TOTTENHAM VS LIVERPOOL - Wed 12/11/08 19:45. whl, carling cup r4

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:42 pm

To be honest, at 3-0 I stopped caring and I think that tells the story. It was the worst defensive display I can remember from a Liverpool team in years. When was the last time we conceded 4 in a game? I presume it was under Houllier when we lost 4-0 at Old Trafford.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:48 pm

I hate November  :veryangry
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:51 pm

stmichael wrote:To be honest, at 3-0 I stopped caring and I think that tells the story. It was the worst defensive display I can remember from a Liverpool team in years. When was the last time we conceded 4 in a game? I presume it was under Houllier when we lost 4-0 at Old Trafford.

6-3 to Arsenal year before last .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:13 pm

Lat night highlighted what a lot have known for a long time!
We have a great first team who are capable of beating anyone on their day.We have a few squad/fringe players who are capable of coming in and doing a job.For example with the wins against Chelsea and UTD.But we do not have the luxury where we can make wholesale changes to the team and expect to be good enough.Simply because our squad is way too big but the vast majority of them are nowhere near good enough and never will be!

As for the reserves,there are one or two that may make the grade and break into the first team but no more than that.It seems the academy is more of a tolerated tradition these days than an actual breeding ground for future stars.TBH theres no one there that will ever be a Carra or a Gerrard!I think the whole system needs a shake up and our squad needs whittled down bigtime with more quality being given preferance to quantity!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:59 pm

Babel put in two better corners last night than Gerrard has in five years.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:35 pm

I've been getting jip from Spurs fans since late last night and all day today....and there's no excusable response to it. Carling Cup or not, that result and performance was a sham !
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:57 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:I've been getting jip from Spurs fans since late last night and all day today....and there's no excusable response to it. Carling Cup or not, that result and performance was a sham !

F.uck sake did you see what team we put out
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:08 pm

Nope I didn't - I was too busy ironing :)
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:54 am

There you go then
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:31 am

Owzat wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:I must admit I am not at all bothered with the performance or result of this match. If we won great, this thread would be shorter but we lost so again more positives. Yes the players should have performed better but lets be honest, as John Craig put it, it was a makeshift squad for a poor cup competition. Win or lose, its a joke of a cup for the top half of the premiership as the goals are set higher than winning a cup with three handles ! That in itself is wrong !

I find the attitude of people happy to accept defeat simply because "it's only a mickey mouse cup" disgraceful, if you're happy to lose then there's a club tailor made for you not too far from Anfield. Not picking on you, just happens to be one of the first I've come across not commenting on the match, do us all a favour people who don't care about this competition and feck off out of the thread instead of repeating the sentiment. You're not interested, stay out of the thread.

Easy enough concept, we don't need to hear you justifying the fact that you only support Liverpool FC when it suits you

Fair enough point. But then again, how are we expected to show some kind of respect to this competition when none is shown by our manager and obviously, our players? I admire the supporters who showed up at spurs as they are willing to pay the price to see a second string team play. The players gave the same respect to this game as the manager did, so isnt it fair that I share the same kind of respect? or do I have to be a drone?
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:04 am

Kharhaz wrote:The players gave the same respect to this game as the manager did

I`m not sure about that mate, I cant remember seeing Rafa as disconsolate as last night and dare I say embarrassed as last night and I dont think he`ll forgive some of the defending on show.
And bare in mind there were full international players right though the side, more than spurs. The back four were all full internationals with a fair amount caps between them.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:17 am

Judging by  rafa's look after the game, he was definitely embarrassed and frustrated. Maybe Dossena won't be staying for long after all....and so is Degen .....
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:07 am

stmichael wrote:Babel put in two better corners last night than Gerrard has in five years.

doesnt mean he is any good.

2 good corners in 90 mins, the rest of his performance was his usual mix of lack of control and running into defenders.

Surely he knows by now if he is surrounded by 3 defenders he needs to pass the ball and retain possession. He never does he tries to use his limited skill to beat them all and hands possesion back to the oppo.

He needs to have a look at Reira, whos decision making is excellent especially when deciding when to give and when to go.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby roberto green » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:11 pm

If you ever wondered what the difference was in the class players we have and these average players (some of which arn't even that) you only had to look at this game,Benetez was thinking we was another Arsenal with our super kids but was sorely embarrassed and left with egg on his face and i know it was only a lesser cup but i really think Benitez mind would of been made up about certain players after this game.
When Alonso come on it was like a ray of sunshine and his quality shun instantly,how we could of been without him if juventus would of increased there bid is mind blowing he has been our best player this season and i have seen reports this morning saying Aston Villa are fighting to keep Barry in January and all i can say is i hope it's not from us cos we deffo don't need him and he would be a total waste of money considering how weak we are in other areas.
Looking to that window if we could get Stephen Warnock back on the cheap we should try to do it.I have never minded the influx of foreigners in our side and as long as they are good enough it doesn't matter what nationality they are but their comes a time and place when you need a bit of passion and honesty in the team and that's why i think we need a few more British players back in the squad.

I'm mot going to say who we need to get rid of cos that's plainly obvious between everyone on this site hopefully from this game Benitez has learned a lot because we all have.
roberto green

Postby Reg » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:14 pm

I´ve wanted to post one more comment about this game for a few days and it still needs saying:

The team we put out there was a good side, they were more than capable of coming away with a 0-0 draw or even a 1-0 win. There was absolutely no need for them to get hammered.
I only saw highlights but the defense was ripped apart and people were runnning parallel with the ball and not getting stuck in. All players on the pitch are pushing for first team places and non of them stood out. What an opportunity Lucas had to grab the midfield by the scruff of the neck and make it his own, or the two full backs to show they can work as a unit. Sami impersonated a cart horse, the goalie looked as though he´d never played with the back 4 before. It wasnt a team, it was 11 players.

Rafa and Sammy should be very disappointed in that performance, They had their chance to shine and they blew it, thats worrying. The reserve team coach no doubt felt extremely uneasy that night.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion