TOTTENHAM VS LIVERPOOL - Wed 12/11/08 19:45. whl, carling cup r4

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Espionage » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:06 am

Had an exam this morning and one tomorrow morning. Glad in some respects as I really should be studying right now. Sad to see us fall out of the competition because it just sucks for our fringe players because they wont get any games.

The consensus is that Dossena had a shocker i see. Hard to see how the guy has gone so wrong. The link here says that it could have been as high as 8m

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpo....0925611
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:10 am

Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:14 am

Least said about this game the better i think . I've made my mind up about Dossena and and Deggen though .  ???  :;):
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:35 am

degen should be given more chances. i thought attacking wise he was good. dossena is rubbish. what a waste of money. ive never seen newkit so unanimous in their critical opinion of any player. usually there'll be good points but this is beyond help.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:41 am

Spartan1985 wrote:Meh its the Carliing cup. Tottenham put far more stock into it than we do. Lets concentrate on the comps that matter!

thats not the point. those players who were playing were fringe players given the chance to impress after so long and they looked like they didnt have a care in the world. im sure our youngsters like Darby, Hamill, Pacheco,etc would have at least shown more desire. they just couldnt be bothered by the looks of it. its as if rafa was forcing them to play in a match they didnt wanna be a part of.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby aCe' » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:53 am

aCe' wrote:is it just me or does it seem like we have absolutely no one in the middle of the park who can actually hold the ball and have any sort of composure or creativity when on the ball ?! Plessis, Elzhar, Lucas and Babel... if they ALL dont step up in this game this could turn out not so pleasant looking at their lineup...
Pavlyuchenko and Babel are the players to be watched in this game imo... Hope Torres gets any sort of decent service from somewhere...

HEH.... told ya so u bunch of :censored: !
Our back4 were all awful in the 1st half and our forwards did very little throughout but most importantly imo our midfielders didnt seem like doing anything at either end until Alonso came on... they were literally all over the place.. Elzhar and Babel coming through the middle and Lucas running around like a headless chicken..Plessis less said the better..
Atleast Degen tried to cover that whole right flank Dossena did was absolutely awful last night and how he stayed on the pitch for the full 90sum minutes is beyond me...
If we were gonna play first team players who werrent getting enough matches surely the likes of Mascherano and Pennant should have started yesterday...
Anyways not too bothered about being out of this one but the standard of football we were at yesterday was shocking to say the least !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:55 am

No pennant shouldn't of started he should of been brought on as a sub, right?
SupitsJonF

Postby aCe' » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:57 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:degen should be given more chances. i thought attacking wise he was good. dossena is rubbish. what a waste of money. ive never seen newkit so unanimous in their critical opinion of any player. usually there'll be good points but this is beyond help.

yea i also thought Degen was alrightish going forward.... nowhere as bad as dossena who didnt do anything at either end and was probably at fault for atleast 2 of their goals...
Anyways wouldnt mind seeing more of Degen if hes not out injured again he was limping wen he came off the little fcker doesnt seem like he can go a game without gettin injured...
He should have scored when he injured Gomez though it was an excellent ball in and his run was even better...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:59 am

SupitsJonF wrote:No pennant shouldn't of started he should of been brought on as a sub, right?

he wasnt on the bench i get ur point...
he should have started though it was men against boys out there !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:09 am

Kharhaz wrote:I must admit I am not at all bothered with the performance or result of this match. If we won great, this thread would be shorter but we lost so again more positives. Yes the players should have performed better but lets be honest, as John Craig put it, it was a makeshift squad for a poor cup competition. Win or lose, its a joke of a cup for the top half of the premiership as the goals are set higher than winning a cup with three handles ! That in itself is wrong !

I find the attitude of people happy to accept defeat simply because "it's only a mickey mouse cup" disgraceful, if you're happy to lose then there's a club tailor made for you not too far from Anfield. Not picking on you, just happens to be one of the first I've come across not commenting on the match, do us all a favour people who don't care about this competition and feck off out of the thread instead of repeating the sentiment. You're not interested, stay out of the thread.

Easy enough concept, we don't need to hear you justifying the fact that you only support Liverpool FC when it suits you
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Johnny Boy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:12 am

I agree there are more important trophies, but that still doesn't excuse the performance.
At the end of the day I would rather win the Carling Cup than win nothing.
First half nobody looked interested at all, Torres albeit not match fit lost the ball every time it was played into him.

I agree with the other comments about our fullbacks, personally feel this is still our weakness and Rafa hasn't really got to grips with the problem at all.

I can just about bear Degan, although he looks injury prone, but £7m for Dossena when we are short of cash is just a total waste of money.
Insua is no worse than him.
Last edited by Johnny Boy on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby SupitsJonF » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:12 am

aCe' wrote:
SupitsJonF wrote:No pennant shouldn't of started he should of been brought on as a sub, right?

:D .

Agreed though, could of used someone who could actually do something.  Anything really.
SupitsJonF

Postby Johnny Boy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:15 am

Why didn't we have Pacheco or Nemeth on the bench?
Someone with some hunger and actually wanting to play last night.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby Bam » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:17 am

Johnny Boy wrote:Why didn't we have Pacheco or Nemeth on the bench?
Someone with some hunger and actually wanting to play last night.

Good question Johnny Boy.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:21 am

aCe' wrote:

The team selection was godawful, neither kids nor an XI looked capable of winning. Those who think we can sell off our fringe players and bring in quality should consider THAT was our reserves and how bad were they? OK spudz probably are the best side outside the top four, who knows how Ramos did so little with them, and we won't play them away every week. BUT if Plessis, Lucas, Degen and N'Gog are required to play much then those writing off this cup should write off the title as well. We won't get much for them, we won't get much with them.

So what was wrong with the XI? Nothing much on paper - Decent CBs, but two FBs who have yet to prove they were Liverpool quality (Degen through lack of chance) The middle was key for me, Rafa should have put Alonso alongside Lucas or Plessis, and with Babel, N'Gog and El Zhar in there we were always going to struggle to win. There was nothing on the bench, as little as I rate Pennant he should have played (if fit) I'd have used Babel on the bench, there wasn't one single attacking option worth bringing on with only midfielders and defenders our outfield options.

Any which way the side should still have avoided conceding three late first half goals, but for that we might have conjured up a result. This is only the THIRD game under Rafa we've conceded 4+ goals, compared to 22 games where we've scored 4+. In 259 games conceding four in a game just three times is a good record and a shame we couldn't maintain it at just two. Regardless whether the cup is worth winning, the result still counts against Liverpool FC. Perhaps the worst result of the night was Chelsea losing on penalties to Burnley, a few extra fixtures might have tested them more than extra time and penalties. But how typical of recent fixture scheduling that we play away to spudz and then early away to Bolton. The mancs, Arsenal and Chelsea all had home Carling Cup ties.

Wonder if the FA will throw the book at Drogba for throwing the coin back....................
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion