Torres - He doesn't need a strike partner

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red_guy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:22 am

Sabre wrote:FERNANDO TORRES es una leyenda del FUTBOL ESPAÑOL.

FERNANDO TORRES ES UN RED. FERNANDO TORRES, LEYENDA EN UN CLUB LEGENDARIO: LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB.

VIVA EL LIVERPOOL. VIVA TORRES. VIVAN LOS REDS.     :buttrock

LIVERPOOL!! TORRES!! LEGEND!!!!  :buttrock  :buttrock

P.S. I agree Scottbot, and fair play to Toshack, who's been saying the same thing during the season.

P.S. Forgive me the Spanish rant. ESPECIAL NIGHT.

Torres said,"Sabre, i forgive you".  :D

Anyway, Congratulations!!
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:56 am

NANNY RED wrote:
Scottbot wrote:Tonight proved me for me what i've figured for a while. That Torres  is FAR more effective when he plays upfront on his own. He was absolutely fantastic tonight and he played like the Torres we see week in week out for Liverpool. We are so lucky to have him. He was absolutely immense. It's so rare to get a forward who has the mobility, quickness, engine, skill, intelligence and work-rate to run an ENTIRE back four ragged all by HIMSELF. He ties up all four defenders at various stages of the game. He is so much better when he has the space to roam and doesn't have to worry about stepping on the toes of a strike partner. We are all talking about who to buy to complement him but really we need someone to come in and spell him.

Great shout

it was proved because the system spain used was correct.

however, spain have proved in this tournament that they can mix things up also. Torres was also good in the early stages even though it was villa that scored most.

Torres is quality, and with quality he can play on his own or with a partner.
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:13 am

The thing that surprised and delighted me most last night, was how well Torres did in the air. I know he has scored a few headers for us ( Spurs perhaps the pick of the bunch) but he was up against two tall and physical defenders and still managed to win his share, and more importantly without giving away silly fouls like Crouch does. 

I still think we need a creative second striker behind Torres, Gerrard does a great job of setting him up but against the better sides Gerrard gets drawn into the midfield battle and Torres becomes isolated. With a decent striker to take his place when he is tired or injured and a good wide player. 3 players and I think we will really see the best of Torres.

What a great goal again last night though, I was made up for him, to not only reach the ball first (which was an achievement in itself) but to chip it over Leman into the corner of the net......outstanding!
account deleted by request

Postby Number 9 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:27 pm

I agree that Torres is best upfront alone,have thought so for a very long time!
As mentioned as well in this thread,we need to add a quality striker incase he gets injured.Its obvoius Rafa favours the 4-2-3-1 as it gets the best out of Nando.
So there may be a problem attracting a top striker because they know they will spend most of their time on the bench.

That is unless as Saint says above we sign a striker that can play in behind Torres.Someone who could play up front as well if the unthinkable ever happened to Nando!Who is there about though that could fill both roles if needed to the quality thats needed?Maybe thats why we have been supposedly linked with Robbie Keane,very skillfull player who can make things happen but also scores goals.

This would probably mean Gerrard back on the right and Kuyt on the bench quite a lot!
That would make a lot on here happy! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:55 pm

Number 9 wrote:I agree that Torres is best upfront alone,have thought so for a very long time!
As mentioned as well in this thread,we need to add a quality striker incase he gets injured.Its obvoius Rafa favours the 4-2-3-1 as it gets the best out of Nando.
So there may be a problem attracting a top striker because they know they will spend most of their time on the bench.

That is unless as Saint says above we sign a striker that can play in behind Torres.Someone who could play up front as well if the unthinkable ever happened to Nando!Who is there about though that could fill both roles if needed to the quality thats needed?Maybe thats why we have been supposedly linked with Robbie Keane,very skillfull player who can make things happen but also scores goals.

This would probably mean Gerrard back on the right and Kuyt on the bench quite a lot!

rotation - cue big mick for a noval style post  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:01 pm

Judge wrote:
Number 9 wrote:I agree that Torres is best upfront alone,have thought so for a very long time!

No its not really rotation mate! :D
It just means Gerrard moving right,Kuyt (although i like him)becoming a squad player and a getting a creative striker in behind Torres!

My point being it will be hard to attract a quality player that can do this role and cover if Torres was ever out for any length of time if they wont get playing regularly.

Congratulations and thanks mate!That is i believe the first time ever you have quoted me without calling me a homo!! :laugh:
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:32 pm

Judge wrote:
Number 9 wrote:
Judge wrote:

No its not really rotation mate! :D
It just means Gerrard moving right,Kuyt (although i like him)becoming a squad player and a creative striker in behind Torres!

My point being it will be hard to attract a quality player that can do this role and cover if Torres was ever out for any length of time if they wont get playing regularly.

Congratulations and thanks mate!That is i believe the first time ever you have quoted me without calling me a homo!! :laugh:

really............you fecking gay :D

FFS, get a room you two. :no  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Fo Dne » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:26 pm

Reg wrote:
SundanceKid wrote:Many times he broke through the German defense but kept getting caught by the last man.

The missing piece of the jigsaw is what made Rush and Drogba brilliant as opposed to very good - toughness. Once Rushie smelt the goal a defender could not stop him, he used his hips, elbows, whatever, to ensure he scored... the mark of a goal hungry striker.

Once he develops that skill we can start dreaming the league again.

Are you takin the :censored:?

How can you even sit there and say that?

Torres is probably the best player in the world on current form and for you to sit there and say its down to his lack of hunger to score goals thats stopping us winning the league is the height of stupidity, I'd even go as far to say as he's a far better player than Rushie could ever dream of being.

The difference is Rush played with the best, Torres doesn't.

Imagine Torres with Dalglish behind him?

Rush was great at what he done, he didn't have Torres alround game or ability to make something out of nothing. Not even close.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:30 pm

Ok so I´m now the target of your verbal abuse.... lucky me.

What I said was... if you can freakin´read......... is that Torres hasnt yet developed that final skill of getting past the final man as Rushie did - who was a very physical player and wasnt at all shy to use his elbows or whatever to get goalside of the last man.

See if you can just accept it without retort to your usual chest thumping and verbal cak Stu.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:41 pm

Reg wrote:Ok so I´m now the target of your verbal abuse.... lucky me.

What I said was... if you can freakin´read......... is that Torres hasnt yet developed that final skill of getting past the final man as Rushie did - who was a very physical player and wasnt at all shy to use his elbows or whatever to get goalside of the last man.

See if you can just accept it without retort to your usual chest thumping and verbal cak Stu.

Did you actually see his goal for Spain that won them the Euro's?

You're talkin :censored: lad, not me.

The lads superb physically and clearly loves a tackle or challenge. Not seen him shirk anything yet unlike his Liverpool "strike partner" who runs upto everything then shits out.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Fo Dne » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:42 pm

Reg wrote:Ok so I´m now the target of your verbal abuse.... lucky me.

And stop cryin about verbal abuse, I hardly laid into ya lad.

If ya talk :censored:, ya getting told. Enough said.

Torres gives easily as good as he gets. He's a :censored: monster.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:42 pm

Reg wrote:
SundanceKid wrote:Many times he broke through the German defense but kept getting caught by the last man.

The missing piece of the jigsaw is what made Rush and Drogba brilliant as opposed to very good - toughness. Once Rushie smelt the goal a defender could not stop him, he used his hips, elbows, whatever, to ensure he scored... the mark of a goal hungry striker.

TBPH, Reg, I think he's already there.  There's been a few times this season where Torres has shown the drive and determination--not to mention the muscle--to get past his man and beat the keeper.  We've seen it last night against Lahm but he's done it in a Liverpool shirt as well.

I think last night's game was interesting for this discussion.  There were a couple of instances early on where Torres was one on one against the last man and seemed to go to ground fairly easily with the initial contact.  That's something we barely see from him anymore in the Prem because it doesn't get the call.  In a Euro final, though, with an Italian ref I think he was trying it on.  When Rosetti was having none of it, though, Torres seemed to decide to opt for the more physical approach...as we saw against Lahm.

Personally, I have no doubts that Torres can be every bit as physical as he needs to be in order to score goals.  Like Drogba though--although nowhere near as obvious, IMO--he'll see what the ref will be awarding free kicks for, first.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Fo Dne » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:45 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Reg wrote:

TBPH, Reg, I think he's already there.  There's been a few times this season where Torres has shown the drive and determination--not to mention the muscle--to get past his man and beat the keeper.  We've seen it last night against Lahm but he's done it in a Liverpool shirt as well.

I think last night's game was interesting for this discussion.  There were a couple of instances early on where Torres was one on one against the last man and seemed to go to ground fairly easily with the initial contact.  That's something we barely see from him anymore in the Prem because it doesn't get the call.  In a Euro final, though, with an Italian ref I think he was trying it on.  When Rosetti was having none of it, though, Torres seemed to decide to opt for the more physical approach...as we saw against Lahm.

Personally, I have no doubts that Torres can be every bit as physical as he needs to be in order to score goals.  Like Drogba though--although nowhere near as obvious, IMO--he'll see what the ref will be awarding free kicks for, first.

Well said, his goal last night shown everything about that side of his game.

He brushed off Lahm like he wasn't there, Lahm's a bloody good player aswell, not some no mark who doesn't know these kind of tricks.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:53 pm

Fo Dne wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Reg wrote:

He brushed off Lahm like he wasn't there, Lahm's a bloody good player aswell, not some no mark who doesn't know these kind of tricks.

Great goal. :nod  I loved the effort in the 2nd half, too, where he skinned Mertersacker like he was toying with him.  Unfortunately, he knocked the ball a bit too long and Lehmann was able to collect first.  Kinell, if Torres had been on the absolute top of his game last night he could have had a hattrick against a German defense who could not live with him.  He's simply immense.  :nod
Last edited by Bad Bob on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:54 pm

Fo Dne wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Reg wrote:

Ever since the Carling Cup game against Reading where Torres got the complete :censored: kicked out of him all night in front of a referee who gave him absolutely no protection, and kept getting to his feet going on to score a hat-trick I had no doubts about the lad's physical and mental toughness.  It's around about then I started to believe we hadn't just bought a good striker, we had a top drawer one and one who was up for the fight.

Wasn't at all surprised he muscled Lahm out of the way, great to see.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion