Viera - Better for us if he had gone

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:18 pm

Very dissapointed to hear Viera is staying with Arsenal. It could be bad news for us. I gather the deal for Alonso is close to completion but i would not be surprised if Real come in an nick him from under our noses. Maybe Parry should threaten to pull the plug on the Owen deal if that happens :D

I know it's a long wat away but i can also see Real coming in for Stevie this time next year now they have missed out on the Arsenal captain. Especially with Owen & Becks whispering in the manager's ear.

And thirdly, Arsenal will be very strong again next year now that he is staying.

Still, New manager, new season starts tomorrow an i haven't felt this optimistic for a long while. Walk on....
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:24 pm

veiria wasn't gonna be paid the same amount as zidane so he stayed at aresnal if they payed him more like beckham he would of gone.
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:18 pm

If they nick Alonso as well then that really will be the icing on the ****** cake
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:08 pm

Real have got a Spanish manager who clearly values Morrientes and does not want another striker but wants a holding midfielder ala Viera. I think Owen is in for a much tougher time as he has to prove himself to Camacho.

As for Viera, he is considered as the best in the world in his position and unlike Gerrard at this juncture, Viera can also rise to the big occassion as in the Euro 2004. Perhaps Gerrard's inconsistent displays was due to England's tactics and style of play rather than any fault of his own.

What I am trying to say is that Viera was offered a salary at the same level as Roberto Carlos and not on the same level as Zidane, Raul and Beckham and definitely lower than what he gets at Arsenal. Why should he go there on those terms as he is coveted by just about every coach in Europe? I think his salary offer was a lower basic plus performance related bonuses which would take him on par if Madrid were successful, but football is not solely determined by one player. If I were Perez, I would break the bank to get Viera and would pay him as much as the other galacticos.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:11 pm

I'm glad that Viera stayed, Real Madrid have enough star players as it is.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby whitehouse » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:25 pm

viera says he could not leave arsenal because of his love for the club wot a load of b******s had the deal been right and real had the money arsenal fans would not have seen him for dust. Always make me laugh when players come out and say this if he had so much love for the club why has it took him so long to make his decision
whitehouse

Postby A.B. » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:27 pm

Heh Viera wanted more money which Real Madrid wouldn't give, so he decided to stay at Arsenal "because he loves the club" bullspit.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby the great one » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:30 pm

he wanted to be on the same as zidane and he was only goin to be on the same as r.carlos if vieria was on more he would of stayed .i heard owen is gonna take a pay cut.
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:50 pm

There was no mention of a pay cut for Owen but definitely Madrid owns or co-owns with Owen the personal endorsements/advert rights. So, in total, this would be a pay cut.

The big question is why would Owen want to go so much when he is a known quantity here and Camacho has said that he does not want another striker? Could it be because Benithez does not guarentee that he is an automatic first choice?
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion