Troare first to be shown the exit door.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Fri May 19, 2006 1:49 pm

Traore may be first out of Anfield May 19 2006

By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

DJIMI TRAORE is set to be the first out of the Anfield exit door this summer as Liverpool seek suitable offers for the defender.

The Frenchman has failed to build on his triumphant Champions League campaign which saw him rewarded with anew contract last year.

Now the left-back has been told he can leave Liverpool for the right price.

Manager Rafa Benitez had high hopes Traore would acquire some consistency and erase some of the mistakes which blighted his career.

But the 26-year-old has been unable to claim aregular starting place this term, when he fell well behind John Arne Riise and Stephen Warnock in the pecking order.

The imminent arrival of Valencia full-back Fabio Aurelio will further relegate Traore, while his chances of forcing his way in at centre-half are dashed by the signings of long-term prospects Daniel Agger and Gabriel Paletta.

Benitez will be hoping to attract adecent fee for a player who's acquired vast European experience since joining Liverpool in 1999.

Fulham and Everton have made bids for the versatile defender in the past, although it remains to be seen if their interest will be revived.

Manchester City also made an enquiry for the left back towards the end of the season, but Stuart Pearce has limited funds and is understood to be unwilling to meet Benitez's valuation.

Bolton are another club who've been linked with Traore previously, and Sam Allardyce is reported to have more money at his disposal this summer.

Numerous Liverpool players are currently being linked with moves out of the club, but as so often in the past, shifting those who are surplus to requirements is often as difficult as recruiting new faces.

While players such as Jan Kromkamp and, more surprisingly, Harry Kewell are also regularly being touted as possible departures, Benitez will be assessing all his transfer options before making such major decisions.

And he certainly won't be prepared to let players of such calibre leave on the cheap.

The futures of many current stars will become clearer after the World Cup, particularly if they impress and attract substantial offers.

Much depends on whether Benitez can secure his top transfer targets, and how much wheeling and dealing will be required to bring them to the club, before he makes a final decision on who to let go.

Not suprised really weve been saying he should go for the last few seasons now.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Fri May 19, 2006 1:52 pm

Thought at one time he might have been a good central defender but alas not to be

No hard feelings towards him and its probably best for his career and good luck  :)
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Red Baron » Fri May 19, 2006 1:53 pm

HIP HIP HOORAY.
You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.Stuff you pay good money for later in llife
The Red Baron
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri May 19, 2006 1:55 pm

He had a decent season last season (apart from Burnley) and has terrific in the Champions League Final, altho this season he hasn't really been played as often and when he has been played he looked like the Traore of old which was branded "Bambi". It will be a shame to see him leave, but with new arrivals coming in he will be surplus to requirements.

Good luck Djimi, you weren't all bad, and thank you for spending eight years with us. I wish you all the best. :)
48-1119859832

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri May 19, 2006 1:57 pm

About funking time. Should have gone ages ago, but we didn't have anyone else. Good luck to him, but he won't be missed.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Fri May 19, 2006 1:58 pm

Good luck to him, not good enough to play for Liverpool at the end of the day, will do fine with one of the club's mentioned.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri May 19, 2006 2:18 pm

I have a question guys what are Paletta and Aurelio like? I cant lie and say Ive seen them play, obviously Rafa rates them what will they add to the team?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Fri May 19, 2006 2:20 pm

Never really delivered on what some of his performances had promised and was frustratingly one of the most inconsistent players within the squad. As has been said by some people - when on the pitch there were times when he looked as though he'd never kicked a ball before. :D  (Possibly Aldo on Radio City??) I believe his ideal level is in the lower reaches of the premiership or more than likely he'd be more suited to a return to french footy - who knows maybe we could con GH into signing him for a second time. :laugh: :laugh:
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Fri May 19, 2006 2:21 pm

0asis wrote:He had a decent season last season (apart from Burnley) and has terrific in the Champions League Final

Good luck Djimi, you weren't all bad, and thank you for spending eight years with us. I wish you all the best. :)

I agree with wishing Djimi well.  He always gave 100% (sometimes more) and made some important last ditch tackles.

I can't agree regarding the Champions League Final though.  He looked like a rabbit in headlights to me, gave the ball away at every opportunity too, especially near the start.  He simply isn't good enough.  He can make some superb sliding tackles and he's athletic, but defenders can't be accident prone, which, unfortunately, Djimi is.  I'll be throwing a party if/when he goes.
:nod
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby Paul C » Fri May 19, 2006 2:23 pm

Not a great loss really, he stepped up his game last season but if were looking to challenge for the title it's players like Traore that have to be sacrificed.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Fri May 19, 2006 2:24 pm

Ciggy wrote:I have a question guys what are Paletta and Aurelio like? I cant lie and say Ive seen them play, obviously Rafa rates them what will they add to the team?

I can't shed any light on Paletta CIGGY, but the little i've seen of Aurelio on sky he does look pretty good. I think he was a part of Rafa's Uefa cup winning squad at Valencia but being rotated with Carboni who was about 39 at the time. Rafa will obviously have a good idea of what he can do and for free i think he may turn out to be a good acquisition.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri May 19, 2006 2:27 pm

Aurelio looks like a solid player, I've seen some of him in Spain and I can't remember obvious faults. Paletta is a mystery though.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 73-1141222089 » Fri May 19, 2006 2:58 pm

Can't say I'll miss him overmuch...... He always used to put my heart in my mouth when he was on the pitch.... If nothing else, his departure would be good for the state of my health......

Having said that... he always tried and I've got to give him credit for that..... as others here have clearly pointed out.... he simply wasn't good enuff for us...... good luck and thanks Djimi... :D
73-1141222089

Postby Dundalk » Fri May 19, 2006 3:09 pm

Bye Djimi, not that sad a day for the clib but he did a job for us but never really looked up the pace of this quality of football.

He leaves with a Champions League medal around his neck, thanks Djimi and all the best
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PCG77 » Fri May 19, 2006 3:09 pm

Seems like a lovely guy. Not that I have spoke to him much kicking back here in Australia. But, his distribution and decision making has always been questionable. Even if he does not leave. He will spend the majority of the year playing as a reserve. Best of luck at a new club...
PCG77

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion