Torres ideal partner? - 10-12mill tops

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:22 am

cpc4eva wrote:
Rush Job wrote:
crazyhorse wrote:The title of this thread Torres ideal partner - 10 - 12 million.

For that money we can not improve on what we already have.

True. But anyway since Berbatov wants to leave spurs for CL footy i`d deffo go for him, he`s the type of clever player who could play just behind Torres to great affect.
I know i shouldnt but just thinking about it gets me going  :D . Prem winning strike force i recon.

bloddy manure or scumsea will probably come over the top of us and put in a higher bid for him....

Exactly. Them or Chelsea who would like to find someone who can play 4-4-2 alongside Drogba or Anelka. He probably would like Champions League football and a proper trophy, not that the FA Cup looks too much like a proper competition this season with so little class left in it. He might dally until January when it is clear where spudz are likely to finish, the u wafer cup is all well and good for wannabe clubs who talk big and deliver small, but it's a lot of games for not a lot of prestige. Hell even Rangers are going on a run in it and Celtic even reached the final, hardly playing the big stage.

I would venture a decent sized bid, test the water. Would have to be £15m+ but get in early so we can always go back. No point waiting until other clubs start making bids because they're likely to be bigger spending powers. I think his agent keeps talking up a move simply because he has a marketable player and will get money out of a move, plus he knows no player of Berbatov's quality will find the situation he is in at spudz 'ideal'. He's selling him as a big player in a small pond and with plenty of justification, spudz will find it hard to do what villa, citeh and the bitters all thought they might this season. Funnily enough pompey have been relatively level headed and may become the first of those four wannabes to land a decent trophy since 1995
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed May 14, 2008 7:11 pm

Watch the Russian lad Arshavin tonight. Top Top Quality player for me, can play anywhere across the front three in our current system and he wouldn't cost the earth. Looks like the perfect fit to me. Unfortunately his price will probably rocket if he does a job on Rangers (how the hell did they get there?! Have you watched them? Make Houllier's sides look like Barcelona) in the final tonight.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SundanceKid » Wed May 14, 2008 9:34 pm

I do agree with the post on Dean Ashton. But we'd have to sign him before the Hammers get too attached to him. He's the perfect partner for Torres. Both have different styles, but I think they'd connect for nice plays.

I do love Berbatov, but he's more of a finisher to me. Don't know how he'll feel about letting Torres finish nearly all the plays.
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Wed May 14, 2008 10:26 pm

Scottbot wrote:Watch the Russian lad Arshavin tonight. Top Top Quality player for me, can play anywhere across the front three in our current system and he wouldn't cost the earth. Looks like the perfect fit to me. Unfortunately his price will probably rocket if he does a job on Rangers (how the hell did they get there?! Have you watched them? Make Houllier's sides look like Barcelona) in the final tonight.

He was great today against Rangers.  He'd fit in perfectly into our team but he will probably be expensive now, and I don't think that their owners would let him go because they already have a :censored: load of money.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Scottbot » Wed May 14, 2008 10:35 pm

I like him. Very clever player, great vision, rarely loses the ball, quick feet. Reminds me of a Deco or an Aimar but also has the ability to hurt teams from wide (he put in some good crosses tonight) areas. A real string-puller. I'd be delighted if we went for him. Here's hoping Skrtel raves about him at Melwood.
Last edited by Scottbot on Wed May 14, 2008 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed May 14, 2008 11:52 pm

I didn't see it Scott but the way you describe him got me thinking. Of all the Liverpool players we've had in the past (and I even include kenny in this) the one bloke who I'd love to have alongside Torres would be Peter Beardsley. When you look at a player like that, you can even get all whistful and say we're not a million miles away from being a top side. Put Beardsley in where Gerrard plays, move Gerrard to the right and bingo, you've got a football team. His fluidity (Beardsleys) his movement, skill, vision and knack of scoring a goal would be the absolutely perfect foil for Torres, while Gerrard on the right would be an improvement on anybody we've had there for a couple of years. Get Alonso to move out of the pocket from time to time (or Barry) and even allowing for the fact that babel is in his formative years we'd give teams plenty of problems I reckon.

Anyway the reason I say all that, is because the way you describe this Arshavin (I could do with some of that meself tel the truth :D) is because the picture you conjure up in y head is like a Russian Peter Beardsley. 'Course if he's nothing like that at all, not for the first time my whole post is completely pointless.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu May 15, 2008 12:01 am

Scottbot wrote:I like him. Very clever player, great vision, rarely loses the ball, quick feet. Reminds me of a Deco or an Aimar but also has the ability to hurt teams from wide (he put in some good crosses tonight) areas. A real string-puller. I'd be delighted if we went for him. Here's hoping Skrtel raves about him at Melwood.

Had a quiet first half - but pulled the whole thing together after the break. Ive seen him before and he looks quality Scott.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Rush Job » Thu May 15, 2008 12:09 am

SundanceKid wrote:I do agree with the post on Dean Ashton. But we'd have to sign him before the Hammers get too attached to him. He's the perfect partner for Torres. Both have different styles, but I think they'd connect for nice plays.

I do love Berbatov, but he's more of a finisher to me. Don't know how he'll feel about letting Torres finish nearly all the plays.

Berbatov is one of the only top strikers i know of who can be clearly man of the match in a 3/4 nil without scoring, he`s not prolific like Torres but is much more dangerous in deap possitions arriving late. Spurs have been getting him to play on the shoulder but IMO that not his game.
If you want a player who could play just behind Torres and create as well as score while adding a new dimention to our play, add to that tryed and tested in the prem i dont see anyone better. Would be more like 20m though but thats almost the going rate for proven quality these days so...
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Thu May 15, 2008 12:12 am

bigmick wrote:I didn't see it Scott but the way you describe him got me thinking. Of all the Liverpool players we've had in the past (and I even include kenny in this) the one bloke who I'd love to have alongside Torres would be Peter Beardsley. When you look at a player like that, you can even get all whistful and say we're not a million miles away from being a top side. Put Beardsley in where Gerrard plays, move Gerrard to the right and bingo, you've got a football team. His fluidity (Beardsleys) his movement, skill, vision and knack of scoring a goal would be the absolutely perfect foil for Torres, while Gerrard on the right would be an improvement on anybody we've had there for a couple of years. Get Alonso to move out of the pocket from time to time (or Barry) and even allowing for the fact that babel is in his formative years we'd give teams plenty of problems I reckon.

Anyway the reason I say all that, is because the way you describe this Arshavin (I could do with some of that meself tel the truth :D) is because the picture you conjure up in y head is like a Russian Peter Beardsley. 'Course if he's nothing like that at all, not for the first time my whole post is completely pointless.

I`d second that, it would be like beauty and the beast though wouldnt it.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu May 15, 2008 1:35 am

bigmick wrote:I didn't see it Scott but the way you describe him got me thinking. Of all the Liverpool players we've had in the past (and I even include kenny in this) the one bloke who I'd love to have alongside Torres would be Peter Beardsley. When you look at a player like that, you can even get all whistful and say we're not a million miles away from being a top side. Put Beardsley in where Gerrard plays, move Gerrard to the right and bingo, you've got a football team. His fluidity (Beardsleys) his movement, skill, vision and knack of scoring a goal would be the absolutely perfect foil for Torres, while Gerrard on the right would be an improvement on anybody we've had there for a couple of years. Get Alonso to move out of the pocket from time to time (or Barry) and even allowing for the fact that babel is in his formative years we'd give teams plenty of problems I reckon.

Have dragged up a few highlights that i posted up a way back in this thread. He's not a million miles from Beardo in his style (he's a bit quicker and smaller) although he plays inside left/right for Zenit. He looks like he's got the touch and all-round game to play anywhere across our 3 lads behind Torres.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkw-Gq2_op0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu7x98AKcSs
Last edited by Scottbot on Thu May 15, 2008 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby flamingpoe » Thu May 15, 2008 2:37 am

arshavin is a player we should secure, he wasn't all that special in the first half, but the second half he was causing havoc!, on his zenet player profile he says this:-
his hobby is creating goals for the team and it doesn’t matter whether he scores himself or assists someone.
in the first half he crossed to no avail, but in the second half he got more of the ball and his slick passing, control and pace caused havoc for the rangers defence, so i wud be hella glad if we got him, but i wud still like us to try and get matias fernandez, incredible, and can be used as a winger or attacking mid
flamingpoe

Postby club_Levis » Thu May 15, 2008 7:56 am

While I think him and David Villa would simply hand us the league...I am resigned to to the fact it wont happen due to cash problem.As an option I think Ronaldinho is best suited to play where stevie plays in the new formation and the captain can switch to CM or RW.
club_Levis

Postby bigmick » Thu May 15, 2008 9:46 am

Well I just saw the goals on the news and the pass for the first goal was one of real quality. It's the wieght as much as anything, he kinds of drifts it along the ground into the blokes path. Not much to go on I know but the kid can certainly play. I might be totally wrong as well as there was no commentry, the bloke was on about crowd trouble while it was showing, but wasn't that the same player who sneaked it inside the fullback for the fella to cross it for the second? Pretty impressive ten second clip all round I reckon. I'm gonna give Scotts youtube montage a watch now.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu May 15, 2008 10:01 am

Yes from watching the video, he is eerily just like I imagined he would be from the way people described him. He does remind me very much of Beardsley, indeed the lasrt goal he scores on the second clip where he does the keeper with "the eyes" could easily be Beardsley, ditto the dribble and shot from the right edge of the box in the first clip. He's obviously very much right footed but can hit it with the left as well.

The only reservations I would have are that there were no obvious demonstrations of any pace (though that's not to say he hasn't got any), he is quite small and lightwieght at first glance, and some of the defending is a bit amaturish and I guess you'd have to be careful you wern't sleepwalking into a Kuyt mark 2 situation.

All that said though, he looks like a smashing little player to me. My hunch is he'd cost big dosh though but there'd be no objections from me if we bought him (as if anyone gives a feck anyway  :D ).
Last edited by bigmick on Thu May 15, 2008 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Thu May 15, 2008 10:40 am

flamingpoe wrote:arshavin is a player we should secure, he wasn't all that special in the first half, but the second half he was causing havoc!, on his zenet player profile he says this:-
his hobby is creating goals for the team and it doesn’t matter whether he scores himself or assists someone.
in the first half he crossed to no avail, but in the second half he got more of the ball and his slick passing, control and pace caused havoc for the rangers defence, so i wud be hella glad if we got him, but i wud still like us to try and get matias fernandez, incredible, and can be used as a winger or attacking mid

Arshavin would be an option and 'apparently' a few EPL teams are looking at him.

With us having had previous dealings with Zenit (Skrtel) I would assume we'd be one of those teams. I think Arshaven would offer quality and also the ability to play in a few positions. A bit like Babel.

Another option as a partner for Torres would be Mauro Zarate. Maybe we can use our Argentine link via Mascha to secure him. Might cost £10m but he looks a player.
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion