Torres ideal partner? - 10-12mill tops

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby flamingpoe » Thu May 15, 2008 8:11 pm

from my eyes we need to replace pennant with arshavin, crouch with adriano.......i know hes gone down hill but he was always suited for the english game strength and heading ability and he now plays for sau paulo so he wud probs be cheap :P  voronin wud be replaced by fernandez and then i wud get rid of riise and.......im not sure with the replacement mayb him and voronin for fernandez
flamingpoe

Postby SundanceKid » Thu May 15, 2008 9:24 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:Players always look good on YouTube.

Agreed. Compilations are nothing but entertainment, not evidence.
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby bigmick » Thu May 15, 2008 10:10 pm

LFC2007 wrote:*Prays he doesn't move on and turn out to be sh!te*

Happens to all of us that mate, some of us predicted Kuyt would be a legend at Anfield  :D (actually in truth it's even worse than that, it wasn't "some of us" at all, it was me  :help ).

The thing about your post which was the most interesting bit for me was his tendency to drift in and out of spaces, left and right. One of my misgivings with the 4-5-1 is that the better teams can predict where damage is likely to occur and compensate for it. Now if we bought this lad, and say he played in the same position as Gerrard currently does, dare I say it it would give us a number of "options" and "possibilities"   :cool: (you've no idea how difficult it was for me to type that).

If we then moved Gerrard to the right side (and I really do think if we're serious we're going to have to find a way of playing which in all probability doesn't include Kuyt) and played with the same team as last season, we would have plenty of fluidity. Babel could be encouraged to wander/surge infield, similarly Gerrard so he can score his 20 goals, while Arshavin could play kind of up top but also drift into the vacant spaces. It would certainly make the chances of anyone doing a Makelili (I know that's spelt wrong, I just did it to wind Sabes up) on Gerrard.

People who say that youtube clips don't mean that someone for certain is a good player are bang on the money. That said, you could search Youtube for the rest of the month and there's a couple of strikers which are currently at the club who haven't got clips of golas on there which are as good as a couple of this kids (I say "kid" as I'm assuming he's not 34 or something).
Last edited by bigmick on Thu May 15, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu May 15, 2008 10:16 pm

It would certainly make the chances of anyone doing a Makelili (I know that's spelt wrong, I just did it to wind Sabes up) on Gerrard.

:blush:

:D

BTW, Nice report of the final LFC2007.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Thu May 15, 2008 10:39 pm

I'm a little surprised that he's been at Zenith for his entire career to date - he's 26, turning 27 in a couple of weeks. Up until Advocaat took over, Zenith hadn't won too much - a USSR league title in 1984, and 5 other unheard of Russian cup competitions. So, prior to their recent successes of the last two seasons, Arshavin's presumably been in a sh!t team for most of his career and has only recently flourished, partly as a consequence (EDIT checked the programme and they came 2nd in league and won a Russian cup in 2001, and got to the UEFA cup quart's in 05 - so much for that statement :laugh: ). Now, since fundamental ability doesn't improve drastically from late teen years onwards, he's either a player who went unnoticed due to his team's lack of success (ah well  :D ) or he just didn't standout because he's a late developer? - but not in the sense of his fundamental ability, rather in terms of confidence, positional sense, awareness and decision making.

Does the fact that he'd be 27 at the beginning of next season together with the fact that he's only ever played for Zenith, suggest he might not be up to standard? i.e. the top clubs don't consider him good enough?

It's just that most great players in recent times have usually been snapped up before the age of 25 (let alone 27).
LFC2007

Postby Scottbot » Thu May 15, 2008 11:30 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Does the fact that he'd be 27 at the beginning of next season together with the fact that he's only ever played for Zenith, suggest he might not be up to standard? i.e. the top clubs don't consider him good enough?

It's just that most great players in recent times have usually been snapped up before the age of 25 (let alone 27).

It's a good point but i'm pretty much sold on the lad. We desperately need a clever bugger in the side since losing Garcia. Torres pulls defenders all over the show, his movement affects the entire back-four so we could use a player who knows how to occupy and exploit this. Bennayoun is a good little squad player but he is a poor mans Garcia and i rate Arshavin above little Luis. He certainly won't give the ball away so much. Need to get in and buy the lad before the Euros though coz his price will rocket if Russia go well in the tournament.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu May 15, 2008 11:33 pm

Scottbot wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:Does the fact that he'd be 27 at the beginning of next season together with the fact that he's only ever played for Zenith, suggest he might not be up to standard? i.e. the top clubs don't consider him good enough?

It's a good point but i'm pretty much sold on the lad. We desperately need a clever bugger in the side since losing Garcia. Torres pulls defenders all over the show, his movement affects the entire back-four so we could use a player who knows how to occupy and exploit this. Bennayoun is a good little squad player but he is a poor mans Garcia and i rate Arshavin above little Luis. He certainly won't give the ball away so much. Need to get in and buy the lad before the Euros though coz his price will rocket if Russia go well in the tournament.

I heard Man City were interested in him Scott
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Thu May 15, 2008 11:37 pm

I'd thought about it, and I remembered that Deco had been aged 26 when he signed for Barca, turning 27 just after the start of the season. Now, whilst he was very successful at Porto prior to the move, he was still 25-26. Arshavin has enjoyed a similar type of success with Zenith, albeit on a lesser scale - yet still winning the league title, UEFA cup and a Russian cup.

I think they may be the exceptions to the rule, but it proves it can happen.
LFC2007

Postby SundanceKid » Fri May 16, 2008 3:00 am

Scottbot wrote:

Agreed. Did you see the way he handled the ball for Zenit's first goal? My god! I honestly vote that the best assist I've seen all year. Even better than all the fantastic Stevie to Torres ones
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby SupitsJonF » Fri May 16, 2008 3:28 am

SupitsJonF

Postby account deleted by request » Fri May 16, 2008 4:25 am

I think this is Torres ideal partner

Ripped from Rawk
account deleted by request

Postby SupitsJonF » Fri May 16, 2008 4:57 am

I feel so bad for Torres, why is he the woman?!

And also, that picture is..making me feel...weird.
SupitsJonF

Postby club_Levis » Fri May 16, 2008 7:27 am

s@int wrote:Image

I think this is Torres ideal partner

Ripped from Rawk

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
club_Levis

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri May 16, 2008 9:00 am

hello. deco is available for free. he has been released.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby GRAHAM01 » Fri May 16, 2008 10:28 am

i don't think he has been released just that he is free to go

Barcelona ready to offload Deco 

Deco joined Barcelona from Portuguese side Porto in 2004
Portugal international midfielder Deco could be set for a move to England after Barcelona confirmed he is free to talk to interested clubs.

The Brazil-born star, who is likely to be a target for a number of Premier League clubs, said: "I will almost certainly go to England or Italy.

"I won't stay in Spain as the only club at the same level as Barcelona is Madrid and I would never go to Madrid.

"I will go where I want and not where the club tells me."

Deco joined Barca from Porto in 2004 after helping the Portuguese side win the Uefa Cup, Champions League and domestic league titles.

The 30-year-old won two league championships with the Catalan giants, and was part of the team that beat Arsenal in the Champions League final in Paris in 2006.

However, a series of injuries have hampered Deco's season, contributing to just 14 La Liga starts in Barcelona's campaign.

Reports suggest he is one of a number of big names who could exit the Nou Camp this summer, with Ronaldinho, Samuel Eto'o, Lilian Thuram, Eidur Gudjohnsen and Thierry Henry all mentioned as possible departures.
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion