Torres - He doesn't need a strike partner

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:07 am

I'd give the lad a longer rest than the docs advise to be honest. why take any chances? Hammy injuries are the worst of the bunch. We discussed the psychological impact that type of injury can have on a player (particularly in their first few games back) and we also saw that Torres took several games to get back on song and looking his usual self after the last one. You never know, he might make it back for the Chelsea game but chances are he won't be much better than 80-85% and he will be playing with doubt, will it go again? Is it properly healed? Can I go at full pace? Should I chase that lost cause? It's a long long season, the manager spent £19 million on a new forward this summer, i'd prefer he gave Keane the responsibility of leading the line, stick the in-form Deadly Dirk up-top and see how we go.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:00 am

why not give one of the youngsters a chance together with Keane, if they stink they can be subbed but they need a chance and as a striker it isn't that risky is it! I would like to see Pachecho given a chance or maybe N'Gog, if the youngsters don't get a chance to play then how will we ever find the next Owen, Fowler, Carra, Gerrard etc?
heimdall

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:20 am

whats the problem here, the prolific goal machine kuyt can play up front   :laugh:
112-1077774096

Postby roberto green » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:35 am

peewee wrote:whats the problem here, the prolific goal machine kuyt can play up front   :laugh:

joking aside when Kuyt has played up front this season he has played really well he lacks just 1 thing,speed, oh and the abilty to find the back of the net more often than not......oh thats 2 things :D
roberto green

Postby SupitsJonF » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:05 am

Chelsea has a very strong back 4, I think starting a youngster would be a very poor choice.  This isn't the game to experiment with that, especially since United got a point here.  If we want to keep a lead we need to at least match their Big Four results.  And if we can, do better.  (Which so far has proven to be the point, but we only played one game)
SupitsJonF

Postby Scottbot » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:29 am

He isn't starting material in my eyes (like most) but i'm perfectly happy with Kuyt as a back-up striker.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:15 am

from .tv:

Scans have revealed Fernando Torres will be out of action for between 10 and 15 days, while Ryan Babel is a major doubt for this weekend's clash with Wigan. 
Doctors at Melwood discovered a tear in Torres' right hamstring which could rule him out for the next four games - Wigan (h), Atletico (a), Chelsea (a) and Portsmouth (h).

The injury was sustained after 17 minutes of Spain's World Cup qualifier in Belgium on Wednesday night.

Babel, meanwhile, should be back sooner after spraining his left ankle during Holland's match against Norway.

Liverpool spokesman Ian Cotton said: "A scan on Fernando Torres has shown a tear in his right hamstring which will sideline the player for between 10 and 15 days.

"Ryan Babel has sprained his left ankle and is a major doubt for Wigan on Saturday."
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kopite_1232002 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:16 am

not to bothered about nando bein out for the wigan and madrid games, i think kuyt and kean are more than capable

gutted about the chelsea game though, worth havin on the bench if he says he is fit say were 0-0 with 20 to play

id play gerrard on the rite and alonso and masher in the middle still very strong
kopite_1232002

Postby metalhead » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:51 am

again there is a hamstring problem  ???
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:07 pm

Hamstrings always going to be a problem with pacey explosive strikers - nature of there game really .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. 08 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:43 pm

There are many world class strikers, who in recent years have repeated injury problems. Some worse than others, but nothing shocking.

Obviously we don't want a repeat of the Michael Owen situation, however its inevitable that Torres will get injured.

Henry has been struggling with injuries in the last three to four seasons. Samuel Etoo has had two or three major injuries which have sidelined him for well over six months each time.

Drogba has been battling injuries for about a year now. He had a great year in 06/07, but he has hardly played consistently as much as he did then. He recovered recently but got injured again.

Its unfortunate and bad timing, but hardly surprising. We can sit here and worry until we are blue in the face, but its hardly going to change the situation. International breaks in general always bring :censored: news, which is why I am starting to hate all non-club football in general.
Last edited by A.B. 08 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A.B. 08

Postby tubby » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:07 pm

The problem is there are too many demands on a player these days. If you are playing top level football then you are looking at a game per week plus european games every few weeks in midweek and then internationals every few months.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Perseo » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:33 pm

one suporter of valencia, nacional team 7 players friendly machts and qualifing world cup machts    villa, silva, albiol, marchena, vicente, albelda,and brasilians and argetins the team of most player of spain save bilbao, the problem is the calendar of uefa o fifa
one division for 16 teams 32 matches  cup a 1 macht, champions ligue  a k.o round  2 matchs
is the solution the plubicite and the interest  television is the problem
Perseo

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:17 am

Perseo wrote:one suporter of valencia, nacional team 7 players friendly machts and qualifing world cup machts    villa, silva, albiol, marchena, vicente, albelda,and brasilians and argetins the team of most player of spain save bilbao, the problem is the calendar of uefa o fifa
one division for 16 teams 32 matches  cup a 1 macht, champions ligue  a k.o round  2 matchs
is the solution the plubicite and the interest  television is the problem

I wouldnt say television is the problem, the problem is the lack of imagination by national coaches. For me, a friendly match should be a chance for a new coach to use first team players in a different system that they are not used to playing or trying out less picked players to show that they can do a job for the team. If supporters turn up for a match with first team players, in a familiar system they are entitled to boo, however if a friendly is used for the reasons I mentioned then win or lose, its experience gained. Friendly matches should be used to experiment, however, the coaches feel pressured by the media and no attention is paid to the going supporter.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:29 pm

Scottbot wrote:He isn't starting material in my eyes (like most) but i'm perfectly happy with Kuyt as a back-up striker.

Deffo standing by that  :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion