Torres - He doesn't need a strike partner

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:04 pm

Scottbot wrote:You should be out on the pop mate!

I can't. The irony of not being able to celebrate in the streets because you may have a fight with some cúnt that thinks you're invading him.

Running wine happily though at home!  :buttrock
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:11 pm

john craig wrote:And still you will hear pundits rabbit on about Ronaldo being the best player in the world.  He didn't produce in the CL semis or final and he didn't produce in the EUROs when his team were up against it.  Once again the only impact he had was against lesser teams who Portugal bullied.

Torres has scored the winner in the final of the EUROs.  Although that alone doesn't make you the best player in the world, that coupled with his general play for Spain in this tournament and for Liverpool this season surely puts him up there and certainly ahead of Ronaldo imo.

John the great thing about Torres is that i think he actually doesnt give a feck about stuff like that.

He was brilliant tonight, took his goal so well, and especially after not being great in the tournament, he could of snatched at it and wasted the chance....no way, sublime finish.

Nearly got another second half as well.

Love the lad and seriously cant see (in this game) the justification of subbing him, oh well will keep him fresher for us  :D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:20 pm

Im especially pleased with Aragones. Once the result was secure in matches off came Torres. Hes ended up the match winner for the final  and still fit after the tournament which can only be good news for Liverpool as he will be now on high for the new season. Brilliant goal as well.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:21 pm

I honestly thought Aragones would not survive the celebrations.

The old man looked terrified.

:laugh:
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:25 pm

Kharhaz wrote:Im especially pleased with Aragones. Once the result was secure in matches off came Torres. Hes ended up the match winner for the final  and still fit after the tournament which can only be good news for Liverpool as he will be now on high for the new season. Brilliant goal as well.

To be honest i genuinley believe that he got lucky, lucky that Spains squad was so strong, taking Torres off for Guiza in that formation was a terrible decision and he invited Germany onto them when it shouldnt of happened.

Having said that i can understand the reasons behind it as it was a major final and given Spains recent history so fair enough, but it was more like we (England) play than a team that were a class above there opponents.

As i said though well in Spain.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:32 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:Im especially pleased with Aragones. Once the result was secure in matches off came Torres. Hes ended up the match winner for the final  and still fit after the tournament which can only be good news for Liverpool as he will be now on high for the new season. Brilliant goal as well.

To be honest i genuinley believe that he got lucky, lucky that Spains squad was so strong, taking Torres off for Guiza in that formation was a terrible decision and he invited Germany onto them when it shouldnt of happened.

Having said that i can understand the reasons behind it as it was a major final and given Spains recent history so fair enough, but it was more like we (England) play than a team that were a class above there opponents.

Imagine if Germany scored after torres was subbed off?

It would have made things interesting.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ribenaboy » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:33 pm

that's the difference between Torres and C.Ronaldo, Torres doesn't choke in big games!!
ribenaboy

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:36 pm

metalhead wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:

Imagine if Germany scored after torres was subbed off?

It would have made things interesting.

thats the point i was making in another thread mate, i think Aragones with his subs has been really poor and got lucky.

Still made up that he did like.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:00 am

Glad Spain won and thought Torres looked as good in a Spain shirt as he does in a LFC one.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SundanceKid » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:35 am

john craig wrote:I used to think Drogba was the best in the business at playing the lone striker role, but Torres is even better.  Totally different style but a better player.

I reckon we probably have about 2 seasons left to win the title before Gerrard and Carra are past their peak.  Similarly if we go another 2 seasons without winning a major trophy (title or CL) then people like Reina or even Torres might want a new challenge.  We desperately need to get the right players in quickly to compliment the likes of Gerrard and Torres before the whole side needs rebuilding.  Possibly 2 quality attacking players would do it.

I'd favour a classy winger and a striker.  With Crouch going, with Kuyt playing wide and with Voronin being very average, we would be royally fu.cked if Torres was to pick up a bad injury, so we need to bring in more quality up front, even if it isn't someone to necessarily play regularly with Torres.

I was too surprised by the way Torres handled himself as a lone striker. He played like he was practicing. Many times he broke through the German defense but kept getting caught by the last man. I happened to enjoy watching Torres fight back.
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby Reg » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:50 am

SundanceKid wrote:Many times he broke through the German defense but kept getting caught by the last man.

The missing piece of the jigsaw is what made Rush and Drogba brilliant as opposed to very good - toughness. Once Rushie smelt the goal a defender could not stop him, he used his hips, elbows, whatever, to ensure he scored... the mark of a goal hungry striker.

Once he develops that skill we can start dreaming the league again.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:42 am

john craig wrote:And still you will hear pundits rabbit on about Ronaldo being the best player in the world.  He didn't produce in the CL semis or final and he didn't produce in the EUROs when his team were up against it.  Once again the only impact he had was against lesser teams who Portugal bullied.

Torres has scored the winner in the final of the EUROs.  Although that alone doesn't make you the best player in the world, that coupled with his general play for Spain in this tournament and for Liverpool this season surely puts him up there and certainly ahead of Ronaldo imo.

Top post John... agreed 100%.

I've been thinking the same thing.... in the big games, against quality opponents, C.Ronaldo frequently has poor games. It seems to me, his ability and tricks are inversely proportional to the quality of the opponent......

Our own Nando on the hand.... class act. In the Owen v Nando poll early in the season, I'd stated at that time that it as too early to pick Nando over Owen due to their past respective track records..... Have to say that it's never been nicer to be SOOOOO wrong.

As good as he's been as the lone striker, I still think that he'd benefit from a strike partner.

Congrats Sabre! I'd imagine that you'd be well sloshed by now!
:D
ConnO'var

Postby SundanceKid » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:27 am

Reg wrote:
SundanceKid wrote:Many times he broke through the German defense but kept getting caught by the last man.

The missing piece of the jigsaw is what made Rush and Drogba brilliant as opposed to very good - toughness. Once Rushie smelt the goal a defender could not stop him, he used his hips, elbows, whatever, to ensure he scored... the mark of a goal hungry striker.

Once he develops that skill we can start dreaming the league again.

What gets me excited is the way he actually got physical in return for once. Torres usually uses his speed to escape a grabby defender but I guess he adapted to the physical side of football during the Euro, hopefully he'll stick with it in the Premier League. I do believe I'm giving a simple response, but all in all it makes sense
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby LegBarnes » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:17 am

i had £10 on torres to score in final and spain to win 6 games ago snaped up 25/1 odds

I knew spain would win i just knew it best set of spanish players i seen in years and they play as a team.

Fair play to the spanish no better team out there for me atm not even brazil.

:buttrock

I think we could see a spanish domanation for a few years ahead.

Puyol had a fantastic tonry didnt put a foot wrong , he for me was the best player.

Did you hear the comments on BBC "spanish played great tonight at times looked just like arsenal".

Tbh they looked better then arsenal they could play direct and cross the ball some thing the arsenal lack in massive quanaties.

If they played close to any style i say it was more like liverpool they just used the wings alot more then liverpool do but in there shape and setup you wouldnt have been surprised to see rafa on touch line shouting at torres : D

This year if we can get even 1 good winger we be flying i think in the prem.

YNWA..
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:54 am

On the subject of bets, our punters club had a great nite. Some one had £10 on Villa to top score and Spain to win - 40/1. Someone have £15 on spain to win, and i had £15 on torres to score first and spain to win - 15/2 - over £600 in wins for Claughton Punters Club.  Well in spain.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion