Torres master of the universe (world) - Free kick expert

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SupitsJonF » Thu May 22, 2008 7:05 pm

Owzat wrote:
SundanceKid wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:A gimmick designed to lure American folk towards 'soccer'.

And what's wrong with that?

What's right with it? When are people going to learn the yanks aren't suddenly going to be interested in 'soccer' en masse? The missionary Beckham is deluded if he thinks yanks will flood to games to watch him, just face it USA is not going to be a big 'soccer' playing country just as India, Sri Lanka, Australia and Pakistan aren't. They got the World Cup in 1994 and their football league is still a joke, if the World Cup can't inspire the yanks then what chance a poxy gimmick will?

Why do people persist with all these gimmicks? Because they want millions of yanks pumping money into the sport.

Why will it fail? Because the yanks have NFL, NHL and glorified rounders. In the same way it wouldn't work in India because they're nutty about cricket. You will probably get a few increases in popularity, but it's competing with well established if less global sports.

So I say why bother? Obviously the intention is to put out promotional events for the one-off $$$$$ payouts. If it weren't financially viable ie ran at a loss, then they wouldn't bother. And of course it is something different for TV who will doubtless have some kind of audience for this non-event.

Ok, but some people do like football in America.  And the event is not only to start interesting people but also for the fans they have now. 

And actually, most of the LA galazy games have been sold out.  Thats 27,000 people, which isn't that bad.  Anfield is only around 45,000, so compared to the middle table clubs the Galaxy is doing fine on fan base.  And with them playing Chelsea over the summer that will also add to the fan base.

They aren't trying to make it as big as it is in Europe, just to expand on it a little.  Honestly, I don't know why you have such a problem with it.  Come in 2010 everyone in America will be a temporary fan anyways.
SupitsJonF

Postby SundanceKid » Fri May 23, 2008 1:00 am

Number 9 wrote:Im not happy about Torres going,Rafa should send Harry Kewell instead,he could be the ball cause hes good for fu'ck all else!

Actually I was checking the roster and Harry either already did this, or is doing it again. Also saw they were negotiating with Stevie G.

Don't care about you folk's opinions, this is going to be one of the few chances I'll ever see my beloved LFC players, so I'm going to appreciate it.

I'm going to sing my lungs out, hope I won't be the only one or I'd look foolish
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby SupitsJonF » Fri May 23, 2008 1:52 am

SundanceKid wrote:
Number 9 wrote:Im not happy about Torres going,Rafa should send Harry Kewell instead,he could be the ball cause hes good for fu'ck all else!

Actually I was checking the roster and Harry either already did this, or is doing it again. Also saw they were negotiating with Stevie G.

Don't care about you folk's opinions, this is going to be one of the few chances I'll ever see my beloved LFC players, so I'm going to appreciate it.

I'm going to sing my lungs out, hope I won't be the only one or I'd look foolish

I want to go so badly, but airfare is ridiculous right now.  But to sing the Torres song would be a blast, maybe if $1,000 shows up on the street soon.
SupitsJonF

Postby SundanceKid » Fri May 23, 2008 5:37 am

SupitsJonF wrote:
SundanceKid wrote:

I want to go so badly, but airfare is ridiculous right now.  But to sing the Torres song would be a blast, maybe if $1,000 shows up on the street soon.

The closest I've been to the aura of LFC is when I saw Kenny Dalglish's son play for my local club. If you guys remember, Liverpool signed him in the mid 90's. I don't think he ever played though.

Yeah that's the only thing I have in relation to Liverpool haha. This is going to wild for me. If that son of a bitch cuts his hair before coming to Texas...
SundanceKid

Postby Toffeehater » Mon May 26, 2008 5:37 am

bavlondon wrote:I stopped reading that article when I saw the word "soccer".

:D
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon May 26, 2008 7:48 am

Am I the only one who read the part about the last time they held this event it was in SPAIN!!!!
JoeTerp

Postby SundanceKid » Mon May 26, 2008 10:58 am

JoeTerp wrote:Am I the only one who read the part about the last time they held this event it was in SPAIN!!!!

I saw that too. But you lot can't get over anything that has anything to do with America.
SundanceKid

Postby LFC2007 » Mon May 26, 2008 3:50 pm

SundanceKid wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:Am I the only one who read the part about the last time they held this event it was in SPAIN!!!!

I saw that too. But you lot can't get over anything that has anything to do with America.

???
LFC2007

Postby Sabre » Mon May 26, 2008 4:10 pm

???  ???

Maybe it's just me, but is it possible that someone perfectly brittish might pretend to be a numpty American in order to imply that our fan base is like that?

Just a random question eh?

As for our regular and respected North American:

Am I the only one who read the part about the last time they held this event it was in SPAIN!!!!

Not that I remember such a thing.

Let's see, we do that kind of things in half time sometimes, but we don't use stars, but the local youngsters (12-13 years). You put a sheet with numbers covering the goal, the more accurate is the shot, the more points you get.

That's what it gets closer to that, and using lads, but I can't recall an official event mate.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon May 26, 2008 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:56 pm

Went to the website to see that Marquez won it, but I didn't even see Fernando Torres' name listed on the site anywhere.

Did he even go?

Oh, David james won golden goal keeper or w/e.
SupitsJonF

Postby SundanceKid » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:18 pm

SupitsJonF wrote:Went to the website to see that Marquez won it, but I didn't even see Fernando Torres' name listed on the site anywhere.

Did he even go?

Oh, David james won golden goal keeper or w/e.

No haha. Torres didn't go. I'm glad I saved myself 800 dollars. Once  Spain won the Euro I knew for sure Torres wasn't going to spend his weekend in the fattest city in the world (Also my hometown haha) No way I would go to see the rest of those players. The stadium was full of Barcelona fans.

Did anyone see that Ronaldinho scored 0 points? Hahaha. I think Messi ended up the same way
SundanceKid

Postby RedRoots » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:48 am

Check out the videos of it on youtube, more pathetic than it actually sounds!
RedRoots

Postby Owzat » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:33 am

SundanceKid wrote:No haha. Torres didn't go. I'm glad I saved myself 800 dollars. Once 

$800 dollars?!?!?!?!? I trust most of that is cost of getting there, accommodation, a few beers and buying the bird you bed a slap-up meal (donner)....................
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SundanceKid » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:00 am

Owzat wrote:
SundanceKid wrote:No haha. Torres didn't go. I'm glad I saved myself 800 dollars. Once 

$800 dollars?!?!?!?!? I trust most of that is cost of getting there, accommodation, a few beers and buying the bird you bed a slap-up meal (donner)....................

They had other seats for much much cheaper, but they'd be pretty high up. And I wasn't going to cheap out on my chance to see Nando.

Even the 800 dollar tickets were horrible seats.
SundanceKid

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:03 am

SundanceKid wrote:
Owzat wrote:

They had other seats for much much cheaper, but they'd be pretty high up. And I wasn't going to cheap out on my chance to see Nando.

Even the 800 dollar tickets were horrible seats.

You're telling me people paid $800 to sit and watch a fat Ronaldinho hit pathetic free kicks into a wall that were laughing at him? I mean, I'd have stuck one past James if you'd asked me, and I'm not f*cking about either.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion