Torres, is there any fee big enough........ - To make us sell him?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Tue May 27, 2008 2:20 am

s@int wrote:I think if we accepted £200million for Torres it would be a disaster for Liverpool. Not because we would lose Torres (although that would be bad) but because I think you would find Gerrard for one would be packing his own bags before Torres arrived in London.

It would be the final acceptance that we are no longer one of the big boys and next time we have a star player they will be looking around for a "big club" just like all the "selling clubs" players do.

The man makes an excellent point. :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby ConnO'var » Tue May 27, 2008 2:26 am

sugarcoatediceberg91 wrote:
Rush Job wrote:Drogbar, Anelka, SWP and 60mill.

that's Kuyt's deal sorted now what about Torres'?

:laugh:

:laugh:

Good 'un, John.
ConnO'var

Postby ConnO'var » Tue May 27, 2008 2:28 am

Bad Bob wrote:
s@int wrote:I think if we accepted £200million for Torres it would be a disaster for Liverpool. Not because we would lose Torres (although that would be bad) but because I think you would find Gerrard for one would be packing his own bags before Torres arrived in London.

It would be the final acceptance that we are no longer one of the big boys and next time we have a star player they will be looking around for a "big club" just like all the "selling clubs" players do.

Too right....

For me, the one and ONLY price is Hicks', Gillett's and Parry's head on a platter and the fuck out of our club.
ConnO'var

Postby SundanceKid » Tue May 27, 2008 2:29 am

If it's not enough to build a Premiership winning team, then I wouldn't.
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby Reg » Tue May 27, 2008 2:34 am

Bad Bob wrote:

That is the whole point. We have never sold a player because we needed to, only because we wanted to.

The only slight exception might be KK who we missed for at least the first 5 minutes of the following game whilst KD got over his first stitch and gradually wound himself up to operating temperature!    :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SundanceKid » Tue May 27, 2008 2:45 am

Just saw this post. The best post I've read since I've registered [Which happens to be a few weeks ago haha]
SundanceKid

Postby Owzat » Tue May 27, 2008 8:53 am

I wouldn't sell Torres, not because there isn't a fee big enough, but it took us long enough to sign a top quality striker and even with £100m would we be able to sign anyone nearly as good? The previous best two strikers came up through the ranks, that particular conveyor of talent seems to have halted. Since Gerrard, Carra, Owen and Fowler who has made the grade? How many strikers have we bought who weren't good enough? And the key question, with £100m or even £500m who would sell us THEIR top quality striker?!?! We'd need one, no two ways about it.

It's all well and good thinking how we could spend the rest of the fee, but the main problem would be replacing Torres. All top clubs say they wouldn't sell their best player for all the tea in Chinnor, not because they don't want the money or couldn't use it to strengthen the squad, but because their best player is hard to replace and they know it. We might well get Berbatov for £30m or £40m but who would rather have Berbatov over Torres? Personally I'd rather have both.

And when did we start signing big names with a view to profit making? I thought we did it to acquire quality players with a view to winning trophies, mainly the league. I doubt we'd get an offer over £50m so there's no point spending money in theory that we don't have, and if we got £50m that might buy us Berbatov and one other quality player. That's not nearly as tempting as it might sound at first
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue May 27, 2008 9:09 am

Well at least Hicks has put that to bed so we can all stop talking nonsense now before the talk moves onto Gerrard again.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Tue May 27, 2008 9:23 am

we NEVER sell our best players ........ that list includes torres,carra,gerrard ! ........ others or expendable
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Tue May 27, 2008 9:26 am

looking at it rationally, with torres as an asset of the company, the value he brings to the performance of the company, the effect he has on other assets of the company and the people that enjoy the company brand.... no price is big enough. his value to the club *at the moment* is beyond price. despite the fact that we had a distinctly average season there is no denying that his very presence has generated a wave of optimism amongst other players and supporters alike. if he goes then so do the good feelings and as saint says, so does the trust that other players will have in the club.

another vital point is this; people are saying that we could use anywhere from 60 to 100 million to build a title challenging team. i think that you have to take into account that one of the teams we would be challenging for the title are already a massively strong team who would have the addition of one of the best strikers in the world. chelsea with torres is frightening.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Tue May 27, 2008 9:52 am

NO WAY NEVER...F'UCK OFF CHELSEA!

Torres is priceless,he has been awesome this season.Many thought it would take him a while to adapt.If he had hit 15 goals people would have overlooked it and said give him another year.But he hit more than double that.I cant remember a striker so calm in front of goal and so unpredictable with what he will do with the ball taking on defenders.He has the ability to leave the best defenders in the world looking like amateurs.
There is no striker in the world i would swap him for...no one!
Its scary how good he has been and to think he may get a lot better.

Chelsea know how good he is and are wanting to buy him just as much to weaken our team as they are to strenghten their own.
Even if Torres does at some stage does have a desire to leave,there is no way we should sell him to a rival at any price!
He loves LFC anyway.The worry is though in time with players of this class we will need to be winning things regularly to keep him and to start soon.Footballers careers are short and they dont want to end it trophieless.To keep the best and tempt the best to our club we need to be winning cups and titles!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SundanceKid » Tue May 27, 2008 11:02 am

metalhead wrote:I just can't see Torres wearing the blue shirt! It doesn't even match!!

This is the most unarguable post in the thread.
SundanceKid

Postby Judge » Tue May 27, 2008 11:15 am

bigmick wrote:I know the press are probably just bored, and so am I but I ask the question anyway. Now i think we can take it as read that Madrid are trying to secure Ronaldo off of Man Utd, and the more I hear the rumours the more I think Chelsea see torres as the missing link between them and Man Utd.

Now we know Abrhamovich has unlimited funds, and without being silly about it (becuase don't you just know someone will come on and say "I wouldn't sell Torres for 500 million") is there a fee which which might tempt us? Now if the transfer fee has no limit, presumeably the wages don't either so however much the young fella loves the club, he'll have a breaking pooint too in terms of wages (half a million a week anyone?).

Now I ask the question merely as a conversational point, so if I could make a request that the thought police give it a while before they call me all the traitors under the sun, then gather together into a mob and give me a kicking for daring to think outside the box.

For my money, if Torres was to move he clearly would have to be the most expensive transfer in the history of football. We don't want to sell, and they want to buy. We have to replace him and others, and you have to add in the "feck 'em" factor. 100 million, that's my price. I think they'd seriously consider paying it too.

Add on- hands off the cash Hicks you fat c...

every man has his price, especially in business mick.

thought you'd know that. according to your wife, the dildo's you sell have rocketed in price, but you are selling more.

rumour has it, that woollyback needed some following his trip to wales at the weekend  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue May 27, 2008 12:15 pm

I understand the pride you talk about as a club. But, did prove something that Manchester United lost their captain Beckham against Real Madrid?

No, it just proved that they had an incredible offer over the table, good enough to get rid of a captain that came from the youth system, and they moved on with no chain reactions.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue May 27, 2008 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Tue May 27, 2008 12:18 pm

RAFA: TORRES IS NOT FOR SALE
Liverpoolfc.tv 27 May 2008
Rafa Benitez today gave short shrift to suggestions Fernando Torres could be allowed to leave the club.
The Anfield boss claimed there was no offer which would persuade the club to part company with its record signing and top scorer.

Benitez said: "The situation is very simple – we do not want to sell Fernando Torres.

"If a player does a good job for his team, like Fernando has for us, then it is sometimes easy for people to speculate that he might be wanted by other clubs.

"I am not aware of any offer being made by Chelsea but even if there was my answer would be the same – he is not for sale.

"We are trying to add to the spine of our team and that means keeping players like Fernando, Javier Mascherano, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher."

Earlier this morning, a club spokesman added: "The idea that Liverpool Football Club would consider selling Fernando Torres is absolute nonsense. Everyone at the club is fully focused on improving the squad ahead of the new season."
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion