Uefa to find liverpool euro solution - From football365

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:52 pm

UEFA to find Liverpool Euro solution
Sunday June 05 2005

UEFA will endeavour to find a "positive" solution to Liverpool's quest to defend thier Champions League crown next season, according to a member of their executive committee.

Pressure has increased on European football's governing body in the past week to include the Reds in next season's competition following their stunning penalty shoot-out triumph over AC Milan in Istanbul.

"I feel the situation is very difficult," reflected Eggert Magnusson, who is also president of the Football Association of Iceland. "UEFA is obviously looking into this matter very seriously."

He continued: "I have always said this was a matter the [English] FA should have taken firmly, maybe two or three months ago when they faced the possibility Liverpool could be in the final or even win the competition.

"The regulations say it quite clearly that there can only be four teams from each nation, maximum, in the Champions League.

"I think a lot of people within UEFA, within the executive committee, have a feeling in their heart for Liverpool, but the rules are there to be followed, and that is something we also have to stand by."

The Anfield club will probably have to wait until the middle of the month before the issue is resolved by UEFA's 15-man executive committee at their meeting in Manchester on June 17.

UEFA president Lennart Johansson is understood to be broadly supportive, and his influence is extremely important though not necessarily decisive, with many executive committee members insisting the competition's rules must be adhered too.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion