Torres - He doesn't need a strike partner

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ALONSO_14 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:16 pm

john craig wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Reg wrote:
SundanceKid wrote:Many times he broke through the German defense but kept getting caught by the last man.

The missing piece of the jigsaw is what made Rush and Drogba brilliant as opposed to very good - toughness. Once Rushie smelt the goal a defender could not stop him, he used his hips, elbows, whatever, to ensure he scored... the mark of a goal hungry striker.

Once he develops that skill we can start dreaming the league again.

TBPH, Reg, I think he's already there.  There's been a few times this season where Torres has shown the drive and determination--not to mention the muscle--to get past his man and beat the keeper.  We've seen it last night against Lahm but he's done it in a Liverpool shirt as well.

I think last night's game was interesting for this discussion.  There were a couple of instances early on where Torres was one on one against the last man and seemed to go to ground fairly easily with the initial contact.  That's something we barely see from him anymore in the Prem because it doesn't get the call.  In a Euro final, though, with an Italian ref I think he was trying it on.  When Rosetti was having none of it, though, Torres seemed to decide to opt for the more physical approach...as we saw against Lahm.

Personally, I have no doubts that Torres can be every bit as physical as he needs to be in order to score goals.  Like Drogba though--although nowhere near as obvious, IMO--he'll see what the ref will be awarding free kicks for, first.

Well said, his goal last night shown everything about that side of his game.

He brushed off Lahm like he wasn't there, Lahm's a bloody good player aswell, not some no mark who doesn't know these kind of tricks.

Ever since the Carling Cup game against Reading where Torres got the complete :censored: kicked out of him all night in front of a referee who gave him absolutely no protection, and kept getting to his feet going on to score a hat-trick I had no doubts about the lad's physical and mental toughness.  It's around about then I started to believe we hadn't just bought a good striker, we had a top drawer one and one who was up for the fight.

Wasn't at all surprised he muscled Lahm out of the way, great to see.

Yeah, not only was i not surprised but i was even expecting him to muscle lahm out the way, its the sort of thing hes been doing all season
LIVERPOOL FC- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2005
                        EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS, 5TH TIME WINNERS
                        ISTANBUL
ALONSO_14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:21 pm

Scottbot wrote:Tonight proved me for me what i've figured for a while. That Torres  is FAR more effective when he plays upfront on his own. He was absolutely fantastic tonight and he played like the Torres we see week in week out for Liverpool. We are so lucky to have him. He was absolutely immense. It's so rare to get a forward who has the mobility, quickness, engine, skill, intelligence and work-rate to run an ENTIRE back four ragged all by HIMSELF. He ties up all four defenders at various stages of the game. He is so much better when he has the space to roam and doesn't have to worry about stepping on the toes of a strike partner. We are all talking about who to buy to complement him but really we need someone to come in and spell him.

good post mate , torres may not need a strike partner but the story of last season was that whenever torres or gerrard was marked out of the game , our results suffered , i mean apart from those 2 who are our main scorers , who else can you see getting the goals when either of these two are injured , not effective or marked out of the game , babel is too young to take the responsibility , he does get the goals but he's not consistent enough , kuyt's inconsistent. We need a second striker where we can revert back to the 4-4-2 when results are not going our way , we need to sign a striker or a creative player than again the whole problem could be solved if we signed 2 consistent goal scoring wingers and slowly eased babel into the forward role
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:23 pm

john craig wrote:And still you will hear pundits rabbit on about Ronaldo being the best player in the world.  He didn't produce in the CL semis or final and he didn't produce in the EUROs when his team were up against it.  Once again the only impact he had was against lesser teams who Portugal bullied.

Torres has scored the winner in the final of the EUROs.  Although that alone doesn't make you the best player in the world, that coupled with his general play for Spain in this tournament and for Liverpool this season surely puts him up there and certainly ahead of Ronaldo imo.

The media may be abit unfair and bias but you have to admit ronaldo as had a long season where he scored 42 goals and he had a decent euro , not just up to the standard that people were expecting of him .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:25 pm

Am just lost for words describing the lad. Owen was immense, Fowler was too, I just think Torres takes it to a new level, really do. Its great we finally have a forward who is not only fit to lace their boots, but is probably better.

Absoloutely everything about him is top draw, he can pass, run, shoot, has strength, aggression, power, explosiveness, can head, can tackle, hard as nails, has flair, can beat players can finish, can read the game... he has alot of everything.

We need to go out and find a player now who can compliment him and get him into the game and able to influence it against the better sides... Someone like Arshavin would be perfect, maybe even Gudjohnson could be worth a look.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:26 pm

one of my favorite moves of Torres last night was when he got the ball on the counter after a set piece I think and the bombed up the side and flew by two german defenders and and surprised Lehman so badly that he had to kick it out for a throw in a fairly dangerous position. It was pretty audacious running by the #9
JoeTerp

Postby Fo Dne » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:28 pm

JoeTerp wrote:one of my favorite moves of Torres last night was when he got the ball on the counter after a set piece I think and the bombed up the side and flew by two german defenders and and surprised Lehman so badly that he had to kick it out for a throw in a fairly dangerous position. It was pretty audacious running by the #9

Just before that run started though he send a german player (who tried to shove him off the ball) sprawling on their :censored:, that for me was the most impressive thing...
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:29 pm

Fo Dne wrote:Someone like Arshavin would be perfect, maybe even Gudjohnson could be worth a look.

Agree something like a second striker , but not gudjohnsen , he's past it , maybe someone like diego
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Perseo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:59 pm

torres  video   1996  12 years   :bowdown

http://mediacenter.gazzetta.it/MediaCe....f02aabc
Perseo

Postby Scottbot » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:59 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:Someone like Arshavin would be perfect, maybe even Gudjohnson could be worth a look.

Agree something like a second striker , but not gudjohnsen , he's past it , maybe someone like diego

Unfortunately I don't think Arshavin will happen :-(

I know he's a popular choice on here and I've been quietly impressed with David Silva. He's had a good tournament and looks versatile enough to play in any of the 3 positions behind Torres. looks a clever player, quick feet, can beat a man and a good passer of the ball. Am also well chuffed to see we're sniffing around Robbie Keane (unfortunately it's a season too late as with Barry) who was my first choice until i saw Arshavin play a few times. I guess it comes down to money. Do you go out and buy a wide player + a striker or spend more to get both in the same player?

Gudjohnsen isn't a bad shout, he's a solid player who can drop off or play as a bit of a target man, knows what English football is all about and wouldn't cost the earth.
Last edited by Scottbot on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Hedonisbot » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:26 am

Fo Dne wrote:Am just lost for words describing the lad. Owen was immense, Fowler was too, I just think Torres takes it to a new level, really do. Its great we finally have a forward who is not only fit to lace their boots, but is probably better.

Absoloutely everything about him is top draw, he can pass, run, shoot, has strength, aggression, power, explosiveness, can head, can tackle, hard as nails, has flair, can beat players can finish, can read the game... he has alot of everything.

We need to go out and find a player now who can compliment him and get him into the game and able to influence it against the better sides... Someone like Arshavin would be perfect, maybe even Gudjohnson could be worth a look.

\ :bowdown
Hedonisbot

Postby maguskwt » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:49 am

Well Congratulations Spain! and Congratulations Torres! He capped off a briliant first season in the PL with this Final performance and becomeing a European Champion! I'm just happy for him.

Even though my heart pains to see the Germans go out in a Final for the umpteenth time, there was absolutely no doubt that Spain was the best team of the tournament and absolutely deserved to become European Champions. In fact after their performance against Russia, it is hard to see how Germany could overcome such a dominance. Congratulations Sabre, you must be reall happy now... oh and you owe Torres an apology!  :D

Anyway I'm very impressed at the way Torres handled this tournament. He didn't seem to be Aragones' favourite player as he was being subbed game after game and we all know he doesn't like being subbed...it always shows in his fascial expressions a little more than most players. But Aragones was a hard-as-nail-old-fart and his attitude seemed to be like 'to hell with him if he doesn't like it... i'll just keep doing it'... and sometimes without much good reasons IMO. There was no doubt that Villa was favoured to Torres in the first team. And in some games it is clear that Torres was struggling...because the spanish midfielders were taking up quite alot of ball time and didn't make quick passes to him early. But once Torres had the chance to prove his worth in the Final game, he took the game by the scruff of its neck and showed what he can do. The goal was just ubelievable... he had no right to outpace Lahm and then get his foot to the ball after that kind of maneouvre around Lahm, but he did it and scored! just unbelievable...

btw I was really impressed with Villa's attitude throughout the tournament as well... he kept emphasizing that it's a team performance and not about him when the spotlight was obviously on him and his gestures towards Torres was also very heartwarming... we should really try to sign Villa!  :grinning:
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:14 pm

JoeTerp wrote:one of my favorite moves of Torres last night was when he got the ball on the counter after a set piece I think and the bombed up the side and flew by two german defenders and and surprised Lehman so badly that he had to kick it out for a throw in a fairly dangerous position. It was pretty audacious running by the #9

Lehman has no class at all that bitter , just read today that he said that torres is no henry , henry was a god , torres is far from that , he said that after the game i think
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:23 pm

Luis Aragones, on Torres: "He is very good. Of course he has to improve a couple of things, which we already told him that, but he's a clever lad and he will keep learning".

Tricky Question: What do you think Torres could have in order to bet yet a better player?

For instance, I'll mention the physical approach. It's not only 44 years without winning something relevant, the other day was the first time I've seen a Spanish striker winning an aerial ball to a tall German defender :D

Torres has improved a lot on this actions, and how he got his chance to score in his goal is an aspect that I think he has improved definitely in England. Torres, without a hint of doubt, has learnt a lot in Liverpool Football Club. I think he'll improve that.

I'd ask him to use his left foot more to become more impredictible, but he's on the right path indeed. So question, do you agree Aragones and think he can improve his game further? If so, what would you ask him to improve?
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:32 pm

Movement and anticipation. Torres could learn a thing or two from Fowler and Owen when it comes to movement in the box, and anticipating where the ball is going. He makes great runs, but when he is in the box he tends not to make space for himself by clever movement. Seems a bit harsh to pick at his faults when he has been outstanding but I think he could improve in those areas.
account deleted by request

Postby Reg » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:39 pm

s@int wrote:Movement and anticipation. Torres could learn a thing or two from Fowler and Owen when it comes to movement in the box, and anticipating where the ball is going. He makes great runs, but when he is in the box he tends not to make space for himself by clever movement. Seems a bit harsh to pick at his faults when he has been outstanding but I think he could improve in those areas.

I tried to make a similar point and was told in no uncertain terms I didnt know what the BH I was talking about and that Torres is already perfect.

I agree with what you say S@int !  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion