Uefa cl decision thread - All post reaction here please

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:59 pm

Dalglish wrote:I am livid that we will not enjoy any of the benefits of being the holders whislt next years winners will be !!!!!!

Who said money doesn't rule football ???

my point exactly, we won the competition last year and what do we get for our success? the mess of playing from the begining with europes amatuer leagues causing mayhem to our fixture list.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:00 pm

Dont you listen to them my mate Crespo...........what a name
Couple of great goals in the final..........oh wait they didnt turn out to be the winning goals did they

LOSER
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:02 pm

laza wrote:Dont you listen to them my mate Crespo...........what a name
Couple of great goals in the final..........oh wait they didnt turn out to be the winning goals did they

LOSER

All this fool does on here is posts teams anyway, why does he bother loggin on  ???
And BTW stick Crespo up yer @rse.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:10 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:
Dalglish wrote:I am livid that we will not enjoy any of the benefits of being the holders whislt next years winners will be !!!!!!

my point exactly, we won the competition last year and what do we get for our success? the mess of playing from the begining with europes amatuer leagues causing mayhem to our fixture list.

Thanks Fowler for picking up on my point.

I mean what changes NEXT season that the WINNERS will gain automatic entry as top seeds that isn;t in palce THIS season.....

Real Madrid won it in 2000, finished 5th yet through their own Spanish FA were allowed in as top seeds. I don't know who pisses me off more, UEFA or the FA !!!!! :angry:

I'm have the accountants at Liverpool do their sums and see if the amount of money lost through cancelling the pre Season tour , the increased burden of additional fixtures and the impact it may well have on our attempts to finish in the TOP 4 next season is really worth it.

Last season I travelled to Burnley (Twice) for an FA Cup fixture only to watch the reserves and was annoyed about how we treated the FA Cup. We ought to at least give serious thought to not entering the League Cup to alleviate an already full fixture list ......
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:13 pm

I'd sod the world club cup off as well, why should we represent UEFA when we have provided them with one of the best finals in their competiton ever yet they still stuff us around?

Super Cup is right in the middle of league games, send the reserves.

Easy. :)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:18 pm

The UEFA are bunch of spineless asswipes. I can't believe they put us in the 1st qualifying round, I was hoping we would be placed in the 3rd round instead.

Now this could have a serious impact on our season as we could ended up playing more games than any other side in the league.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:33 pm

At least we're in it, but potentially 6 games to play before the group stage could have a serious knock-on effect for the rest of the season.

I think you will see Rafa moving very quickly now for his close-season transfers as pre-season may have to start even earlier now.

I just hope we get everton in the 3rd qualifier and put them out.  How sweet would that be!!! :p
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:34 pm

but good news, only 1 month to go til our season begins...lol.. madness
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:36 pm

Dalglish wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:

Thanks Fowler for picking up on my point.

I mean what changes NEXT season that the WINNERS will gain automatic entry as top seeds that isn;t in palce THIS season.....

Real Madrid won it in 2000, finished 5th yet through their own Spanish FA were allowed in as top seeds. I don't know who pisses me off more, UEFA or the FA !!!!! :angry:

I'm have the accountants at Liverpool do their sums and see if the amount of money lost through cancelling the pre Season tour , the increased burden of additional fixtures and the impact it may well have on our attempts to finish in the TOP 4 next season is really worth it.

Last season I travelled to Burnley (Twice) for an FA Cup fixture only to watch the reserves and was annoyed about how we treated the FA Cup. We ought to at least give serious thought to not entering the League Cup to alleviate an already full fixture list ......

i would say the FA has to take shoulder the blame for this mess because they could have solved this problem months ago, but simply passed the buck on the UEFA. UEFA though are almost as bad, how can they change the rules for the winners making them automatic top seeds in the group stages and then not apply the rule for us! the whole thing stinks to high heaven
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:39 pm

You know us playing games this early could work out well for us, and I say that because if we play games then we won't be as rusty when the Premiership starts, but then again it can also have a negative effect.....
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:42 pm

Check this out, Manchester City will now be given our UEFA Cup place.

The Premier League have welcomed UEFA's 'brave and correct' decision to allow Liverpool to defend the Champions League trophy, but want Manchester City to be handed a UEFA Cup place as a result.

The Anfield outfit had been due to represent the Barclays Premiership in the UEFA Cup, along with Bolton Wanderers and Middlesbrough, after finishing fifth in the table.

But following their thrilling Champions League final success over AC Milan in Istanbul, Rafael Benitez's side will now become England's fifth representative in the tournament, alongside Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United and Everton.

LIVERPOOL CAN DEFEND TROPHY

That leaves the Barclays Premiership with just two teams in the UEFA Cup, and the Premier League want the third place to be allocated to Manchester City, who finished eighth.

The Premier League also called on UEFA to reconsider their ruling to distribute England's Champions League pool share between five, rather than four clubs.

A Premier League spokesman said: “We are very pleased for Liverpool Football Club and in many ways UEFA have taken a brave and correct decision.

"However we do not feel this should have been at the expense of the English game’s third UEFA Cup place, nor the Champions League pool as distributed between the four qualified clubs.

"As a result we will be asking the FA to formally re-nominate Bolton Wanderers, Middlesbrough FC and Manchester City in the three UEFA Cup places allocated to the English game.”
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:44 pm

A.B. wrote:You know us playing games this early could work out well for us, and I say that because if we play games then we won't be as rusty when the Premiership starts, but then again it can also have a negative effect.....

It could work either way, but traditionally it has a detrimental effect on the team. For example if you look at teams that have entered the intertoto cup in previous years, they benefit at first from playing competetive games early, and have a good start to the league, but later in the season they tire and fade away, this happened to Fulham and West ham a few years ago if i remember correctly. Im not saying this will be the case with us but starting the season early could prove costly in future but we'll have to wait and see.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:45 pm

A.B. wrote:You know us playing games this early could work out well for us, and I say that because if we play games then we won't be as rusty when the Premiership starts, but then again it can also have a negative effect.....

You're right AB,

This has happened a few times in the past with teams playing in the inter-toto cup in their pre-season.

A few years ago the west ham side with ferdinand, di canio, lampard etc played in the inter-toto and then had a great start in the league coz they had a few competitive games under their belt.  But by about 10 league games in the team faded badly as they were knackered after not having a proper summer break. 

The same might not happen to us if Rafa beefs the squad up over the summer, but you never know...
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:46 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:

It could work either way, but traditionally it has a detrimental effect on the team. For example if you look at teams that have entered the intertoto cup in previous years, they benefit at first from playing competetive games early, and have a good start to the league, but later in the season they tire and fade away, this happened to Fulham and West ham a few years ago if i remember correctly. Im not saying this will be the case with us but starting the season early could prove costly in future but we'll have to wait and see.

:D

You obviously posted while i was still typing,

great minds...
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jymbojetset » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:47 pm

More I think about this, the better I think it could be (barring injuries).

We get to start our season with competive games instead of friendlies and should have some momentum come the 3rd round.

Plus look at this season - odds were against us all the way - yet we did it - REMEMBER THAT.

Remember also we are Liverpool not Chelski, Mancs, :censored:, Bluenoses, we don't go whining to the press how hard done by we are. We stick together and come this time next year, we could be celebrating no 6! Remember "Make us dream"

If this is the only way we can prove (again) that we are the best, then so be it - bring it on!

PS Still p****d though about decision and agree with Dalglish, FA and UEFA could (and should) have sorted this ages ago.
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion