Torres, is there any fee big enough........ - To make us sell him?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SundanceKid » Tue May 27, 2008 12:28 pm

I don't think anyone was questioning whether he would be sold or not
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby Sabre » Tue May 27, 2008 12:38 pm

redsince2001 wrote:RAFA: TORRES IS NOT FOR SALE
Liverpoolfc.tv 27 May 2008
Rafa Benitez today gave short shrift to suggestions Fernando Torres could be allowed to leave the club.
The Anfield boss claimed there was no offer which would persuade the club to part company with its record signing and top scorer.

Benitez said: "The situation is very simple – we do not want to sell Fernando Torres.

"If a player does a good job for his team, like Fernando has for us, then it is sometimes easy for people to speculate that he might be wanted by other clubs.

"I am not aware of any offer being made by Chelsea but even if there was my answer would be the same – he is not for sale.

"We are trying to add to the spine of our team and that means keeping players like Fernando, Javier Mascherano, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher."

Earlier this morning, a club spokesman added: "The idea that Liverpool Football Club would consider selling Fernando Torres is absolute nonsense. Everyone at the club is fully focused on improving the squad ahead of the new season."

The fact that Benitez steps forward in Torres' case where as he didn't so in Alonso's case, indicate clearly that Alonso might be in his way out.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue May 27, 2008 1:10 pm

575M

It would be enough to clear the club debts, it would fund the new stadium, and would be enough for us to buy Cristiano Ronaldo.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Tue May 27, 2008 1:22 pm

Firstly , if torres wants to go ok , sell him . No 1 is bigger then the club , but now torres does not want to leave the club and we clearly do not want to sell . I think like mick has  said a fee of 100 million would tempt me and with that cash we can't buy another torres but we can buy a title winning sqaud . :nod
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Tue May 27, 2008 1:22 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:575M

It would be enough to clear the club debts, it would fund the new stadium, and would be enough for us to buy Cristiano Ronaldo.

:D
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Tue May 27, 2008 1:28 pm

s@int wrote:I think if we accepted £200million for Torres it would be a disaster for Liverpool. Not because we would lose Torres (although that would be bad) but because I think you would find Gerrard for one would be packing his own bags before Torres arrived in London.

It would be the final acceptance that we are no longer one of the big boys and next time we have a star player they will be looking around for a "big club" just like all the "selling clubs" players do.

:nod
Enough said really
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue May 27, 2008 1:32 pm

The problem with the question here is that the fee would set a precedent, which other top sides would be quick to exploit. We'd potentially need to reinvest a big chunk of that money just to replace Torres.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Reg » Tue May 27, 2008 1:55 pm

Good point Sabre ref Alonso.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue May 27, 2008 1:55 pm

We will never sell anyone to Chelsea, Man U, or Arsenal.

If they want someone, Voronin is available.

Torres is ours forever.

Besides, I'd say about 90 percent of LFC fans are in love with him anyway.

The remaining 10% are lesbians.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supernatural » Tue May 27, 2008 2:14 pm

i'm willing to do an exchange

we give em torres for ambromovich and his billions that sounds about the correct value to me.
supernatural

Postby tubby » Tue May 27, 2008 3:29 pm

Not sure if this has been posted:

Liverpool's Torres dismisses Barcelona interest
tribalfooball.com - May 27, 2008

Liverpool striker Fernando Torres has dismissed questions from Barcelona fans about moving to the Nou Camp.
"I'm very happy in Liverpool. I prefer to be free from these issues and focus on the Euros, which is the most important thing at this time. Then I'll go on vacation and return to Liverpool," Torres told Barca supporters.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 27, 2008 3:38 pm

Sabre wrote:
s@int wrote:I think if we accepted £200million for Torres it would be a disaster for Liverpool. Not because we would lose Torres (although that would be bad) but because I think you would find Gerrard for one would be packing his own bags before Torres arrived in London.

It would be the final acceptance that we are no longer one of the big boys and next time we have a star player they will be looking around for a "big club" just like all the "selling clubs" players do.

I understand the pride you talk about as a club. But, did prove something that Manchester United lost their captain Beckham against Real Madrid?

No, it just proved that they had an incredible offer over the table, good enough to get rid of a captain that came from the youth system, and they moved on with no chain reactions.

The mancs seem to get way with selling their big names by getting Ferguson to have a very public fall out with them first.
Beckham (the boot), Stam (the book), Van Nistelroy (the final).

Which is what makes me wonder about Alonso's fall out with Rafa ?

If I hear of Torres having a fall out with Rafa...... then I will worry! :D
account deleted by request

Postby taff » Tue May 27, 2008 5:16 pm

Ferguson admitted he got ot wrong with Stam but he seems to have been spot on with the other sales.

The best comparison could be Rush where we sold him which funded Barnes, Beardsley and Aldo and although Aldo wasnt as good he crtainly wasnt bad.  So the money would mean us being able to buy three world class players which to be honest would be tempting.

BUT to Chelsea no way as its the same league and would be an admittance of us being second tier.

But to Barcelona for Ronaldinho, Henry and Kaka then it would be tempting and probably comparable to the Rush deal, but deep down I would rather keep him and buy other world class players for us.

And to Bigmicks question of 500 million in todays market it would be no to be honest as Torres and a few additions in todays world could equal premiership and european success fairly regularly which would put us into huge earning potential
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby john1992 » Tue May 27, 2008 5:47 pm

i fecking hope torres doesnt leave because ive got his name n my new home shirt :D

but seriously i and many other liverpool fans are in love with the guy and would never want to see him leave

but i couldnt sell him for any amount hopefully the connection he has made with the club will see him playing for many years to come
john1992

Postby Effes » Tue May 27, 2008 8:12 pm

Toffeehater wrote:I think like mick has  said a fee of 100 million would tempt me and with that cash we can't buy another torres but we can buy a title winning sqaud . :nod

I cant do multi-posts:

But here you advocate selling for £100M
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion