Torres - He doesn't need a strike partner

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:25 pm

Tonight proved me for me what i've figured for a while. That Torres  is FAR more effective when he plays upfront on his own. He was absolutely fantastic tonight and he played like the Torres we see week in week out for Liverpool. We are so lucky to have him. He was absolutely immense. It's so rare to get a forward who has the mobility, quickness, engine, skill, intelligence and work-rate to run an ENTIRE back four ragged all by HIMSELF. He ties up all four defenders at various stages of the game. He is so much better when he has the space to roam and doesn't have to worry about stepping on the toes of a strike partner. We are all talking about who to buy to complement him but really we need someone to come in and spell him.
Last edited by Scottbot on Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:26 pm

Needs two fast wingers to provide crosses.

Speed down the flanks!
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:28 pm

Scottbot wrote:Tonight proved me for me what i've figured for a while. That Torres  is FAR more effective when he plays upfront on his own. He was absolutely fantastic tonight and he played like the Torres we see week in week out for Liverpool. We are so lucky to have him. He was absolutely immense. It's so rare to get a forward who has the mobility, quickness, engine, skill, intelligence and work-rate to run an ENTIRE back four ragged all by HIMSELF. He ties up all four defenders at various stages of the game. He is so much better when he has the space to roam and doesn't have to worry about stepping on the toes of a strike partner. We are all talking about who to buy to complement him but really we need someone to come in and spell him.

Great shout
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:33 pm

He was superb and i am now unhappy with him bein brought off, this game he didnt desrve it and it made even worse sense than usual, at least he never got injured and he took his goal brilliantly, made up for him and i had a paul mckenna on him first goal at 9/2 so keeps me happy.

Well in nando lad.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kunilson » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:38 pm

i think a striker who can help him out at times, especially when he's being doubled up on won't do any harm.....as long as he doesn't have to compromise his game too much for that other striker. Its just about finding someone he has that good an understanding with........

maybe we don't need to because him and gerrard seem to have found a good relationship but when the going gets tough gerrard slips back into the midfield battle and leaves Torres being isolated battling the defence, and a better one tonight maybe woulda caused him problems....

Don't think we should give up looking for a strike partner, but the situation right now where gerrard plays off him is not the worst...add another creative player to the team and its even better
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:38 pm

I used to think Drogba was the best in the business at playing the lone striker role, but Torres is even better.  Totally different style but a better player.

I reckon we probably have about 2 seasons left to win the title before Gerrard and Carra are past their peak.  Similarly if we go another 2 seasons without winning a major trophy (title or CL) then people like Reina or even Torres might want a new challenge.  We desperately need to get the right players in quickly to compliment the likes of Gerrard and Torres before the whole side needs rebuilding.  Possibly 2 quality attacking players would do it.

I'd favour a classy winger and a striker.  With Crouch going, with Kuyt playing wide and with Voronin being very average, we would be royally fu.cked if Torres was to pick up a bad injury, so we need to bring in more quality up front, even if it isn't someone to necessarily play regularly with Torres.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:40 pm

Scottbot wrote:Tonight proved me for me what i've figured for a while. That Torres  is FAR more effective when he plays upfront on his own. He was absolutely fantastic tonight and he played like the Torres we see week in week out for Liverpool. We are so lucky to have him. He was absolutely immense. It's so rare to get a forward who has the mobility, quickness, engine, skill, intelligence and work-rate to run an ENTIRE back four ragged all by HIMSELF. He ties up all four defenders at various stages of the game. He is so much better when he has the space to roam and doesn't have to worry about stepping on the toes of a strike partner. We are all talking about who to buy to complement him but really we need someone to come in and spell him.

Correct.

Superb & dominant. Top class performance from a top class player. No one could get near him tonight.

I had a £10 on him for 1st scorer @ 5/1. Thank you very much nando   :bowdown
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:48 pm

john craig wrote:I used to think Drogba was the best in the business at playing the lone striker role, but Torres is even better.  Totally different style but a better player.

Agree on that mate. Drogba is an immense player (despite being a complete ar..sehole) who plays the lone striker role superbly. He tends to do it with his sheer physical presence where as Torres using a mixture of speed, strength and VERY intelligent running. We have got to get the right supporting cast in to help this guy win us a title in the next couple of years. Not Downing, not Bentley, Not Reira but GENUINE quality.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:51 pm

Agreed scott

had a fantastic game tonight!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:54 pm

john craig wrote:I used to think Drogba was the best in the business at playing the lone striker role, but Torres is even better.  Totally different style but a better player.

I reckon we probably have about 2 seasons left to win the title before Gerrard and Carra are past their peak.  Similarly if we go another 2 seasons without winning a major trophy (title or CL) then people like Reina or even Torres might want a new challenge.  We desperately need to get the right players in quickly to compliment the likes of Gerrard and Torres before the whole side needs rebuilding.  Possibly 2 quality attacking players would do it.

I'd favour a classy winger and a striker.  With Crouch going, with Kuyt playing wide and with Voronin being very average, we would be royally fu.cked if Torres was to pick up a bad injury, so we need to bring in more quality up front, even if it isn't someone to necessarily play regularly with Torres.

Without behing biased and sounding like we are being blinded in our opinions by Torres being a Liverpool player without question alongside Drogba he is the best in the world, i like Adebayor as well, but to occupy a whole defence as a lone striker these two are imo head and shoulders above the rest,
Rafa has pulled off a masterstroke in getting him, and unlike the Chelsea player Torres seems to be far far more loyal and level headed, he seems to be humble and genuine, i am so so happy that we got him and not one of the other mercenaries.
He is fast, decent in the air, strong, tow footed and has desire and a will to win and a proper team working mentality, if there is any player in the world that we could swap with Torres who would make a similar impact name him.

WE ARE SO SO LUCKY.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:57 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:if there is any player in the world that we could swap with Torres who would make a similar impact name him.

And the room went quiet.....
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:58 pm

FERNANDO TORRES es una leyenda del FUTBOL ESPAÑOL.

FERNANDO TORRES ES UN RED. FERNANDO TORRES, LEYENDA EN UN CLUB LEGENDARIO: LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB.

VIVA EL LIVERPOOL. VIVA TORRES. VIVAN LOS REDS.     :buttrock

LIVERPOOL!! TORRES!! LEGEND!!!!  :buttrock  :buttrock

P.S. I agree Scottbot, and fair play to Toshack, who's been saying the same thing during the season.

P.S. Forgive me the Spanish rant. ESPECIAL NIGHT.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso14 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:00 pm

Him and Gerrard both deserve to win the Premiership. They both have the hunger and desire to win it, we just need to find the right players to compliment them some time soon.

Both have come into their prime.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:01 pm

You should be out on the pop mate!
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:02 pm

And still you will hear pundits rabbit on about Ronaldo being the best player in the world.  He didn't produce in the CL semis or final and he didn't produce in the EUROs when his team were up against it.  Once again the only impact he had was against lesser teams who Portugal bullied.

Torres has scored the winner in the final of the EUROs.  Although that alone doesn't make you the best player in the world, that coupled with his general play for Spain in this tournament and for Liverpool this season surely puts him up there and certainly ahead of Ronaldo imo.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion