Veira "gerrard is better than me" - Like we didn't know

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Paul C » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:05 pm

Last edited by Paul C on Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:08 pm

Vieira is better than Gerrard.
115-1073096938

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:11 pm

last season gerrard was better than vieira but i still give vieira the slightest edge due to his experience and ability to control a game. i think vieira's comments were that gerrard is better than he was at his age. vieira is 27 and at his peak, gerrard is 3-4 years off it still.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby whylongball? » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:35 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Vieira is better than Gerrard.

true in terms of experience and thats it. For other attributes SG is equal or better, tackling included.
whylongball?

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:42 pm

Hmm, touch, vision, technique, strength, decision making, reading of the game.

Vieira is a better player. Gerrard controls more of the pitch, Vieira controls the centre better than anyone. He's a better player than Gerrard.
115-1073096938

Postby taff » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:46 pm

Id love to say Gerrard but Vieira is class. Gerrard has come on leaps and bound in the last twelve months and added a lot more consistency to his game and has overtaken Keane but Vieira for me is just that little bit ahead. Interesting to see who comes on top next season mind you.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:50 pm

Have this discussion in two more years , the way he is going Stevie will be the worlds no1 player (in his position).
:) :) :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby simic_ie » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:52 pm

So far Gerrard has had one good season of consistance... when he has done what Roy Keane or Patrick Viera has done, i,e dominate English midfields year in year out, then he can be considered better. As for being better than Roy Keane.. not hard when Keane is ready for the knackers yard after all his injuries. Gerrard may be more technically skilled than Keane but does not, yet,  have the footballing intelligence Keane, or Viera for that matter, has.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:00 pm

he's a better player now than Keane by quite a distance. Keane is no better than Hamann now.
115-1073096938

Postby whylongball? » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:00 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Hmm, touch, vision, technique, strength, decision making, reading of the game.

Vieira is a better player. Gerrard controls more of the pitch, Vieira controls the centre better than anyone. He's a better player than Gerrard.

Ok agree with touch and decision. Not with the rest though. SG can deliver accurate 40m or more passes which Viera is not seen displaying(vision,reading of the game). SG's shorter than Viera a bit, few cm, but heavier and seems more built up, the way he goes for challenge is very forceful..... don't think Viera can be stronger. Gerrad's 1st touch may not be as good but his tackling technique definitely better, more effective and very scary..
But he needs to learn when to deliver long passes for some time a short pass can also do..In that terms, Viera's better in controling the game's pace..
just my opinion :D
whylongball?

Postby simic_ie » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:02 pm

I agree but Keane cannot move like he used to because of injury, I'm saying that Keane 3 years ago was superior to Gerrard now by some distance
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:05 pm

simic_ie wrote:So far Gerrard has had one good season of consistance... when he has done what Roy Keane or Patrick Viera has done, i,e dominate English midfields year in year out, then he can be considered better. As for being better than Roy Keane.. not hard when Keane is ready for the knackers yard after all his injuries. Gerrard may be more technically skilled than Keane but does not, yet,  have the footballing intelligence Keane, or Viera for that matter, has.

yah agree..SG still loses out in terms of experience(the key to football intelligence) compared to Viera..Roy Keane? too slow and weak now..
whylongball?

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:08 pm

stevie is still 3-4 years off his peak. vieira is at his peak now. if stevie continues to improve at the rate he has over the last 18 months i still think he can be the best central midfielder this country's ever had. :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:17 pm

stmichael wrote:stevie is still 3-4 years off his peak. vieira is at his peak now. if stevie continues to improve at the rate he has over the last 18 months i still think he can be the best central midfielder this country's ever had. :)

The way the lad is improving , 3/4 years down the line he will be the worlds number one. And right now I wouldn't swap him for Viera who in my opinion has now reached his peak . Stevie Gerrard will leave more of a legend at the end of his career .Only ars*hole fans and the odd frog will remember  whats his name again ?   :angry:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:00 pm

Gerrards biggest problem was consistency and hopefully it looks like he has matured in that department. If he plays every game with a level of consistency I cant see anybody including Vieira bettering him. 

Keane has gone but for me he was the master in this in recent times hence Fergusons talk about Gerrard recently.

Vieira can go missing sometimes but the difference there is his teammates please oh please let us have Aimar
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion