Transfer worries - Patience is not always a virtue

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:59 pm

aCe' wrote:Whaaatt ??? im pretty sure you havnt been watching any serieA matches recently mate...heres some stats..
Trezeguet
2003: 35 starts (28 goals)
2004: 23 starts (14 goals)
2005 last season : 38 starts (30 goals)...
his strike partner Zlatan started 37 and only managed 10..trezeguet was the main reason they won that serieA last seaon mate....clinical finishing !
And BTW... our very own crouch....sole striker next season if no new face comes in ...
49 starts : 13 goals.....in the league he only managed 8 !
  ???

Defo don't get to see too much Serie A over here, mate, so you've got me there.  Those are impressive enough numbers, no question, but I wonder, how would he fit in in the Premiership?  Serie A is a quality league but scoring for fun in Italy does not necessarily mean he'd do the business for us. 

At 13 million quid that's a gamble I wouldn't be prepared to take.  Besides, I think Roma want him so bad that they'll keep bumping the bids up and Rafa will not throw his hat in under those circumstances.  Remember, he refused to pay silly money for Owen...a proven Premiership talent with a strong Liverpool connection.

As for Crouch, how is he our only striker?  What do you consider Fowler, Bellamy and Pongolle to be?  He's certainly our most recognized target man but that's not the same thing.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:27 pm

let me ask you this....if you were in rafa's shoes.... would you spend 12 mill on alves?...12 mill on Kuyt ? or 13 mill on trezeguet ? ....besides...roma are pretty screwed financially...i was surprised they even made that 13 mill bid...i think thats goin to be their only deal in the next few years if it goes through....and wouldnt you rather join liverpool than roma if you were trezeguet ?! with all the corruption shyt in italy and all ?! I think its time liverpool splash their cash on a proven striker...kuyt isnt one, and at 12 mill, i dnt wanna see him in a liverpool shirt !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:50 pm

aCe' wrote:let me ask you this....if you were in rafa's shoes.... would you spend 12 mill on alves?...12 mill on Kuyt ? or 13 mill on trezeguet ? ....besides...roma are pretty screwed financially...i was surprised they even made that 13 mill bid...i think thats goin to be their only deal in the next few years if it goes through....and wouldnt you rather join liverpool than roma if you were trezeguet ?! with all the corruption shyt in italy and all ?! I think its time liverpool splash their cash on a proven striker...kuyt isnt one, and at 12 mill, i dnt wanna see him in a liverpool shirt !

Personally, I wouldn't spend 10 million on Kuyt let alone 12.  I don't think he's as bad as some suggest but I don't think he's worth that kind of money TBH. 

As for Alves, I have not seen enough of him to say but Rafa rates him highly and that makes me think he's worth it (besides Sabre vouches for him  :D ).  Ten million pounds on some never-heard-of-him kid named Alonso a few seasons back sounded like folly at the time but look how that turned out?  :D   When it comes to signing players from La Liga, in Rafa I trust.  So, 12 million on Alves?  I think I'd do it at a stretch.

Now, back to Trezeguet.  I'm still not convinced he'd do the business in England.  It's a fast, physical league.  Is he up for the pace and especially the contact?  What type of service does he thrive on and would our side provide it?  I don't know.  What I do know is that, for us given our limited transfer kitty, 13 million is very steep for a striker that is not proven in England...especially one that would command the wages he would. 

You obviously think he'd be worth the money and that's fair enough.  If it was me with 12-13 million burning a hole in my pocket to spend on Liverpool, though, I'd be inclined to use it to get Alves, out of the 3 you've mentioned.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby red37 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:58 pm

aCe' wrote:let me ask you this....if you were in rafa's shoes.... would you spend 12 mill on alves?...12 mill on Kuyt ? or 13 mill on trezeguet ? ....

or 8-10 million on a player that wasnt fully given a real go at it, though nonetheless looked very capable. and wants to come back?

id take anelka if it were me.

but while were at it, id rather see right-midfield covered first before sacrificing what little there is on another striker. when clearly that would be to the detriment of gerrard. cos garcia aint going to make a half decent winger. better him up front.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:07 am

yea me too....i'd rather have garcia as a second striker ! but still...if that was to happen why would we be signing alves again ?! i think garcia will be huge as a second striker as we saw for spain...but i still think that a new striker should be signed before a right midfielder is ! another thing... is aurelio going to be our no.1 left back or is riise still our no.1 ?
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:10 am

one of you guys should start a new topic "gerrard wants england captaincy" !

He said:
"Obviously I'd love to captain the country. There is no better feeling than leading the country out but that's up to Steve McClaren."
"It's his decision and there are a lot of candidates out there that would do a fantastic job as well as myself."
"It is the kind of thing every player dreams about. But I am not the kind of player to talk about it and try and get it that way."
"If it comes my way then great. If not, whoever gets the job will have my full support."

check out bbc sport for more !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:14 am

After my blatant failure in predicting Morientes success in Liverpool, I don't feel anymore confident to make bets on the adaptation of players. Not sure if it's the physicallity, or the pace, or the language, or the food, but where as I thought Morientes would do it, I never thought players like Ex Racing Benayoun or Ex Celta Mido would be decent in England, and at some extent, they have been.

But if Trezeguet isn't capable of making it, I can't think of many who could. If Trezeguet can't do it then I'd only dare to predict Etoo would be a success in England in the whole Spanish league. Not Ronaldo, not Raul, not Torres, not the unknown bet Agüero have more warranties of success than this man has.

Spanish league is as pacy as the English one, and the games are nicer to watch than in Italy. But tryumphing in Italy is a warranty of success, they won't give you a breath if you're a striker. People say that that league is boring, but it's more accurate to say that it's tactically hard and full of rigour. You never know in football but a player succesful in Italy you can bring  him to any league. Of course some might mention Crespo hasn't shined, but then his coach is an incompetent.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:19 am

spot on sabre...good post.....! was going to say all that you have said when badbob questioned trezeguet being a decent signing...but.....well said !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:21 am

I was wrong before, and BadBob knows a lot, so we'd better pay attention to what he's saying too :)
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:28 am

Pennant news :

Steve Bruce: “There was a bid of three point five million which was turned down two or three weeks ago. We paid near enough three million for him and we owe Arsenal 25 per cent of any sell-on so we're certainly not going to be selling him for three point five million, that's for sure. We all know every footballer has got his price, but, at the moment, Liverpool's bid has not been accepted.”

Apparently, they want 8 million for him !
Overpriced imo....but i rate him highly and anything around 5 mill would be a bargain !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:32 am

Steve Bruce: “There was a bid of three point five million which was turned down two or three weeks ago. We paid near enough three million for him and we owe Arsenal 25 per cent of any sell-on so we're certainly not going to be selling him for three point five million, that's for sure. We all know every footballer has got his price, but, at the moment, Liverpool's bid has not been accepted.”

Answering to myself, we all know too that relegated teams are not in a position to make big money demands neither  :D
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:37 am

he should try to pressure the board into selling him ! im sure he'd fancy a move to liverpool ! wouldnt he ?!
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:39 am

What about Yakubu off middlesboro? If we are going to pay £12million for a player he would be my choice. Big ,strong, good in the air and can play target man or striker. Scored 19 goals last season and has the happy knack of scoring against all the big sides(except us) Last season he scored against Chelsea,Mancs,Arsenal and Spurs. He looks a big game player is quite mobile and doesnt fall over like Heskey.
account deleted by request

Postby Effes » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:37 am

Get Anelka.

Of all the strikers mentioned I think he is the safest bet and I'd rather pay £7M for Anelka than £10M/£12M for Trez/Yakubu/Kuyt.

Then we'd have enough to cough up £5M for Pennant.

Then we'd have all the "gaps" filled and concentrate getting the squad fit and ready for the start of the season.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:26 am

In the Telegraph today:

Benitez, who has already added Craig Bellamy, Mark Gonzalez, Fabio Aurelio and Gabriel Paletta to his squad this summer, is expected to end his long search for an attacking right-sided midfielder by signing Jermaine Pennant from Birmingham before the end of the week. The Liverpool manager has turned his attention to the former Arsenal player after refusing to meet Sevilla's £10 million asking price for Brazilian Daniel Alves.

"This week we hope to do one, maybe two, signings," Benitez said. "There has been no progress on Alves because for me the price is too high."
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion