Torres has got a hamstring tear

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:30 am

Liverpool FC's Fernando Torres suffers hamstring tear
Sep 1 2008 by Nick Smith, Daily Post

FERNANDO TORRES is set to miss Liverpool’s meeting with Manchester United after he suffered a hamstring tear at Villa Park yesterday.

The Spanish striker, who sustained the injury after half an hour of the goalless draw with Aston Villa, will undergo a scan to assess the extent of the damage today.

But with Gerrard already doubtful for the Premier League clash at Anfield on September 13 following two groin operations, Rafael Benitez’s plans for the game have been thrown into chaos.

The Liverpool manager does expect Albert Riera to complete his £9m move form Espanyol today and refused to rule out further signings in the final few hours of

the transfer window.

But with Gerrard and Torres now out of their country’s World Cup qualifiers while they begin their recuperation, Benitez is hoping that, if they do miss the United game, they can regain fitness for the opening Champions League group game in Marseille the following Tuesday.

“We will have to wait and see what the scan says, and then wait and see over the next seven, 10 days,” said Benitez.

“It is a positive thing that we have this international break now.”

Liverpool turned in another disappointing attacking display at Villa, creating only a handful of chances.

But with returning Olympic medallists Javier Mascherano and Lucas back in midfield, plus a solid defensive performance, Benitez did take some positives from the game.

He said: “I think it was a tough game but we could have won it and we also could have lost it, so at the end of the day a point is good for both teams.

“Clearly when you are without Gerrard and after you lose Torres it is always a problem but the team was always working hard and it's a credit to the players.

“It was a pity today because we could have won the game so it could have been better but it's not bad to get a point here.

“We could see that Mascherano and Lucas are fantastic players with a very good mentality after returning from the Olympic Games. That's the positive thing for us.”

Benitez also backed Robbie Keane as his wait for his first Liverpool goal continued.

After being through on goal, a challenge from Nigel Reo-Coker seemed to prevent the Irishman getting in a clean strike, but claims for a penalty were turned down by Martin Atkinson.

Keane was then substituted in place for Yossi Benayoun in the closing stages of the game but Benitez said: “Robbie was working really hard. I was trying to use another player with fresh legs like Yossi for the final 15 minutes.

“Robbie did a very good job for the team. He started the game on the left side in the first half and then I put him through the middle as a second striker. He was always working well for the team and trying to make things happen for us.”

Meanwhile, Espanyol are delaying Riera’s move as they ponder making Anfield outcast Steve Finnan part of the deal.

The 32-year-old right-back has not figured in any of Benitez’s squads so far and is free to find a new club before the close of today, as are Jermaine Pennant and Andriy Vorornin.

FFS the footballing gods are not being kind to us.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:37 am

he hasn't had the scan yet. it'll be a month if its a serious tear and much less if its only a tweak. lets wait and see and keep our fingers crossed.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:39 am

How do they know its a tear without the scan ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:55 am

i will be surprised if it is a tear judging by the way he walked off and was showing no pain in his face, he was hardly even limping
112-1077774096

Postby Gerrard30391 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:12 am

GYBS wrote:How do they know its a tear without the scan ?

Exactly. Load of :censored:.

We won't know until the scan. If he and Gerrard are missing. Expect 1 upfront and the other 9 outfield players behind the ball, using the 1 upfront as a relief outlet.
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:14 am

Gerrard30391 wrote:

Exactly. Load of :censored:.

We won't know until the scan. If he and Gerrard are missing. Expect 1 upfront and the other 9 outfield players behind the ball, using the 1 upfront as a relief outlet.

you mean to give them a quick tug job if they get too stressed?

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:34 am

Another important player pulled out just before an international break  ???  :D all fresh and ready for our 2 most important games of the season so far, nice one Rafa   :buttrock
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:40 am

We need both Gerrard and Torres fit for the United clash, I hope the heavens will be looking down on us by the time this fixture comes around.

:(
66-1112520797

Postby lakes10 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:44 am

blood showing under the skin. come on i am sure some of you know that.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gerrard30391 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:47 am

lakes10 wrote:

Hey guys, we've got a new physio:P :bowdown
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:48 am

lakes10 wrote:

I actually didnt know that but I do now lol.

Anyway it's bad news indeed if we will be without both Torres and Gerrard for the scum game. I can only say 2 things.

1) Robbie Keane needs to step up and do something.
2) Get Michael Owen!!!! If I had a million £ I would bet that of any club right now in Europe MO would want to come back to us.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:52 am

Gerrard30391 wrote:
lakes10 wrote:

Hey guys, we've got a new physio:P :bowdown

lol this only happens in a bad case, it dont look nice  sometime the whole top part of your leg can go black.

If its not that bad you can just get blood spots on the skin. this is from where the muscle tissue is bleeding.
Last edited by lakes10 on Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:53 am

lakes10 wrote:

blood under the skin ? i hope to got he has got blood under his skin somewhere ?

the extent of the damage wont be known until the scan is done - i expect he felt a little twinge and came off straight away to ensure it wasnt serious - if there was a bad tear he wouldnt be walking like he was yesterday
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:55 am

its not what i was looking for but this is what i mean by blood under the skin.
Last edited by lakes10 on Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:07 am

:D Next you will be telling us he has MRSA lakes you happy chappy!

I dont think it looked that bad,more like a minor tweak.He obviously could'nt play on but he was'nt exactly writhing in agony which would have looked a hell of a lot worse!
We will just have to wait and see and keep or fingers crossed!
It could go either way they may both be back in time for UTD or both still injured! :(
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion