent on the ball but I agree that he isn't what we need at the moment.

We need our strikers to be more prolific, and Veronin isn't exactly better than what we already have.

We need a striker who has excellent composure infront of goal, who under pressure can bloody score it smoothley and cooley!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Elchris » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:07 am

metalhead wrote:
A.B. wrote:
metalhead wrote:

We need a striker who has excellent composure infront of goal, who under pressure can bloody score it smoothley and cooley!

i would recommend giving our  current striker to smoke some weed to calm themselves abit thus giving them more composure in front of d goal post  :p
Elchris

Postby Dundalk » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:07 am

Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:15 am

What I can see is .... the last season for RF .....
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:59 am

Squad player then?

It certainly spells the end for God, but it doesn't take a rocket-scientist to realise he's not fancied anymore.
Sad day, though, when he leaves again.
:(

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:04 am

I can't say I remember ever seeing him play or hearing much about him really. From what I have heard he's decent but no better than what we have. I preferred the other less likely rumour that Eto'o was going to come, or if we want a freebie Klose.
account deleted by request

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:51 am

With all the funds allegidlly comming in this summer we go for a player like him. Hes not that good. We should be going for

Klose
Richards
Pedersen

etc.
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion