Upson to liverpool?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dawson99 » Wed May 05, 2004 10:15 am

Hey,
yet more rumours that we are going to buy Upson, for £5 million. Id love it if we got Upson, someone fast to work alongside Hypia could sort out our defense nicely. Just thought id mention it  :cool:
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed May 05, 2004 10:20 am

Yeah he's a very good centre back, and he's proven in the Premiership, even though he hasn't had the best second half of the season.  I'd rather buy proven Premiership players than players from other leagues.  I just don't trust Houllier's judgment anymore, my evidence being the last two years.  I'm not saying foreign players are bad, i'm all for them, the league has been lit up by them (most of Arsenal's squad for example!!!).  It's just that we don't get any of the decent ones, and if we do, Houllier sells (Anelka, Litmanen) them!!!!!!

If he's to stay on as manager, he needs a successful buy and quick.  I'm not sure Cisse is the answer.  I'd love to be proved wrong though.
jonnymac1979

Postby stmichael » Wed May 05, 2004 11:02 am

upson would be a good buy as he is a rare commodity for a centre back- he's NATURALLY LEFT FOOTED. he could work well in tandem with hyypia. :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ICE-MAN » Wed May 05, 2004 12:07 pm

yeah i would defintely be up for signing upson he's a good young centre half, sign him sell troare biscan ignal and babbel in my opinion :)
ICE-MAN

Postby Redtribe » Wed May 05, 2004 3:37 pm

Not totally convinced by Upson!

I would rather see Mexes next season!

But at least its been rumoured that an area other then Centre forward might get a chance of playing in red next year!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed May 05, 2004 3:40 pm

i like upson but i'm not quite sure where everyone gets the notion that the guy has pace. from what i've seen he's not the quickest. he's also had an alarming dip of form and lost his place in the england squad.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redtribe » Wed May 05, 2004 3:55 pm

Yeah i wouldnt say he is slower then Henchoz or Hypia
But he is not lightning quick either!

Someone like Toure or Gallas would be good!
If you are to play with attacking full backs which J.A.R. and Finnan are supposed to be then pace to cover at the back is vital!
Dropping Hamann back does not help as he too has zero pace!

As i said Mexes seems to be the best option!
So i hope we go for him and get him!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed May 05, 2004 3:59 pm

kolo toure for £250,000 just proves the difference in talent spotting between two certain french managers. :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul C » Wed May 05, 2004 4:00 pm

Yup I agree, Mexes over Upson anyday  :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Wed May 05, 2004 4:01 pm

Oh and lets not forget then that Wenger let Upson leave Arsenal!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed May 05, 2004 6:02 pm

Upson would be good signing imo. He's not a complete player yet but he is very quick and good positionally. He is also commanding.

His loss of form was down to injury, he'll be back to his best soon enough. I'd love to see him signed but i doubt it will happen.

Just lazy paper talk imo.
115-1073096938

Postby adayinthelife » Wed May 05, 2004 6:04 pm

Upson would be a good signing as I think Arsenal with him last season would have won the league instead of playing that stick cygan.
Any chance of a straight swop deal with heskey???
Now that would be good business.
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed May 05, 2004 6:17 pm

In my opinion, Upson is an excellent player, lets not forget that the lad is only 24 years of age and he learnt his trade under arguably some of the best defenders, (Adams, Keown, Dixon, Winterburn, Bould) and therefore the best defensive coaches in the business. Wenger did not get rid of him, Upson requested a transfer after not in his opinion being given a fair crack of the whip. Prior to the unearthing of Kolo Toure, Wenger would have given his right arm to bring the lad back in exchange for that dodgey franch baldy guy.(name escapes me).

What have let Gerard houllier down in the past in regards to signings is the fact that he has signed players who looked good in other (possibly weaker) leagues and they have simply failed to adapt or not been good enough for the Premeir League. In Upson you have a lad who is proven english league quality, and is young enough to be able to improve with the right coaching and also by playing next to someone of proven quality in Sami. (apologies Kenny Cunningham)

Whilst I have seen only limited bits of Mexes, and he did look good and pacey, it is never a sure thing that his style and quality will translate into a good defender in this league.

I beleive that Houllier would try to sign Mexes before Upson, as he has proven in the past he likes to surround himself with plenty of yes men from back home, but I think that Mexes is a little full of himself, and maybe on the look out for a Juve or Barca type of move rather than into the Premeirship.

If it was upto me I would go for Upson, reason being there is no worry about him "needing a season to adapt."
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ROBtheRED » Wed May 05, 2004 6:30 pm

Agreed, i think Upson would be a good addition - the main benefit being he's a proven premiership player, and has got himself into the England squad with Birmingham City which is an achievement, he has been unlucky with injuries this season but he has quality and i would say he's worth £5m at least and flatnose Bruce has had his eye on Emile so we could be lookin at a straight swap!?!?
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the kop make you feel great. . .yet humble."   Mr B.Shankly
ROBtheRED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed May 05, 2004 6:44 pm

Good business if its a straight swap, still £15m in the kitty after the purchase of Cisse for two real good midfielders.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion