Valencia ready to offload aimar

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:22 pm

of course size is a factor, its not the be all and end all but if there were two centre halves of equal ability and one was 5`1 and the other 6`2 i know which one i`d take.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby tel » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:01 am

stu_the_red wrote:
If it isn't an issue then why do we see so few Zolas, Owens, Juninhos and the like?

Cannavaro.

5'9 and one of the best centre halfs to walk the earth in the last  10-15 years. 

The reason for this is obvious, the average height of a male is between 5'10 and 6'2. The same reason there aren't many massive footballers like Crouch and Koller. Size doesn't make you a better player.

Attributes do. It you have the ability it doesn't matter weather you're 5'5 or 6'5. If that was the case all the best players would be the tallest and biggest build. Owen's one of the best strikers this countries ever produced, compare him to Crouch, Heskey, Campbell etc etc.

Size means nothing. Ability is everything.

Clearly you've got small mans syndrome.
tel

Postby tel » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:09 am

Aimar is a better player than Robben, and Robben is small and slight of frame. But he single handedly changed the Chelsea team and made them much more dangerous when he was available.

When Aimar first went to Valencia, he was played wide on the left. Rafa brought him into the middle.

He still plays wide when required, a sign of a good footballer.

He is a must for the LFC. One more attacking option, whether wide on either flank (the way they interchange Duff/Robben, Pires/Reyes and Ronaldo/Giggs), or behind Morientes. He can similarly play on the opposite flank to Garcia. I'd pick him over Garcia anyway because he creates many more goals than garcia.

What does Maradona say about him, a man with never a  generous word about anyone else except himself (and that includes Pele). "Aimar is the only player today I would pay money to see"
tel

Postby akumaface » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:15 am

If we have the chance to get Aimar, we should. This kind of gifted player is hard to come by. It doesn't matter whether we have Garcia or not. Rafa will figure it out.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:25 pm

of course size is a factor, its not the be all and end all but if there were two centre halves of equal ability and one was 5`1 and the other 6`2 i know which one i`d take.

What about Cannavaro who's 5'9 and Matt Elliot who's 6'3?

Look, i'm not going to sit here debating this ****** with you. Size and physicique doesn't make a great player.

If Luis Garcia was strong he'd be a better player. If Baros could finish and had awareness he'd be a better player. Its a pointless arguement.

The issue is,  class and ability. Not size.

Ability effects everything. Weather you are 5'5 or 6'5.
115-1073096938

Postby wee_boi888 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:40 pm

Ability is the key factor, but strength and size does help. We've seen/read lotsa example in this thread of smaller 'weaker' players who have done well in the prem due to their high skill levels - just think on what they might of achieved with the skill and a higher level of strength.

Size and physique doesnt make you a great player, stu is right there - but it definately helps.
wee_boi888
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:17 pm

Ability is the key factor, but strength and size does help. We've seen/read lotsa example in this thread of smaller 'weaker' players who have done well in the prem due to their high skill levels - just think on what they might of achieved with the skill and a higher level of strength.

But the point is you can say that about anyone.

If only Hyypia had pace and athletisism he'd be perfect, if only everyone had Carragher's attitude. Blah blah blah. It all amounts to the same thing.

If you're good enough you'll succeed. Simple as that.
115-1073096938

Postby JC_81 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:46 pm

tel wrote:Aimar is a better player than Robben, and Robben is small and slight of frame. But he single handedly changed the Chelsea team and made them much more dangerous when he was available.

Robben doesn't look that small to me mate.

He is quite big as a matter of fact, quite tall for a winger
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:49 pm

Abilty combined with the right attitude will always overcome physical attributes like size and strength, a good example of this was the FA cup semi final the other day between Blackburn and Arsenal. Blackburn ran around the whole 90 minutes kicking,fighting and tackling Arsenal players, but Arsenals superior levels of skill and technique eventually overcame their Physical disadvantage to win comfortably.

I think the same principle also aplies to small light weight players. If their abilty is high enough they can easily avoid the tough tacklers and battlers of the premiership, and if all else fails a smaller guy can always go to the gym  :D
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:55 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:Abilty combined with the right attitude will always overcome physical attributes like size and strength, a good example of this was the FA cup semi final the other day between Blackburn and Arsenal. Blackburn ran around the whole 90 minutes kicking,fighting and tackling Arsenal players, but Arsenals superior levels of skill and technique eventually overcame their Physical disadvantage to win comfortably.

I think the same principle also aplies to small light weight players. If their abilty is high enough they can easily avoid the tough tacklers and battlers of the premiership, and if all else fails a smaller guy can always go to the gym  :D

If a big physically strong guy has the same mental toughness and technical skills as a small guy then he will be better.

Therefore physical strength does matter.  End of story
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:00 pm

john craig wrote:If a big physically strong guy has the same mental toughness and technical skills as a small guy then he will be better.

Yeah well how many big strong physical type players are blessed with the skills of lets say Wright phillips or Aimar.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:28 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
If it isn't an issue then why do we see so few Zolas, Owens, Juninhos and the like?

Cannavaro.

5'9 and one of the best centre halfs to walk the earth in the last  10-15 years. 

The reason for this is obvious, the average height of a male is between 5'10 and 6'2. The same reason there aren't many massive footballers like Crouch and Koller. Size doesn't make you a better player.

Attributes do. It you have the ability it doesn't matter weather you're 5'5 or 6'5. If that was the case all the best players would be the tallest and biggest build. Owen's one of the best strikers this countries ever produced, compare him to Crouch, Heskey, Campbell etc etc.

Size means nothing. Ability is everything.

I can agree with you Stu. Skills and attitude differentiate a merely good player from a world class one. That's not in doubt. What I'm worry about is Aimar will turn out to be another Reyes...skillful but can heck the roughness of the Premiership and crying to be back home.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:07 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:
john craig wrote:If a big physically strong guy has the same mental toughness and technical skills as a small guy then he will be better.

Yeah well how many big strong physical type players are blessed with the skills of lets say Wright phillips or Aimar.

Henry, Vieira, Gerrard, R Ferdinand and Lampard are the best players in the prem IMO and thats because they have power and technical ability

They may not have as many tricks as Aimar or SWP but they don't need to.  I agree that height does not really matter in football but strength does, especially in the modern game.  Zola may have been small but he had legs like tree-trunks and was a strong guy.

There are always exceptions but in general slightly built players will not make it in the modern game
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:34 pm

john craig wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:

Henry, Vieira, Gerrard, R Ferdinand and Lampard are the best players in the prem IMO and thats because they have power and technical ability

They may not have as many tricks as Aimar or SWP but they don't need to.  I agree that height does not really matter in football but strength does, especially in the modern game.  Zola may have been small but he had legs like tree-trunks and was a strong guy.

There are always exceptions but in general slightly built players will not make it in the modern game

I cant agree with that!

Owen used to get knocked over all the time he wasn't big or strong, but he most certainly has a place in the modern game!

On the flip side there is Duncan Ferguson, he is big and strong but definately has no place in the modern game!!!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:49 pm

smaller players will always get more knocks and bumps im not denying that, but a player like Aimar who is blessed with exceptional talent has what it takes to run rings around the bigger stronger players.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion