gerrard
alonso

babel

crouch
torres

4-3-1-2
maypaxvobiscum

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:32 pm

whats up with everybody playing Arbeloa? I know he didn't play terrible against villa but it wasn't like he light the world on fire either. Riise had one of the best pre-seasons out of anybody on the team after Gerrard, and he was at Left Back for I think all those games then starts the season in midfield.  Are people picking him to keep riise fresh for chelsea or because you think Arbeloa is the better option?
JoeTerp

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:38 pm

Are people picking him to keep riise fresh for chelsea or because you think Arbeloa is the better option?

Arbeloa is the better option. Riise has never ever convinced me at LB . I do however rate him at LM.

ps lets not turn this into a Riise thread , we already have one.
Last edited by woof woof ! on Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Rafa D » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:02 pm

I too feel more comfortable with Arbeloa at the left back slot, namely because he can actually defend.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:57 pm

Didn't defend Joe Cole to well :D   :(   :(
JoeTerp

Postby Dutchsky » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:14 pm

Kuyt will be important :)
Dutchsky

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:42 pm

JoeTerp wrote:Didn't defend Joe Cole to well :D   :(   :(

That's 'cos he was at rightback - he's sh*t there. :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kunilson » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:43 pm

dont see why we shouldnt win here.

would like to rest Gerrard, not that he needs it yet but id like to see momo start as he is just what we need in euro aways (as he proved in barcelona) and the new signings all play a part in the match for confidence boosting. with babbel to start.

and that kewell guy to start aswell, he's new right? :;):

2-0 to the redmen
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:08 pm

Dutchsky wrote:Kuyt will be important :)

I think Rafa has to be fair to Crouchy and see how him and Torres play together in a competitive match.  Kuyt and Torres were good looked dangerous at times and should/could have gotten more/better service, but neither of them scored, and Kuyts forcing of an own goal is not something that I would want to count on.  plus Kuyt was :censored: in Europe last season, he didn't score until the final minute of the final.
JoeTerp

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:49 pm

I'm not sure why people are fixating on Riise's defensive abilities (or lack of) - to me this is the ideal kind of game for him. We should have them pinned right back, leaving JAR to bomb forward, get involved and fire at will. It's not like he's going to be up against the world's finest right wingers.

He looked good in pre-season, he thrives in Europe... no brainer for me. If we can get a couple of goals first half, maybe swap him out for Arbeloa second half, but it shouldn't be too much of a consideration. No real need to think too defensively in this tie - I can see us being 4 or 5 ahead on aggregate after both legs.

People talk about there being no easy away ties in Europe, but in fairness, we shouldn't have too many problems. I have a feeling Gerrard will start, but again with a view to killing the tie off early, and subbing him early second half. It's always a better idea to play a stronger side in the first leg, and give yourself more options second time around. I know Chelsea's coming up, but it's a Sunday game, Toulouse is an early kick off, and it's early season. No real need to rotate for freshness's sake.

Oh, and obviously - bring on the Crouch. I hope he nabs a couple too, to really make things interesting up front.
ivor_the_injun

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:18 pm

JoeTerp wrote:I really want this to be a "one" legged affair, like PSV last year only 4-0 instead of 3.  Can't see Pennant playing after his temper tantrum, and would hope for Babel to start on the left.
                   Reina
Finnan    Carra     Agger   Riise
Yossi    Gerrard    Alonso   Babel
            Torres    Crouch
Subs: Idjante, Arbeloa, Mascherano, Pennant, Kewell, Kuyt, Voronin,

After giving it more thought and reading some news. I would swap Alonso and Mascherano, and not even bring Pennant, putting El Zhar on the bench in his place, and would really look to bringing him on for the last 20 if we are up 2 already.  I feel bad for Momo, but I see him starting in the home leg to make sure they don't score, maybe even partnering with Lucas if we win by enough tommorow (but I would still keep it strong at the back with no Paletta  :D  )
JoeTerp

Postby bigmick » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:20 pm

Well it's Woof for manager for me, because if we must rotate (and let's face it after one game we most certainly musn't but no doubt we will) then his team works for me.

I've said it a couple of times already that those who are defending the "put all the names in a hat and pull eleven out" approach of the last couple of seasons are defending an old and discarded mantra. Saturday proved Rafa has learnt his lesson eventually and we approached the game in a totally different way to the opening fixture of last season. Even in interviews, while not quite saying that he made a nonsense of it last season there is at least an acceptance of the obvious, namely that you need to field a team which is at least sensible if you expect to win.

With that in mind, I hope we continue on the road to Damascus here. The Home game against Macabi Haifa last season did us significant damage with our selectorial silliness, and I hope we approach this one with a really top side out. I hope we don't even hear whispers of the Lee Peltiers, the Gabriel Pallettas and the Jack Hobbs', and that we have a team which very closely resembles the one which played on Saturday. I hope we don't lose sight of the fact that while it is an opportunity to "rest" players, it's equally an opportunity to build on both the fitness levels and the mutual understandings we have begun on Saturday.

Rafa has started well. We have a big game against Chelsea at the weekend and now is not the time to blink and change tack. Possibly Mascherano for Pennant, Benayoun for Arbeloa (with Riise moving back) and Crouch for Kuyt shouldn't be too disruptive. We could always surprise the feck out of them and pick the same team which started on Saturday, mind you I'm probably just being silly.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TFC » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:24 pm

:D  Bonjour  :D

I have a big respect for you coz you are the best supporters in the world.
But You really really make me laugh... thank you guys
Do you really trust that you will come in our city and win 3-0, 4-0 or even a draw???
Tomorow in front of your tv, you will understand what i mean.
When our squad play against a great team as Lyon (we beat them 2-0 last year and 1-0 four days ago).. it's like a great fiesta in the Stadium and our players are unrecognizable !!!
To Play against Liverpool, one of the greatest team in Europe with Barcelona or Milano, will be for us, not a fiesta but a dream day.... it will be very funny  :eyebrow
TFC

Postby kunilson » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:28 pm

TFC wrote: :D  Bonjour  :D

I have a big respect for you coz you are the best supporters in the world.
But You really really make me laugh... thank you guys
Do you really trust that you will come in our city and win 3-0, 4-0 or even a draw???
Tomorow in front of your tv, you will understand what i mean.
When our squad play against a great team as Lyon (we beat them 2-0 last year and 1-0 four days ago).. it's like a great fiesta in the Stadium and our players are unrecognizable !!!
To Play against Liverpool, one of the greatest team in Europe with Barcelona or Milano, will be for us, not a fiesta but a dream day.... it will be very funny  :eyebrow

glad you are confident, but we have the experience in Europe to back up our own confidence too.....this ain't gonna be like playing Lyon who you play every season....we are Liverpool.

watch us score.  :laugh:
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:16 pm

i HAD this feeling some frenchie will come onto this forum and start posting.
just like that marseille fan. now a toulouse one. :D
maypaxvobiscum

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion